SAU Community

Project Scrawny

Trozzle

Yeah I really do think my back is lagging behind, though I partly blame it on the f**ked up spinal injury I awarded myself July last year lol. That, and I think I need to change my pull/back exercises up a bit, I'm plateauing on weight that isn't necessarily "heavy".

Apart from Deads, BB row and chins, I found that doing inverted rows to be quite good.

I have my hands at the same spot as when I bench, and I make sure my elbows travel the same path as when I bench.

Since you cant use extra weight, you can knock out a fair few reps.

Not so much a muscle building exerise but it allows you to activate a bunch of small muscles in the upper/middle back that don't do much when normal rowing or chins.

Don't let it replace your other lifts, just add it in if you want to give it a go.

You mean just hanging underneath the Olympic bar and pulling yourself up, while keeping heels on the ground? Yeah I've done those couple of times ages ago, liked the feeling after. Will do again.

Yes.

and when you bench, you want to lift the most weight possible right? so you involve everything you can.. legs, lats, triceps, delts and pecs.

I'm not talking about a close grip press where your elbows come close to touching your ribs, I'm saying that a natural path for your elbows when benching should NOT be flared out to the sides.

45 degrees from your sides would roughly be the natural path.

you said "for some reason my db bench died in the ass"

strengthen your lats and triceps and see how your bench goes.

While I do agree that my bench form wouldn't be optimal, though I don't think that was the cause of my weight dripping. Eating habits got slack, stress from outside sources drove motivation down, then I got tonsillitis for the first time in over a decade...lol excuses excuses

Got halfway through today and realised I haven't actually had any carbs (unless you count onion/egg/steak as having enough in them)...no wonder I'm so grumpy and got sick of squats so quickly lol. Ehh, let's just push through until dinner without any carbs, make me appreciate that shit.

Just thought whilst scouring the forums i could assist. always happy to help (time forbidding)

Trozzle, "suppine rows" is the term for a pull up underneath the bar. The wider your grip the more of your lats are at play. so in reverse could assist somewhat in your DB chest press.

Not to go over old territory but just observing your deadlift. Also try adding a slight shrug at the top, extra muscle usage cant hurt. When keeping your eyesight aimed directly in front of you whilst taking the wait off the ground you will notice your traps activating automatically, further to this, adding the shrug when locking your back in can also assist. Weightlifting and wanting to add on extra size is all about those little bit extras.

gtst - inverted row is similar to suppine row, to add a little extra on there for you, place a fitball under your feet for more core activation and whack a 20 kilo plate on your stomach (watch out for the crown jewels though if so)

Last but not least. with the inverted/suppine rows. Use the Smith machine bar. You can lock in much easier on the bar, plus if you were to superset you can bring the bar down if fatigue sets in to lower the length of your reps. (hope that makes sense)

*I havent read your whole thread and have no idea on your injuries, body type etc so please dont take my advice should you foresee any injuries occuring from this*

P.s. watch your L2 and L3 in your back with deadlifts on a heavy weight.

Cheers for the advice mate, much appreciated! I have thrown in the "suppine" rows in last 2 sessions (had to split pull day in half) and can definitely feel it. Also dropped back to 120kg deads and focused on locking lower back and pushing the ground away with my legs, feels as though it's made a difference. upper and mid traps are feeling it too

gtst - inverted row is similar to suppine row, to add a little extra on there for you, place a fitball under your feet for more core activation and whack a 20 kilo plate on your stomach (watch out for the crown jewels though if so)

I train at home so my gym doesn't have faggotry equipment like fit balls.

I use inverted/suppine rows purely for activation of muscles to help with bench.

Don't need to try and add weight to it and possibly drop a plate.

Bent over BB row is where I would use weight.

for $20 buy a "top bloke" fitball a nice pink one :-) and use a plate on your suppine rows. core activation and strengthening can provide massive gains in heavy lifts. Your bent over bb rows would benefit from it as well. again watch your L2 and L3 if going heavy.

From western force (perth rugby team) through to AFL, core focus and activation is playing a major part in training not just for agility but also size.

you can also lower the risk of hernias through squats etc by providing more core support. Keep that in mind.

meh..... while i have a quick break at work i will also give you this little tip.

Get 2 metres of bungy rubber cord. $5 - $8 all it costs. It will be your best friend if you dont have anyone to train with at home.

for your suppine's tie the bungy to each side of the bottom corner of the legs of the bench. Now grab a tea towel, place mat etc and put it on your stomach. You have to make sure though that you have pulled it nice and tight other wise it stretches too much.

This now gives you resistance whilst doing suppines and much cheaper than buying plates if you dont have them and of course cheaper than thermo/resistance bands

next step, place one end of the bungee rubber cord under the legs of your bench/home gym. and Taaa Daaa, you now have your own cable machine. again, make it tight :-)