SAU Community

Project Scrawny

Trozzle

christ man, 30kg weighted dips is decent as hell.

hehe cheers mate :D 8 - 10 reps at that weight too ;)

Got a full set of bench dips (feet on one bench, hands on another) with 70kg on my lap too, form dropped off on the last couple though (elbows out).

Yet at the same time I struggle with more than 70kg on bench press. FML

lol farrk, I'm gonna start smashing my arms harder now. 70kg on your lap? How doesn't that bend your knees backwards?

Btw, have you taken girth measurements at all? Curious as to arm size especially after hearing those triceps figures (no homo)

Edited by TM7GTR

lol farrk, I'm gonna start smashing my arms harder now. 70kg on your lap? How doesn't that bend your knees backwards?

Btw, have you taken girth measurements at all? Curious as to arm size especially after hearing those triceps figures (no homo)

Nah I haven't honestly. I'll do that right now...

Both arms measure in the same at 13". Measured with arms straight and relaxed.

DB skullcrushers I can only do 12kg though, haven't tried with the easycurl bar.

Standing easycurl bicep curls my work set (8 reps) is bar +12.5kg each side, for reference to bicep size.

Dunno why my dip strength is so good, when freeweight triceps I'm pretty average.

those numbers are good Trozzle, definitely making consistent progress, well done

I'm the same with regards to weighted dips vs bench press... I can dip with a heap of weight on the belt but my bench press is average at best

• 3 weeks later...

Anything horribly wrong with my deadlift form (at least regarding my back)? 4th rep lower back didn't quite keep up, but was still fine.

Pushed out 2 sets of 3 reps @140kg after this, which is a new PB for me :D

nothing horribly wrong, only thing I'd suggest is to use your legs more (drive through your heels) because it looks like you don't move your legs much

Yeah I agree, sometimes it really feels as though my legs aren't doing much...though the bar does drag over my upper shins as I lift it, then down over my knees as I lower it

Mate your lower back is heading for an injury.

It gets loose as soon as you put pressure through it.

Just before the weight breaks the floor, your lower back, just above the top of your arse, lifts.

It needs to be tight.. Tight as R31 owners.

If I were you I wouldn't be going any heavier till you sort out that form issue.

Watch your vid again.

It's not just your 4th rep (although it is worse than the others), it's on all reps.

Mate your lower back is heading for an injury.

It gets loose as soon as you put pressure through it.

Just before the weight breaks the floor, your lower back, just above the top of your arse, lifts.

It needs to be tight.. Tight as R31 owners.

If I were you I wouldn't be going any heavier till you sort out that form issue.

Watch your vid again.

It's not just your 4th rep (although it is worse than the others), it's on all reps.

Ah yep, I see it. Thanks for that. I suspect that will be cause by me overthinking the initial part of the lift - probably thinking I'm using my lower back too much when really, I'm not keeping it tight enough.

Cheers for the heads up, I'll give it some more shots with video and make sure to get rid of that. Will do it on lower weight of course.

here is another thing to think while doing deads.

Instead of trying to lift the bar up, try to picture yourself holding on to the bar while you push the ground away with your heels.

Sounds stupid but if you do it, you get the leg drive you are supposed to use when deadlifting.

You're movement is somewhere between a dead lift and a stiff legged deadlift where you use your back more.

Back should be locked, legs should drive the ground away from the bar, and hips and buttocks lock the bar in to standing position.

LOCK back

Drive ground away

f**k the bar (as in thrust your hips forward) once the legs are locked out.

Edited by GTST

I'm having trouble getting my head around that - the bar already drags against my shins so without letting my shoulders slump forward I can't think of how to use my legs more than my back. Could you please find a YouTube video that demonstrates it correctly as you're explaining it?

Video will look the same as any other deadlift.

It's a CUE to make you think about what does the work.

good tutorial is RIPPETOE DEADLIFT on youtube.

tells you where your feet should be before you start etc.

I start with my shins about 2 inches from the bar.

I hold the bar, then squat down till my shins touch the bar, lock my back and push with my legs.

The bar just drags up my shins.

Don't know why your shoulders would slump forward when using legs.. they should also be locked with your back.

Video will look the same as any other deadlift.

It's a CUE to make you think about what does the work.

good tutorial is RIPPETOE DEADLIFT on youtube.

tells you where your feet should be before you start etc.

I start with my shins about 2 inches from the bar.

I hold the bar, then squat down till my shins touch the bar, lock my back and push with my legs.

The bar just drags up my shins.

Don't know why your shoulders would slump forward when using legs.. they should also be locked with your back.

ok I'll try giving that a shot - I usually have the bar even with the the "middle" of my feet before I lift.

I'm mixing things up a little in my mind, I'm thinking that when you say drive with your legs more you mean have my back closer to vertical before I begin the lift. You mean get the bar moving upward from rest using legs, then towards the top of the lift pulling back at the hips to bring my body vertical?

Feeling good after tonight, up to 40kg DB press. Only 6 then 5 reps, but good enough for me. More than I've managed for a LONG time. Have also pushed up to 30kg incline press...dunno why I'm so far behind there, f**king shoulders lol

You'll probably find it's your back strength lagging behind your chest. I started training my back more with a few different variations of rows, and my bench has started moving again.

40kg db bench is pretty good!

Edited by GHOSTrun