SAU Community

Living With A 35 Gtr - Affordable?

ricknismo

Guys I am toying with a few ideas and as I have had a 32 GTR,33 GTR Vspec,34 Vspec and a 34 V spec II well you can guess what I am considering next.

I'm more concerned that as I get older and the fact there are no tracks around, if a 35 is the way to go.

I have got insurance quotes that are livable but it seems tyres are dear and oils are dear, is there other costs to account for?

What is servicing like?

I am also considering a 2008 M3, a 2006 M5 2010 Camaro or even going completely off track and try to find something along the lines of a 69 Camaro with LS1, AC, power steering and possibly modern brakes and suspension as more of a cruiser.

I'm just confused, but looking that the current tradein value of a 09 GTR is 90k from 155k new...that's scary.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've always considered upgrading to the 2011 r35 but I love my 34R nur. I just can't do it. R34's still look just as tough.

Good thing about an R35 is that it just about munches anything :)

With the 34R (assuming almost stock) you just have to spend a nice 10-20k for a nice satisfied benchmark.

Keeeeeeep it :D

This should give you an idea of the performance difference of the R35 vs R32/33/34. The R35 is stock standard and all the other GTR's are worked like crazy. The stock R35 is right up the bum of the 33 and 34 for the entire race, neither can get away from the 35. My next question is if they put a fully worked R35 against the same cars how far in front would the R35 be?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkSWZF3UroQ

yep ALOT more than 10-20k in those race prep'd GTRs

re laptimes, the mines R35 did a 59:367 in dry conditions at Tsukuba in 2008 - and that version of their car was with mainly aero, exhaust and ecu mods only

dont believe HKS bother to run their GT800 car at Tsukuba as it's simply out grown it - Fuji is the new benchmark

who wants to start a collection for the 'send handbrake to tsukuba' fund

Edited by domino_z

plenty of great low km R35's come up for sale. many are fantastic value.

buy one for close to 100k and spend 60-70k on a built engine with alpha 9/10 kit and some tranny upgrades is what I would do

running costs can be kept reasonable if you are smart and hunt around for things in advance. you get screwed though if you rely on nissan for servicing and supplying parts

I have driven them all and owned most of them and I can't deny that a 35 is phenomally different to the point that I would call the 35 a super car, I just am not sure if I can live with that much tied up in a car if they have devalued over 70k in 2 years. I got rid of my 34 as the offer was right and I just felt like a change.

I agree with the others, keep the 34. It looks baws. Haha that's my new word for today. :).

Put some money into it and be happy with it. And you have a full manual, if that's you're thing. I know that's mainly the determining factor for me.

But I also don't have a 100k to drop on a car haha. Let alone keep up with the running costs of it.

I've always considered upgrading to the 2011 r35 but I love my 34R nur. I just can't do it. R34's still look just as tough.

Good thing about an R35 is that it just about munches anything :)

With the 34R (assuming almost stock) you just have to spend a nice 10-20k for a nice satisfied benchmark.

Keeeeeeep it :D

do it nathan.

DO IT

If money is not a problem go with the r35. That said, the r34 is a drivers car imo. If I had the money I'd probably have a highly modded r34, manual ftw!

If money was no problem then you would just have both :nyaanyaa:

Guys I am toying with a few ideas and as I have had a 32 GTR,33 GTR Vspec,34 Vspec and a 34 V spec II well you can guess what I am considering next.

I'm more concerned that as I get older and the fact there are no tracks around, if a 35 is the way to go.

I have got insurance quotes that are livable but it seems tyres are dear and oils are dear, is there other costs to account for?

What is servicing like?

I am also considering a 2008 M3, a 2006 M5 2010 Camaro or even going completely off track and try to find something along the lines of a 69 Camaro with LS1, AC, power steering and possibly modern brakes and suspension as more of a cruiser.

I'm just confused, but looking that the current tradein value of a 09 GTR is 90k from 155k new...that's scary.

I would contribute these points:

If you have no tracks near where you live and/or you have no intention of tracking the car, why would you buy this car?

If you can afford the buy price, insurance shouldnt be a worry. Ditto tyres and fluids, however don't even think about using Nissan for consumables nor servicing. You will pay AT LEAST 2x the price and get relatively inferior product for your efforts.

Servicing is nothing too difficult or spectacular, there is no great magic really.

As far as your depreciation comment goes, all cars with this sort of value will lose $1k to $2k a month in value. That's right - the car will depreciate between $10k ~ $20k per year, for the next few years - which is probably going to be your biggest cost/loss right there. And if you're financing, add up the finance costs, together with the depreciation + rego/insurance, then suddenly servicing is actually the least of the ownership cost.

If you want a fun road car for shits and giggles, get the LS1 camaro. Chances are it will probably retain most of its value (if that's your primary concern).

But most important, and having said all this negativity BS, buy what makes you happy. You only live once ;)