SAU Community

Oil Cooler With Thermostat And Relocation Kit

Crawl under??? i always get my filter from the top? lol. I think he told me something about the drainback valve not working to flash when mounted vertical also.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was strongly advised by a very reputable rb builder to not relocate filter, sure cooler, but dont touch relocation kits. More shit to go wrong, more leaks to have, and the factory position is fine anyway, use cardboard so you dont make a mess. problem solved. Each to their own but teehee.gif

have you tried changing the filter in a gtr? a 25 is a piece of piss by comparison. relocator is a massive convenience in a gtr

Crawl under??? i always get my filter from the top? lol. I think he told me something about the drainback valve not working to flash when mounted vertical also.

Usually get it from underneath to try save on mess, I line the sub-frame rack etc with rags/towels to catch any oil, then wash it down after.

I've just bought a JJR Oil Cooler and Filter Relocation Kit because I'm planning to start tracking my 33 GTST this year.

It does not come with a thermostat but I saw a suggestion of making up a small cover which can clip to the cooler during the cooler months when you're not at the track or driving in 30+ degree days, if you're concerned about over cooling your oil. $10 in materials and you'll have a durable cover which will effectively stop the cooler from working when its not required.

Might be a better idea for you?

I was strongly advised by a very reputable rb builder to not relocate filter, sure cooler, but dont touch relocation kits. More shit to go wrong, more leaks to have,

Only crap kits leak. I spent $800 on an HKS cooler and relocation kit a couple of years ago and have had no issues.

OP, if you cant afford a high quality kit, do nothing and just watch the temperatures. Cheap kits are notorious for leaking, some even weeping through the hoses.

Of the four kits you showed, I'd go Risking :thumbsup:

I just looked at the hel kit with thermostatic sanga plate. buy from hel uk site 460 AUD including postage. whole kit for r33 gts/r.

I bought one, i currently have a chinese cooler that never let me down... but i want thermostat now because i scrapped the factory oil heater :thumbsup:

Note postage is 5 days tops... Hel australia want 700+++.........

Cant go wrong imho...

I've just bought a JJR Oil Cooler and Filter Relocation Kit because I'm planning to start tracking my 33 GTST this year.

It does not come with a thermostat but I saw a suggestion of making up a small cover which can clip to the cooler during the cooler months when you're not at the track or driving in 30+ degree days, if you're concerned about over cooling your oil. $10 in materials and you'll have a durable cover which will effectively stop the cooler from working when its not required.

Might be a better idea for you?

Looked at this option too, i'd much rather the thermostat though as it automatically controls the oil temp by keeping it at ~80-90 degrees, rather than just removing the cover when the weather's hot.

Over cooled oil will do as little as under cooled oil, thus everyone says/knows not to flog a cold car as there is pressure but low flow to the internals.....

Only crap kits leak. I spent $800 on an HKS cooler and relocation kit a couple of years ago and have had no issues.

OP, if you cant afford a high quality kit, do nothing and just watch the temperatures. Cheap kits are notorious for leaking, some even weeping through the hoses.

Of the four kits you showed, I'd go Risking :thumbsup:

I think is someones willing to provide a replacement warranty on an item and put their name to it then it can't be as bad as ebay etc?

Can someone recommend a good brand/quality oil cooler and adaptor plate? I'd be happy to spend a few extra dollars for good gear, then have the lines made up....

Edited by blk94r33

http://www.derale.com/

http://shop.perma-cool.com/Transmission-Fluid-Engine-Oil-Thermostats_c10.htm

inline perma-cool $50 when i got mine,

i looked in Australia & most wanted $140 + postage.

i like builtin ones ,

just shop about as you will find a good deal.

Cheers Chuckie.

excellenmt thread......have just been looking into all of this myself

Cheers thumbsup.gif

A lot of the cheaper kits do not come with a thermostat and people say just to add one on. Where abouts do you get these thermostats from and how do you add them into the cooler kit to be functional on the car.

Same problem i'm having, the missing features are simply "add on", but it's not that simple.

This is the plate i'll most likely be using (part no. 12401114). It mounts say on the strut tower, and goes in between an adaptor plate from the engine and the oil cooler, flows oil through the filter when cold then filter and cooler when it gets to +80 degrees celcius.

http://greddy.net.au...&SubCategory=88

Other option is something like this:

http://www.motionaer...Thermostats.pdf

Same job, but would fit in the return line to the engine (effectively)

Hope that helps. smile.gif

Edited by blk94r33

Hi team. Few questions.

I have already a few parts from an old car.

http://www.frsport.com/Setrab-Oil-Cooler-50-625-7612--6-Series-25-Row-M22-Threaded-Ports_p_15182.html

http://www.frsport.com/Greddy-12401114-Remote-Oil-Filter-Relocation-with-Thermostat_p_12814.html

and some lines.

Now i have the R33.

What is the part that i need to go on the engine block where the filter would normally sit?

On the sr I had this:

http://www.frsport.com/Tomei-193068-N2-Super-Oil-Block-Adapter-for-Nissan-SR20DET-Motors_p_2572.html

but cant seem to find a similar item for the RB.

Is there a similar item or a screw on type i can use?

Earls do everything you require. If you want a quote to supply as broken down components let me know and I can work something out for you.

Only going to supply top shelf quality components though not cheap crap.

I think is someones willing to provide a replacement warranty on an item and put their name to it then it can't be as bad as ebay etc?

Can someone recommend a good brand/quality oil cooler and adaptor plate? I'd be happy to spend a few extra dollars for good gear, then have the lines made up....