SAU Community

Piglet's Rebuild Of His Busted Tomei 2.8

So for anyone who has got an RB in the last 5 years here is a video you should watch if you are looking at upgrading from your "outdated" PFC or nistune.

I would post this in some GT-R facebook groups but the knuckle draggers that are giving people bad advice would not be able to understand this video anyway.

This is really old news. Not sure hearing it from a more effeminate Steven Seagal adds much more to the discussion. 

Plenty of people getting around with a variety of ECUs and mild power levels not having drama. 

Fresh belt/new tensioner and not tuned on the ragged edge seems to work well enough. CAS disc upgrades available also.  

Good info for people wanting to max out a setup or making bigger power, but nothing new in that clip that hasn't been covered here? 

• Like 1

Correct it is really old news, yet a lot of newer people don't know about it.

Knowledge is power :D and this thread is a good example of building an setup to it's maximum potential. I wouldn't call the CAS disc and upgrade more a downgrade in sample rate.

On 27/10/2017 at 3:38 PM, ActionDan said:

These clips are hilarious. 

Who the f**k is this spanner lol 

Haha mate he has more knowledge than anyone on this forum. Not to mention is a top bloke. Has sorted issues I've had with setup a at weird hours of the day even when I was on the dyno. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Still shaking from just how COMPLETELY f**king mental this car is....

Was absolutely pinned to the seat....with my life flashing before my eyes as the RB28 pulled harder and harder with every shift.......

In a split second you've run out of road......nek minnit hard on the 6 POT brakes & damn near flying through the windscreen from the stopping power of a russian army......

There was a point in 4th where it actually felt like I swallowed my stomach.....the pull is JUST MENTAL all the way through the rev range. Once we were back to the house, I clambered out of the car and collapsed on the ground in the fetal position.... it felt like I'd gone 10 rounds with george foreman....

A twin setup, to put it simply, has absolutely farknnnn nothing on the Piggaz 2.8L/HKS Head/EFR combo.

The transient response of the EFR is absolutely unreal... its hard to put into words just how good it is, but put simply there's not a turbo out there that could come close. The power is literally just "THERE", right at your foot. It's instant & completely useable. When you're feathering the throttle it behaves like a highly strung N/A....and once you're into it it's like you've opened the gates of hell.....HOLD THE F**K ON M8..HOLD THE F**K ONNNNN...

Lag.....what lag? THERE IS NONE. Wanna take a corner at full noise? Yup, no problem. The car is so damn composed and balanced that its actually possible to drive the car for everything it's made for......the car is literally how every GTR should be built......... fkn build of the decade.

Rating: 10/10

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, BakemonoRicer said:

Still shaking from just how COMPLETELY f**king mental this car is....

Was absolutely pinned to the seat....with my life flashing before my eyes as the RB28 pulled harder and harder with every shift.......

In a split second you've run out of road......nek minnit hard on the 6 POT brakes & damn near flying through the windscreen from the stopping power of a russian army......

There was a point in 4th where it actually felt like I swallowed my stomach.....the pull is JUST MENTAL all the way through the rev range. Once we were back to the house, I clambered out of the car and collapsed on the ground in the fetal position.... it felt like I'd gone 10 rounds with george foreman....

A twin setup, to put it simply, has absolutely farknnnn nothing on the Piggaz 2.8L/HKS Head/EFR combo.

The transient response of the EFR is absolutely unreal... its hard to put into words just how good it is, but put simply there's not a turbo out there that could come close. The power is literally just "THERE", right at your foot. It's instant & completely useable. When you're feathering the throttle it behaves like a highly strung N/A....and once you're into it it's like you've opened the gates of hell.....HOLD THE F**K ON M8..HOLD THE F**K ONNNNN...

Lag.....what lag? THERE IS NONE. Wanna take a corner at full noise? Yup, no problem. The car is so damn composed and balanced that its actually possible to drive the car for everything it's made for......the car is literally how every GTR should be built......... fkn build of the decade.

Rating: 10/10

Great post  Mr Ricer, I crapped the first time I opened mine up and I was the one pushing the peddle, I have been with Paul and have never been a good passenger , so no need to say anything else, LOL

Cannot wait to see a  Hillclimb vid  from the Whale :249_whale:

Those sequentials must be mad to use on a car like Pauls :521_rocket: 

1 hour ago, fatz said:

Lol pigsarse has a stalker

hopefully he doesn't do a Michael Hutchins while thinking of your car and you "shift"

Lol maybe you should lend him your belt so its long enough for him to reach the ground? ?

17 hours ago, BakemonoRicer said:

Very nice review!  I drove this year back in 2013, before the sequential and before the EFR8374 and in all honesty - even then it was a high bar to set for "how a GTR should be" in a lot of ways.   Prior to this we had many debates about twins vs single turbos and this was meant to open my eyes in terms of how twins were better, and I have to be honest.... it did surpass my expectations at that point, but while I felt I was a bit of a rude motherf**ker at the time being allowed to drive this mans AMAZING setup and still stick to my guns with the "but it'd be better with a nice modern single on it" line, I'm glad I did and I'm glad he moved on.

I seriously can't really imagine what it is like now with the new gearbox and the EFR8374 on the roads he built it for.  I have to admit that I get the shakes a bit imagining it doing what it was built to without a cage.  But yes, even without experiencing the latest form - but yet again hats off to what you've built, Mr Pig.

@BakemonoRicer - should give the EFR thread in Forced induction a bit of a nudge now you've lost your EFR cherry, it's probably beating a dead horse to death but there are still plenty of people who are dubious of the transient response magic of these things.

Edited by Lithium

• 2 weeks later...