SAU Community

Wheels Sticking Out Of Arches. Illegal?

Bringing back an old topic, I don't think highway patrol care about 'poke' as long as the wheel is sitting pretty much in the guard
Two officers checked my car yesterday after they pulled me over for a random check and said nothing about my stretch or poke.
However it may depend on the police officers too.

735041 413290632084687 2387347 N

while its nice to have deep dish, flushed wheels... wheels that stick out, IMO look weird.

btw anyone knows what a good offset for 19x9.5jj wheels to be on the BNR34?

also, if the overall diameter of the wheel + tire is close to stock...is it legal?

also, if the overall diameter of the wheel + tire is close to stock...is it legal?

[quoted from VicRoads here]

"The overall diameter of any replacement rim and tyre must not be:

-more than 15mm greater than the largest diameter tyre specified by the vehicle manufacturer for that model or vehicle series, or

-more than 15mm less than the smallest diameter tyre specified by the vehicle manufacturer for that model or vehicle series"

[quoted from VicRoads here]

"The overall diameter of any replacement rim and tyre must not be:

-more than 15mm greater than the largest diameter tyre specified by the vehicle manufacturer for that model or vehicle series, or

-more than 15mm less than the smallest diameter tyre specified by the vehicle manufacturer for that model or vehicle series"

thanks for clearing that up =)

while its nice to have deep dish, flushed wheels... wheels that stick out, IMO look weird.

btw anyone knows what a good offset for 19x9.5jj wheels to be on the BNR34?

+12

i think it was said a few pages back, but that might be the 'increased track' rule,

But Rims and tyres must also not "foul any part of the body, suspension, steering or brake components; at any position of suspension travel, steering movement and when in the straight ahead position"

[Keep in mind, this is coming from the Victorian Vehicle Standards Information]

Edited by alex182

i'd imagine as long as the tops of the guards don't foul the tyres it'd be ok. as long as you're not running ridiculous amounts of camber.

Lots of cars have bumpers that narrow inwards

Stanced cars have always looked broken to me. Especially from the rear, and I dont see the point of fitting massively wide wheels only to camber them in just to fit the tyre into the top of the guard

With that amount of camber and lack of rubber on the road, stiff suspension and crappy tyres (in most cases) braking performance goes down the toilet

Edited by junkie
  • Like 1

Yeah, plenty of these cars you see around are just funny to watch. thanks to the stupidly stiff suspension they bounce around worse than a vn commodore that's sitting on the bump stops.

People seem to think that stiff coilovers are going to make the car handle like it's on rails. This might be the case if you drive around on a big sheet of glass, but in most roads a car with stock suspension will out perform a car that bounces around all over the place

^^yep, couldnt agree more, when i got my 32gtst the f*kn thing was stupidly low on stiff springs, whilst it looked the goods it skipped/bounced over every bump on the road, i returned it too standard and it was a LOT more pleasant to drive

Yeah, plenty of these cars you see around are just funny to watch. thanks to the stupidly stiff suspension they bounce around worse than a vn commodore that's sitting on the bump stops.

People seem to think that stiff coilovers are going to make the car handle like it's on rails. This might be the case if you drive around on a big sheet of glass, but in most roads a car with stock suspension will out perform a car that bounces around all over the place

I beg to differ, my coilied 34 handled so so so so so much better than my stock 34

what spring rates did you have? i bet they weren't 11 or 12kg springs like what some people put in. ones like the tiens only have about 8kg springs and will actually ride well. i had some unknown rate coil overs put in the front of my 180sx when i still had it. they were in there for 3 days before i pulled them out and put the old shocks with the old lowered springs back in. i went around a corner near home at 40kmh and started to bounce onto the wrong side of the road. i could normally take it at about 60kmh and be on the verge of losing traction.

thanks for the pic alex182 :)

the "poke" look, looks so wrong and possibly dangerous.

mad082: I think its not just stiff springs that causes it. I believe the phenomenon is bump steer...and it could also be due to the insufficient suspension travel that would cause the car to bounce. I had the Tein superdrift in my 180sx with hardness setting to slight more than half. I have also tried with the max hardness setting... high speed sprints (~220km/h) and corners (~90km/h) were fantastic. car was really planted to the ground and traction was amazing...but of course proper camber and toe in are required as well...

Tein Superdrift spring rates are 10kg front and 12kg rear if i rem correctly.