SAU Community

Paul's R34 Gtr Tarmac Rally (Re)Build

paulR32gtr

You still running glass windows?

Is it just the quarters that are plastic?

Are they from the the UK?

Yeah all glass except for the quarters. From Plastics4Performance in the UK - 4mm with the hard coat from memory. Not cheap - my mate got a full set of door, quarters and rear in the normal for the same price as my quarters. But I wanted them to look as factory as possible and wear well given they get temp numbers drawn on regularly.

• 3 weeks later...

What did the qtrs cost you landed?

Too much! Hard to justify it now I look back at it. They were about 450gbp including the nacas, they cut the holes for you and do a good job of it.

With some ducting it works quite well. Though probably just better off winding the windows down, but I find it a bit distracting which is part of the reason I had a go with these.

• 3 months later...

Well after blowing 2 turbos in ~2,500kms it seems we are starting to get some reliability out of the car.

The comp wheel on the front turbo seemed to be having problems up at higher RPM's that was not showing up on the balancing machine. This was causing the front bearing to flog out. The first one lasted a couple of thousand kms, the second one lasted the dyno and a run up in the hills, then first session, first corner at Phillip Island it let go again. Luckily it was just the bearing in the cartridge that went, the wheels / shaft / housings were all OK. So the turbo guys seem to have fixed it this time, turbo holding together.

I also had a faulty radiator cap that wasn't holding any pressure - those little things that could potentially bring down an engine! Now running a slightly higher pressure cap and temps are fantastic - water peaks around 78 deg, and oil at full noise fluctuates happily between 90 and 100 with short peaks of 104/106.

Rear diff housing had some hairline cracks as well and was weeping, so it was replaced with one of these Greddy covers with some increased capacity.

IMG_1001_zps3ea3023b.jpg

Single large Walbro pump was switched for two smaller 255lph units in anticipation of an E85 map in the not too distant future. Only running one of the pumps at the moment until some better earthing can be sorted out to handle the second pump.

So with all that in place hit Phillip Island for the weekend for the PIARC sprints. Car weighed in at ~1,606kg with a full tank, no driver. I am 93kg so lugging a fair bit around after you add a navigator and a few other odds and ends in full rally trim.

Saturday practice great weather but I started to get some fuel surge at certain parts of the track turning right feeding power on, with a full tank. So I had to drive around it for a best of 1:52. My goal for the weekend being get into the 40's. So for Sunday I switched to the other pump which fixed the issue and managed to get out a 1:47.9 in the last session with consistent 48's.

Still not the tidiest lap, and my gear changes were rubbish all day for but I am happy with the progress. I still reckon after an alignment, slightly higher track temps and a few more weet-bix it has another second or two in it.

• 6 months later...

Preparations for Targa High Country in a weeks time are in full swing. Last years event we struggled badly with suspension that was set up completely wrong / not at all, ironing other bugs out with the car, in addition to getting our heads back in the game. Feeling much better prepared this year.

Nothing has happened engine wise other than some tweaking/balancing of the wastegate actuators which netted a little extra power on the dyno. Still running on BP98/united100 for now, need to work out how to get extra earthing into the tank to have the second pump running before we can move to E85 - have been looking at this as a solution http://powertune.com.au/products/by-brand/powertune/powertune-twin-in-tank-fuel-pump-kit-r33-r34.html

On the suspension side the car has been corner weighted and all settings looked at and adjusted. The car *feels* good in the corners to me now, and very stable under hard braking, will see how this translates in a weeks time. The front sub frame was out of alignment resulting in 20mm shorter wheel base on one side, making it impossible to get the car to drive straight, so this was all corrected.

We are required to run RallySafe computers this year which is a good thing, antenna installed and everything ready to go. There is a bolt on option, but not a fan of the thought of drilling through the roof just yet.

IMG_1913_zps72a14341.jpg

I can now also tell what speed I am doing via this little do whacky part of the vbox system.

IMG_1914_zpsebb7d6e4.jpg

My heated windscreen didn't arrive in time so I have had to go with a stick on solution. What a pain that was with the screen in, the double sided tape for the rubber end pieces was useless so super glue was required, and putting the elements on .. . errrm well I wish I could say I was down a couple of beers, best done with the screen out... but it works

IMG_1918_zps819022f8.jpg

Wow Paul!

You sure do know how to capture my attention with theses motorsport build threads.

The R34 GTR looks just amazing considering who it looked from the first page to now.

That cage is a piece of art - more importantly is ready for business.

The Z-Tune look, including matching paint color makes it look tough.

Keep it man............keen to see more progress resulting from this.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 8 years later...

Seems I never uploaded any of my footage for 2012 or 2013. Will remedy.

This car will be getting some love shortly now the 32 is moving. There is a good 2 hours of evicting red back families slated for first mod.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

Been pottering on it last few weekends. Red back evictions completed.

Got a battery back in and redid some of the lugs to accomodate larger bolts into the new batteries poles.

Fuel gague read empty with the fuel light coming on every now and then so I tried to drop in 25l of fresh 98 and it almost overflowed. So just drained the tank out with the fuel pump. Not sure what to do with the 65 litres of varnish I pulled out.

Fingers crossed fresh fuel helps the cause and I can get it out for a wash.