SAU Community

What's Going On In These Pictures?

jukic.j

Is the last photo supposed to be up there?

looks as though the rear seal in the gearbox is leaking slightly, hard to say for sure from the pictures but looks like it has a slow leak and as you drive along it pushes all the oil back into the exhaust

It had a heavy duty clutch put in just before I bought it so guessing the mechanic did a shit job?

The fluid on the exhaust is dripping down from above.

Theist pic I thought I'd pic there just in case and if I don't get an answer for it I'll post it in a thread on the suspension section.

What do I do about the leak? Take if back to the mechanic and get him to do if properly this time?

Thats a leak?

I can't see where it's actually dripping.

Even if it is leaking, it's an advanced anti rust feature that slowly administers an advanced lubricant to the under carriage. Ingenious design!

R33 GTS-T

With regards to the last picture what I experience sometimes is a similar sensation to driving over one of those street lines that has all the bumps and kind of hums. So I figured the tyres were rubbing on something. And if you look in the pic on the bit of metal above the wheel you see it has been rubbing on that but I can't find a particular circumstance when it occurs. Probably happens most when going downhill.

Yeah I wouldnt stress about that, I have about the same gap on my UCA and dont have any issues. Is the rubbing in a straight line or when turning, I think from your description it is just straight driving. Its not the tyre rubbing on the inner guards or anything like that? mine does that sometimes.

O.K so where it is rubbing should move with the wheel as it is attatched to the hub. Should be able to see what I'm talking about from these screenshots:

This is the front hub:

fronthub_zps7ab27689.jpg

I've circled the bit in red to match it up to the front suspension:

FrontSuspension_zps48bb9f16.jpg

So the red bit is what joins the hub to the arm that you can see rubbing on. So the only way I can see the tyre rubbing here is if you have to much wear in the 'king pin' or somewhere there. It shouldnt be able to rub there as it should move with the tyre/suspension so I would check around there to make sure there arent any problems

Perhaps take it somewhere for a suspension check. Like pedders etc and tell them what its doing

Edited by 89CAL

Not in the engine bay, that's for sure. You know where the gearbox is? The fill hole is on the side of it. Check level there. Car on hoist stuff.

Yeah I thought it probably was, was hoping for an easy check I guess. Need a hoist? Can't get under there with a trolley jack and stands?

O.K so where it is rubbing should move with the wheel as it is attatched to the hub. Should be able to see what I'm talking about from these screenshots:

This is the front hub:

fronthub_zps7ab27689.jpg

I've circled the bit in red to match it up to the front suspension:

FrontSuspension_zps48bb9f16.jpg

So the red bit is what joins the hub to the arm that you can see rubbing on. So the only way I can see the tyre rubbing here is if you have to much wear in the 'king pin' or somewhere there. It shouldnt be able to rub there as it should move with the tyre/suspension so I would check around there to make sure there arent any problems

Perhaps take it somewhere for a suspension check. Like pedders etc and tell them what its doing

Yeah can't even understand how it's possible...

just undo the bung on the side of the gearbox (with the car level of course). stick your finger in the hole, there should be oil right up to the hole, but no more. if you have to shove your whole finger in there and reach down to find it, then it needs a top up. i had the same issue recently. the seal itself is cheap and easy to replace, but the exhaust and drive shaft need to come out to do it.