SAU Community

Shaving And You.

NYTSKY

• 2 weeks later...

Bought a feather safety with feather DE blades off eBay. Will take some getting used to, coming from a cartridge razor, but not bad so far. Only a few nicks from hair pulls.

Would like to give a shavette a go once I adapt to this.

Bought a feather safety with feather DE blades off eBay. Will take some getting used to, coming from a cartridge razor, but not bad so far. Only a few nicks from hair pulls.

Would like to give a shavette a go once I adapt to this.

Did you buy a brush and shave cream to go with it? If not, then get some asap!

Did you buy a brush and shave cream to go with it? If not, then get some asap!

Nah mate...still face palming it with a gel foam.

But I do have a cheap brush and some of that cheap ass Palmolive shave stick...don't ask, I was curious...

its not the same unless you get a good lather! I guess you can back to back it but half the shave depends on the lather! get a cheap one off ebay and lather directly on your face. easy and quicker than in a bowl

• 1 month later...

Heya guys,

I've been wet shaving with a double edge safety razor for a few weeks now and actually enjoy shaving.

After a bit of research I bought the following kit:

http://www.mensbiz.com.au/mens-biz-standard-wetshaving-kit.html

Not overly cheap, but google tells me they're quality components.

Currently using Proraso shaving cream, Derby blades, Bloc Osma alum block and Geo.F.Trumper Skin Food.

I've always shaved every day. Being Italian I could grow a full beard within 24hrs from the age of 6.

Now, I can stretch out to two days and still have an acceptable appearance. BUT, I shave everyday for the enjoyment. Never thought I'd say that...

Get on DE shaving! Very happy I made the switch and trying to convert my mates.

Can't beat the consumable costs either. $20/100 blades that last me nearly a week each. $15 for shaving cream that will get me past 6 months etc etc

Add to that the environmental and health positives, the only real reason NOT to DE shave is the extra time involved. But hey, you deserve it ;)

Thanks for some of the info in this thread guys, it helped me make the switch.

Mark :)

I enjoy it when I have the time, but confess to going back to my Fusion Pro Glide when I'm in a rush. Just can't best hacking away at your face without consequence. The DE may prevent ingrowns etc. but doesn't get anywhere as smooth as the cartridge without cutting my face to bits lol

Mind you, I used to nick myself with the cartridge, but since I started DE shaving, never see blood with a cartridge now - positive transfer of skill from practicing more careful strokes?

• 1 year later...

Anyone still shaving in an enthusiast way?

Took the plunge on a Dovo shavette today. I've wanted to move onto cut throat for a while now, as I'm enjoying the DE, but it's not enough of a "challenge". See how I go and hopefully no (bad) cuts. Got a decent brush, bowl and soaps/creams to go with.

Maybe once I'm used to the shavette, I'll look at a 5/8" straight. Just don't wanna drop $200 on a razor if cut throat isn't for me!

• Like 1

I love how effortlessly Feather blades shave even the thickest of growth. I've left it 10 days between shaves and in one stroke with the grain, it's gone...almost baby smooth but not quite. It's the against the grain second pass that *sometimes* leaves nicks, though.

Also, stupidly tried to get some nosehairs with the de I a my aggressive setting - just about turned 2 nostrils into 1!

I bought a razor pit from mensbiz for $30 - it apparently extends the life of blades by 4-5 times. Nothing but amazing reviews, so looking forward to it and hoping they aren't sock puppet reviews.

I currently have a few razors.

A simple safety razor has been my go to for the last few years with different blades.

Mum got me a 5/8 straight razor for my birthday, have just started using it. Enjoy using it, but still need more practice to get it right. Am yet to progress to my neck.

For travel I use a Fusion cartridge razor.

Best creams and oils I have used are from The Art of Shaving, unfortunately they dont ship to Australia. As I am running low I'll be looking for some new stuff soon

I dropped almost $200 on my DE kit (with the badger hair brush). I should use it more often, shaving is always painless.

Barely into my first sample pack of blades.

I don't think stepping up to a cut throat is worth it for me. DE shaves very close and is far cheaper after a couple of years compared to disposables (used to shell out for Mach3).

If you're doing a with grain shave only, DE I find to be much faster than cartridge razors. It's just so damn sharp!

Unfortunately I'm OCD so rarely do just that. And OCD doesn't mix well with single blade razors lol