SAU Community

Shaving And You.

NYTSKY

^^^ I was just going to say that!

Birds has the right idea getting gf to buy a shaver.... I bought Tats one too :P I got him a Braun one worth $450 (but I got it for under half price). He has coarse Greek wog hair (ie, probably needs to shave twice a day haha) and he loves it.

I love my gf shaver for the daily grind; I just want a decent safety for special occasions. You want us to be smooth, don't you?

We all know you're smooth Birds :D

One thing I don't envy about being a guy - I'd hate to have to shave every day like you dudes!!

lol

• 6 months later...

During high school when I first shaved, I had some bad acne on one side of the face. My local GP suggested using an electric razor to leave a little stubble and thus eliminate the risk of infection from breaking the pimples. It lasted one year then I let it grow until the end of uni (along with the long hair, I looked like Cat Stevens). After getting through my first interview and starting work I let the beard and hair grow again. Over 15 years later I started shaving again. I used all manner of razors but having travelled extensively in India and having shaves each week, I came to appreciate the straight razor. However, the first time I tried i cut myself near my ear severely so I moved on to a Merkur Heavy Duty Double Razor after using my Dad's one. I've never looked back.

The secret to a good shave is very hot water over the area to really soften the skin, that's why most blokes shave while having a shower. Then a good shaving cream applied with a good badger hair brush or shaving oil (I have used Valetudo) and very hot water for the razor to clean between strokes. Then after a quick pat dry with a towel, I use a himalayan salt block to run over the shaved area, a trick picked up from the Indian/Nepalese barbers, as the salt acts as an antiseptic, then another quick pat with a towel. I apply a herbal after shaving cream my wife prepared (she's studying herbalism) or I use water soluble tea tree oil sparingly.

A good tip from my grandfather was to sharpen the shaving blade by running it around the inside of a glass. Just like the barbers use a leather strop for their cut throats.

The best way to use a straight razor/cut throat is to practice on a balloon. The technique is perfected when you can shave without bursting the balloon. They teach this technique in a hairdressing/barber apprenticeship.

During high school when I first shaved, I had some bad acne on one side of the face. My local GP suggested using an electric razor to leave a little stubble and thus eliminate the risk of infection from breaking the pimples. It lasted one year then I let it grow until the end of uni (along with the long hair, I looked like Cat Stevens). After getting through my first interview and starting work I let the beard and hair grow again. Over 15 years later I started shaving again. I used all manner of razors but having travelled extensively in India and having shaves each week, I came to appreciate the straight razor. However, the first time I tried i cut myself near my ear severely so I moved on to a Merkur Heavy Duty Double Razor after using my Dad's one. I've never looked back.

The secret to a good shave is very hot water over the area to really soften the skin, that's why most blokes shave while having a shower. Then a good shaving cream applied with a good badger hair brush or shaving oil (I have used Valetudo) and very hot water for the razor to clean between strokes. Then after a quick pat dry with a towel, I use a himalayan salt block to run over the shaved area, a trick picked up from the Indian/Nepalese barbers, as the salt acts as an antiseptic, then another quick pat with a towel. I apply a herbal after shaving cream my wife prepared (she's studying herbalism) or I use water soluble tea tree oil sparingly.

A good tip from my grandfather was to sharpen the shaving blade by running it around the inside of a glass. Just like the barbers use a leather strop for their cut throats.

The best way to use a straight razor/cut throat is to practice on a balloon. The technique is perfected when you can shave without bursting the balloon. They teach this technique in a hairdressing/barber apprenticeship.

that is epic mate...

All I do is have a super hot shower, get some Gillette shaving cream and use a mach razor with 5 blades and I'm sweet...

Interesting to note that when I go for a run in the morning and then shave later after a shower I find it a lot smoother to shave than if I don't go for a run... explain?

Pores opening up from sweating / being hot. Same reason the shower / hot water works well: it opens pores and softens hair. Hair and nails are made of the same thing, keratin. It's also easier / smoother to trim your fingernails when they are wet.

Sweat also acts as a natural lubricant for the skin. I recommend king of shaves oil for anyone who wants this effect without the exercise - it's basically sweat in an oil form. Put it on before you apply shaving cream and things go much smoother!

I'm intrigued by the salt block. Does it dry your skin out?

Unfortunately, yes it does.

The benefit though, is to constrict blood vessels and close the pores.

However, if you have dry or sensitive skin then it's not recommended to use salt (alum) blocks as the minerals used are astringent which means that they draw moisture out of the skin.

I apply a herbal cream my wife made or cold pressed organic coconut oil.