SAU Community

Shaving And You.

NYTSKY

So, no love for electrics huh? My beautiful girlfriend bought me this for my birthday...not sure if I should take a hint about my fashionable/lazy stubble or just awesome girlfriend...

It's a bloody (pun) good shave for an electric, though!

philips-rq128517_iph3w15422441.jpg

Have been using this for the last two weeks and I already love it. Took some time to get used to the weird motion required, but now that I have...and I'm wet shaving with it (cream + hot water)...it gives a very close shave that just about rivals that of a disposable razor. The trimmer function is too small, weak and therefore useless...but it's just for tidying up or lifting hairs, as it's got a seperate head for proper trimming...which works superbly as a beard/stubble maintainer. Charges very quickly and has a minutes left display which is handy. Easy to clean. Love it!

Highly recommend this one for the convenience / safety factor!

I use a beard trimmer, VS Sassoon iTrim. I'm on my second one as the first f**ked up, stopped holding charge and would even slow down/stop while shaving with it plugged in. I sent it back and they replaced it with an apology letter and all that, so pretty hassle free, but the replacement one started doing the same thing within a year I'd say. Still got it and it still gets the job done, but doesn't hold charge no matter how long you charge it for, and randomly slows down while shaving even when plugged in and when it's been left charging for an hour or so. I think I'll try a Wahl trimmer next

I do this as well, after your recommendations :)

The Wahl I've had for around 12 months now, it needs a good 15-20mins on the charger before I use now. If I don't it simply runs out of juice after 4-5mins to trim everything and starts to slow down. So usually just plug it in soon as i get up, eat food and it's good to go. It's just how all those small shitty ones are really.

I'm guessing another 3-4 months it'll be totally dead so around 18 months which isn't great but that's how it goes.

I have epic issues with ingrown hairs & rash when using a cartridge shaver (even the most expensive wont work)... So just use a beard trimmer as above and I've not had an ingrown since, just delightful - i do miss that smooth clean shave feel. So this thread is interesting as every 2 days max I need to be shaving and it's farken tedious.

Why don't you use electric, Ash? It's generally not as close as cartridge (well, as above I've managed to get pretty damn close / feels smooth to the touch), but I too have sensitive skin and don't get much in the way of rashes from it. Just have to use hot water first and then shaving cream so the thing glides over the skin.

Good question.

I have used my brothers a few years back to see what it was like... I got a nasty rash from it the day after, much like i do with cartridge shaving. So that was enough for me not to bother with that again, nor spend $150+ on something i know might not work.

The beard trimmer works aite, does the job intended... I'll clean shave for a wedding or someshit but that's about it, although this thread with the other ideas coming out does have me thinking.

Get someone to give you one as a present, that way no money lost :D

But if you do, spend big...you definitely get what you pay for with electric shavers.

Oo shaving thread.

I picked up a 1964 Gillette DE adjustable safety razor last year and bought a massive sample pack of blades to test what works best for my face/skin/growth.

From there I bought a pure badger brush and tried some cheap soap.

When I bought the blades from the US. Figured I'd buy some soap as well, bought some Dr Harris Shaving Soap.

This is the best stuff I've found so far. I don't think I'll bother with anything else, perhaps another fragrance. It foams heaps, thick and real smooth.

^^^

Lol its amazing we get excited over shaving...

Which blades do you like most?

For those interested, this kit is a pretty good kit to get started. Takes all the guess work and all you need thereafter are some razor blades which are very cheap;

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SHAVE-SET-DAILY-Proraso-Balm-Weishi-Razor-Omega-Brush-Soap-Stand-Astra-Blades-/321129052318?pt=AU_HairRemoval&hash=item4ac4c8789e&_uhb=1

Thats a cool kit.

Astra Superior Platinum are the best so far.
The sharks have been the worst, I couldn't shave without getting nicked.

This is where I bought my pack, split it with two other friends:
I got the all blades one.
http://www.westcoastshaving.com/Sample-Packs_c_1.html

Enough blades to last me for a while thats for sure.

Edited by Owgasm

Feather were the sharpest of the 5 I tried to date and i chopped myself! But being a newbie to this it was somewhat expected. I'm going to try them again as I'm more confident now and have worked out how to hold the razor to get all areas.

That's the bad thing about losing weight, your face is less fat and more sharper curves - makes it harder to shave with the safety razors!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I used the Proraso Pre shave creme this morning, by far the smoothest and most even shave I have had.

Not really sure what it did but my guess is soften the stubble and made the skin slippery to glide the blade across. Either way win win :)

Busy - Gillette Fusion (5 Blade Cartridge)

Special Occasion - Straight Razor

I appear to be lazier than you

Busy/unemployed - nothing

Work - electric

Special occasion - Gilette Fusion Pro Glide