SAU Community

Shaving And You.

NYTSKY

Hello Gents,

I thought I would start a discussion on shaving. A subject that is rarely spoken about yet we all do it.

Ever since the first little whisker emerged on my chin I have always shaved with multi blade cartridge shavers. However cartridge shavers seem to pull on my stubble before cutting which was quite irritating and just thought is was part and parcel of shaving.

One day I was trolling YouTube and came across a video which has changed my shaving experience. The video was about the pros and cons of the other forms of shaving:

Cartridge

cartridge.jpg

Safety or DE shaving

safety.jpg

Shavette

shavette.jpg

Straight razor

straight.jpg

I now use a Safety shaver and have not looked back :) Not only is it a nicer shaving experience with less pulling and irritation it also works out cheaper which is a nice bonus.

So Gents what works for you? What products do you use/recommend?

Currently I'm using Proraso (Green) shave soap with a badger hair brush. The Eucalyptus in the soap along with the massaging nature of the brush really sets up the skin/stubble for a nice shave.

I used to be somewhat jealous of the guys who used to have to shave in highschool. Now I'm 30 and i get annoyed that i have to shave and am glad that i can get away with only shaving every 7 to 10 days (start to look a bit rough after 7). I also don't like being freshly shaven. Sweating when freshly shaven annoys me. At least on my face. Freshly shaven legs feel nice....

And i just use a cartridge razor.

Shaving wasn't one of my favourite routines but now I treat it as some kind of "me" time.

Shaving with a Safety razor takes about 2-3 times longer than with a cartridge razor, especially with me using the brush and soap.

Generally I need to go over 3 times to get the desired smoothness.

If anyone wants more info on other types of shaving check out this bloke and his videos:

http://www.youtube.com/user/geofatboy/videos?flow=grid&view=0

I am the same as you Dave. Shaving is annoying as all hell, but it is something that I take my time with and pride.

My routine uses two different razors. Safety razor first to get rid of the majority of the hair and thin it out. Reapply shaving cream with the brush and use a Gillet ProGlide Fusion afterwards to smooth it all out.

Do you use any pre shave oil?

yea i towel up or splash hot water, then go over it with oil. has made a difference, feels like the blade glides over the skin easier.

i found going over the second time with the pro glide i get the smoothest shave for a couple of days.

Best shave I ever had was when I went to a Barber and got done with a Straight Razor !! Whole experience of having someone with a blade on your throat was a little nerving at first but great!

Now i just use a cartridge and foam. Considering getting a new one as my current handle is about 10 yrs old! might give a safety razor a try as people seem pretty happy with it.

Best shave I ever had was when I went to a Barber and got done with a Straight Razor !! Whole experience of having someone with a blade on your throat was a little nerving at first but great!

Now i just use a cartridge and foam. Considering getting a new one as my current handle is about 10 yrs old! might give a safety razor a try as people seem pretty happy with it.

Straight razor shaving is great, I have also had a couple if shaves done by a barber and I could hardly feel the blade shaving along my face. One day I'll step up to a shavette shaver after I get more comfortable with a safety shaver.

I find that I sometimes get neck irritations and sometimes acne on the neck as a result of shaving, I use a multi-blade Gillete cartridge shaver with gel, I use hot water before hand and an after-shave cream.

Any suggestions?