SAU Community

Richos R33 Gtst

ssxRicho

• 4 weeks later...

Finally put some time aside to re-plate the diff.

Looks as though it was setup with one less sprung plate either side and in it's place there was a geared plate.

So we've set it up the same way.

All being well the car will be running at the Family happy laps day at Sandown on the 21st.

post-59171-0-40595800-1386716682_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Haha yeh. It's addictive for sure!

Last event was just before XMAS, we had to change the diff again. On the day this time as the built one failed....

Bleh!

Have a weekends worth of work to get it up to scratch for the Time Attack season soon.

• 3 months later...

Prep for NSW time attack and world time attack later in the year has started.

After chasing boost leak issues over the weekend at world time attack last year i decided to get some of the cooler piping re-done.

So Abe at Havoc fabed up a single peice section from the hot side to the cooler and re-worked the intake pipe.

However on the dyno at Chequered it still wasnt right. Trent and Abe found the inlet manifold gasket (the upper one) was leaking badly.

So changing that was fun...

Anyway, back into the doctors for a checkup with the new gasket.

And something else is a miss now...

The waste gate actuator is too stiff and boost control is non-existant. So that inlet gasket must have been leaking a little bit for over a year. As the the actuator held boost fine prevoisly.

Off with that actuator and on with a softer one.

Car made more power and torque on the same pressure. Awesome.

5F95EDA2-DB9F-4ED3-85D5-F9D250317AC3.jpg

• Like 1

The more I look, it seems very common to have boost leaks that we don't know about. Must be some good merit in pressurising the inlet to check for leaks.

The only way I could see to check for that one on the inlet manifold would be to lift the cams out, and pressurise right up to the inlet valve seats.

What sort of boost are you running to achieve that output? Looks fairly linear and spread over a wide range too.

I had exactly the same gasket fail at the SAU track day at Eastern Creek Southern Circuit last year.

The more people I speak to with modified R33's the more I am finding that this is a very common problem. When you consider that we a running a lot more boost than these gaskets are designed to cope with it should be expected, especially when you take into account the age of our engines. Once the gasket has been replaced and provided that the mating surfaces are flat they can sustain a reasonable amount of boost with a car in my local area running 22 lbs. with no problems.

Good luck with the Time Attack series.

The more I look, it seems very common to have boost leaks that we don't know about. Must be some good merit in pressurising the inlet to check for leaks.

Nowhere near enough people do a proper boost leak test.

I made this, fits onto the turbo intake, so I can connect a leak down tester and pressure the car while it's off and you can listen for leaks.

post-23873-0-23107500-1401662316_thumb.jpg

Edited by ActionDan

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Yep, haven't done anything to the motor.

We've replaced all the ball joints and some various bushes after NSW Time Attack. A bit of last minute stuffing around to get everything to fit and align.

Took the car out to Winton on Saturday. New pads and new brake fluid (the brakes were sh!T at Wakefield as well).

Track was extremely slippy in the morning session, then instantly overheated. Was just starting to some grip coming through in the afternoon session.

Work still to do

- alter the squat angle on the rear

- stiffer spring front and rear

- play more with the rear weight balance

post-59171-0-64092200-1409542415_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Looking forward to seeing the car in action after following it for a while, I'll be sure to come by and try to fan girl on you etc.

Lol, come by for sure.

We fitted BC ER's to the car yesterday. The attkd rotors I bought have 6mm holes, while the ksport hats have 8mm holes. I had thought it was the other way around. So we have a little issue.

I'm hoping my tyres will be here on time...