SAU Community

People Don't Want To Race Our Skylines.......

Just noticing some strange things whilst recently spending a little more time driving around in the GTR.

Remember way back when you'd be hard pressed to get a couple of days when there wasn't a story about street racers, hoons, speeders etc.

I recall personally the number of people who used to want to line me up at a set of lights for a bit of a go..

I even had someone in a WRX want to race me when on my GSXR some years ago... :ermm:

But I've been driving my mildly worked GTR around for a couple of years now, albeit not daily, but have really felt the difference and general increase in driving maturity on the roads lately. Result of increased Police presence possibly.

So is it a sign of the times or are people just choosing their races heh heh..

Do you get people wanting to race you when in your Skyline on the street often or at all ??

Police presence I think, is just part of what you say, which is pretty insightful.

Another part might be that the average Skyline GTR drivers' age is older, and with that, hopefully wiser. That may not necessarily apply to the GT class though I might add.

So is it a true stereotype (or a false one), that many 23 yr olds will more often than not be seen in a hot 4 > 35 yr olds in GTRs > 50 yr olds in muscle V8s? And thus in reflection, car racing for those who are getting older (& perhaps more mature), is now quite passé ?

Stats do say at the moment however that more speeding fines in NSW are attributed to the 30-40 yr old age group - which doesn't translate into racing I know but - perhaps Police are watchful of the high-powered cars they drive?

Thoughts?

I rarely , if ever get anybody wanting a race in my GTR , the majority of road users couldn't care about Nissans GTRs ,

but you guys should try owning a mid 80s 930 Porsche Turbo , everyone wants to have a go

Datsun 120Ys , Sigmas , buses on and on its a whole new level , everyone is doing 90 kph around you in a 60 zone :)

I rarely , if ever get anybody wanting a race in my GTR , the majority of road users couldn't care about Nissans GTRs ,

but you guys should try owning a mid 80s 930 Porsche Turbo , everyone wants to have a go

Datsun 120Ys , Sigmas , buses on and on its a whole new level , everyone is doing 90 kph around you in a 60 zone :)

Really?! That's hilarious!

It just makes you wonder and what they are thinking at the time...

A run of the mill Datsun 120Y / Sigma etc... What chance have they got... Let alone a bus.

Again, run of the mill SUV's alone are bad enough, they think their barge of a car is fast...

Yeah sure, a mid 80's 911 Turbo has been surpassed by newer technology with later 911's and other manufactures...

But the cars you mentioned (Datsun 120Y / Sigma etc...) are not even in the caliber of a mid 80's 911... What are they thinking..?

Is your 930 modded?

Its running around 400Kw at the rears , seriously dangerous to drive its sent me spinning out of control like a spinning top a few times across intersections,

all weight above the rears just hit a wet storm water plate and its over.

I was just using those two pathetic cars as an example - not far from the truth though !

People just want to see you give a bit , blow some flames out the back and see what it can actually do .

Police presence I think, is just part of what you say, which is pretty insightful.

Another part might be that the average Skyline GTR drivers' age is older, and with that, hopefully wiser. That may not necessarily apply to the GT class though I might add.

So is it a true stereotype (or a false one), that many 23 yr olds will more often than not be seen in a hot 4 > 35 yr olds in GTRs > 50 yr olds in muscle V8s? And thus in reflection, car racing for those who are getting older (& perhaps more mature), is now quite passé ?

Stats do say at the moment however that more speeding fines in NSW are attributed to the 30-40 yr old age group - which doesn't translate into racing I know but - perhaps Police are watchful of the high-powered cars they drive?

Thoughts?

Indeed, in fact I would go further to say that, although I don't completely agree with the steps taken to enforce 'hoon laws', more specifically the threat of confiscation, destruction etc. that these possible outcomes are possibly touching the correct nerve with the demographic at which they are targeting.

I'd like to think that generally, enthusiasts purchase these cars. Of course they're enthusiasts, they buy them, they love them, they tune and spend copious amounts of time and money on them. Would a non-enthusiast buy a GTR of any era? It would be rare if they were not, could the same be said for buyers of other high performance vehicles? Maybe not to the same degree, but to a point I think so.

Having to pay a fine, or even losing a license for a period is bearable to a car enthusiast. Losing the car they look at every night for no other reason than to look at it, the car they obtain constant pleasure from each time they change its sound or remove an interior rattle, or make the most minute aesthetic alteration, this would be punishment.

So along with undoubtedly many other things, this may be a considerable contributing factor to the seemingly reduced propensity for people to 'take you on'.

Lovin the mid topic debate of the VE's etc surpassing the GTR.. My old boy has a 6 litre manual VZMaloo while its nice enough to drive even the stock power is useless unless your in 3rd gear in the dry. Its heavy and feels lazy. Gearbox feels like its been rigged up out of a farm tractor.

My old set up in the GTR was only pushing around 330kw but the fact it had a bright green half cage, fixed back seats, a very un muffled exhaust system and a 2 inch screamer pipe got a lot of attention just cruising around from anything ranging from a Mazda 121 all the way to having a a turbo Porsche Cayenne thing trying to g me up. I had learnt a lot of hard lessons with my previous GTST doing dumb shit that repeated once in the GTR and the police didn't like it to much. Having held on to all my infringement notices and fines its a pretty good motivator to not do it as I could have saved myself a lot of money being a bit more decisive about driving spiritedly.

Reverting back to the V8 thing I would never buy a domestic V8 hack because from my experiences driving them they are just that. The GTR has been the best all round car I have owned. Comfortable, agile (enough), sounds tits, is very imposing, great base to get power from and in the end the interior doesn't fall apart like late model Commo's and Falcons. Build quality is a lot better. While mine was definitely not the quickest thing around good god it put a big smile on my face

• Like 1

Been driving my skyline for about 24 hours now (finally on the road) :D

32 gtst.

Constantly driving off boost because I can't stand my t04e..

Already had a couple of holdens & Subaru's have a go..

But 1. I don't want to race lol and 2. They'll probably beat me anyway haha

Its running around 400Kw at the rears , seriously dangerous to drive its sent me spinning out of control like a spinning top a few times across intersections,

all weight above the rears just hit a wet storm water plate and its over.

I was just using those two pathetic cars as an example - not far from the truth though !

People just want to see you give a bit , blow some flames out the back and see what it can actually do .

400 Kw... Oh I see what you did there :laugh:

Others must think it's just a older Porsche, not much of a threat... Until they find out the hard way when you obliterate them!

Been driving my skyline for about 24 hours now (finally on the road) :D

32 gtst.

Constantly driving off boost because I can't stand my t04e..

Already had a couple of holdens & Subaru's have a go..

But 1. I don't want to race lol and 2. They'll probably beat me anyway haha

What's the issue?

What's the issue?

With the T04e? No boost until 4500-4700rpm (which is okay as I am not driving on boost at the moment due to my BOV hose being kinked in 3 places)

It's working fine haha just too big for an rb20 IMO..

But got a new hose today, some industrial hectic sh*t.. Now my clamps are too weak to hold it on.. Grr

With the T04e? No boost until 4500-4700rpm (which is okay as I am not driving on boost at the moment due to my BOV hose being kinked in 3 places)

It's working fine haha just too big for an rb20 IMO..

But got a new hose today, some industrial hectic sh*t.. Now my clamps are too weak to hold it on.. Grr

TO4E lol, laggy on RB20.

LOL!

Should of went with a turbo with more low down / response.

Just out of interest, why did you put the T04E on?

LOL!

Should of went with a turbo with more low down / response.

Just out of interest, why did you put the T04E on?

Well.. When I bought my 32 gtst type M in December 2012.. I had very little knowledge on skylines.. I knew they were turbo and from Japan haha..

Really wish I knew about this forum before purchasing..

T04E was on when I bought the car and I didn't even know was lag was!

First turbo I had ever driven also..

Payed way too much as well hehehe :P

Excellent time to swap someone for their stocker exhaust manifold and turbo ;)

Then swap the turbo with an R34 or similar :)

You mean stock as in low mount manifold? And hi-flowed 34 turbo?

I was actually thinking about the sspu1 or 1.5 from hypergear.

Well.. When I bought my 32 gtst type M in December 2012.. I had very little knowledge on skylines.. I knew they were turbo and from Japan haha..

Really wish I knew about this forum before purchasing..

T04E was on when I bought the car and I didn't even know was lag was!

First turbo I had ever driven also..

Payed way too much as well hehehe :P

Haha! I see!

Yeah change to something with low down response.

Excellent time to swap someone for their stocker exhaust manifold and turbo ;)

Then swap the turbo with an R34 or similar :)

+1

You mean stock as in low mount manifold? And hi-flowed 34 turbo?

I was actually thinking about the sspu1 or 1.5 from hypergear.

Yeah a low mounted turbo, is what he means.

A hi-flowed R34 GTT turbo should be fine.

It's smaller then a T04E hence quicker spool time = more responsive.

• Like 1