SAU Community

Ls2 Coil On Plug Mod

while ive never measured the output of the stock ecu, i for some reason assumed it to be around the 2500 mark as im pretty sure thats near full saturation of the stock coil pack, and most ecus have the rb base map set to that, according to the nistune users guide most stock nissan crap is around the 3ms mark, id need to scope the output to be sure though, so you may very well be right, yet one thing i noticed straight away was leaving the dwell the same and putting in the ls1 coils made a huge difference when running stupidly rich mixtures

XKLABA,

I'm running 2.2 bar boost and not using a relay and like I said pretty rich A/F mixtures at WOT. And these coils work WAY better than my Splitfires using the same power source and dwell.

Although, I did replace my engine harness about 5 years ago so my power/ground wiring might be in better condition than other cars with 20+ year old wiring.

I did a mod to mine with a relay and power sources directly from the alternator, then use the factory line to trigger relay with the relay feeding the positive power supply directly to coils

Made a very little difference to idle and it revs a little more freely

I keep LQ9 coils @ 3ms max @ 14v and 2.8ms @ any higher as they're a relatively fast charge coil (compared to yukon / D585 and LS1).

Any more and a small spike in alternator output voltage can advance timing intermittently.

Before using any GM coil without a 3D lookup table for coil charge time - log alternator output to certify it is operating within OE parameters hot and cold and up to redline - especially if combining with aftermarket alternators (ie. high output units that aren't underdriven).

Installed mine this weekend while on my mini vacation.

20150109_143823_zps4mka39s8.jpg

I used the Mojo harness and plate. My coils/ignitor/harness seems to have been going bad because the car hasn't felt this good since I got it tuned a few years ago. Had to redo the timing after install, when I put the light on it showed 10deg. I was also getting spark blow out @ 18psi and that's all gone now. Happy camper over here.

I used the Mojo harness and plate. My coils/ignitor/harness seems to have been going bad because the car hasn't felt this good since I got it tuned a few years ago. Had to redo the timing after install, when I put the light on it showed 10deg. I was also getting spark blow out @ 18psi and that's all gone now. Happy camper over here.

looks good :)

are these genuine ls2 truck coils or the china spec AC Delco D585 with the BSC1251 part number ?

looks good :)

are these genuine ls2 truck coils or the china spec AC Delco D585 with the BSC1251 part number ?

• 1 month later...

I'm weighing up this mod vs a set of yellow jackets for a sub 15psi setup. So far in terms of cost it would be slightly less but still similar to a set of yellow jackets. Would be nice to run a 1.1 mm plug gap

This is looking at a set of ACDelco D585 coils with the BSC1251 part number, plus a full set of suitable connectors and wire etc.

Are the BSC1251 items to be avoided if you're not chasing high boost, or would it be no better than chucking yellow jackets in and calling it a day?

Lastly, I would want to make a coil on plug setup which still fits in the valley. I notice in this thread that the pictures are of engines with forward facing plenums, therefore they do not have to consider clearance between the coil setup and the crossover pipe. Will the d585 coils still fit?

Lastly, I would want to make a coil on plug setup which still fits in the valley. I notice in this thread that the pictures are of engines with forward facing plenums, therefore they do not have to consider clearance between the coil setup and the crossover pipe. Will the d585 coils still fit?

I use the Mojo plate and can bolt the valley cover down over the coils (rb26) so I'm sure your crossover pipe will still fit.

Cool, that just leaves the question of the BSC1251 AC Delco coils being worth the effort to install over a set of yellow jackets. Even if theyre the chinese version, I believe they are still regarded as an OEM replacement by AC Delco?

they are not set to the same quality control, but they might be designed close to spec.

Cool, that just leaves the question of the BSC1251 AC Delco coils being worth the effort to install over a set of yellow jackets. Even if theyre the chinese version, I believe they are still regarded as an OEM replacement by AC Delco?

• 4 weeks later...

Be very careful with your dwell and the D585 coils, we have been able to replicate in testing the "early" fire conditions many tuners have been experiencing.. with D585.

By "early fire" i mean uncontrolled ignition advance.... which can lead to major engine damage.

Keep your dwell tables safe and if possible use voltage and rpm modifiers.

http://forum.nistune.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2423&sid=c7498fc38b9a5b973935a6a6cadb99b8&start=45#p22083

http://forum.nistune.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2423&start=30#p20865

• 5 weeks later...

Maybe someone on this thread can tell me if my problem is coil related, build only just completed

Goes well to 5000rpm ,slow or hard in any gear

In neutral at a steady 5500rpm it sounds like a quick, blop blop blop sound, you can just hear it

In 2nd go hard and between 6000 to 7000rpm it coughs and splatters , keep pushing it back fires a bit, blows a bit of soot

In 2nd slowly build the revs to 6000 to 7000rpm and it dies, feels like the fuel has been cut off but after that ill will kick on again

The new plugs were changed twice, they looked a little dirty, but ?

Have Splitfire coils, they were put in the car 6 years ago but were not used for the first 5 years, only about 4000klm on them. The Mojo packs sound interesting

Sounds like tune to me, they are renowned for tuning to rich and to rich will drown spark

You need to get it to someone that know what the fark their doing so they can diagnose it properly

Even if they can just run it up and tell you whats going on

But giving a car back like this is massively piss poor

Sounds like tune to me, they are renowned for tuning to rich and to rich will drown spark

You need to get it to someone that know what the fark their doing so they can diagnose it properly

Even if they can just run it up and tell you whats going on

But giving a car back like this is massively piss poor

Every work I have done with them has seemed rich and blows soot all over everything..

After my last work on the old motor, the car was driving very well, could get going at 6000rpm with no lag, after a few weeks it lost this ability and got more sluggish, but would still drive to the limiter @ 9500rpm

This new problem seems a bit worse than the plugs getting dirty, drove the car home 350klm , 2 days later I did a 5k launch and it seemed OK, the next day tried at 6500rpm and the problem surfaced.

They have the ECU locked, there is a mob in Port Macquarie I might try before I make my mind up to take it back.