SAU Community

The Fuel Pump Thread

Do you have problems with fuel surge under 1/4 tank ?

If not you must have a " newer " one, if so you will need to lower it or swap it out

I do have problems with surge currently but I am about to install a surge tank and was going to leave the walbro as a feed. I have the standard sock setup for the pump down the bottom of the tank but from the sounds of it you are saying the pump needs to be right down the bottom to work properly?

One of the surge holes at the bottom of the pump is to big and needs to be blocked off if the fuel level gets lower then the pump :(

I'm going to design a 10ltr surge tank to take twin Walbro E85 pumps to bolt under the boot of the R33/34s, I have a 8ltr one there already feeding the Weldon, just need a few tweaks and the lid arrangement to it

The dam Weldon is louder in the car then out side LOL :(

• 1 month later...

Fuelab pumps adjustable speed.

I have the 1500hp rated one and can hardly hear it at idle and low speeds. And you never notice it at full noise

Uh ha, there's the post I was looking for lol, what Fuelab pump have you got, prodigy 42402 ?

Are you using the PWM speed input ?

How long have you had it running and have you had any issues with it ?

I have a Weldon 2025a and as much as its a great pump the noise for a street car is getting to much for me and want to swap it out for something else and am looking at either the 42401 or 42402 prodigy pumps and would like to hear some reviews from someone that has one :)

• 4 weeks later...

They changed my 044 to a Walbro 460lph with my last mods, but now I am having the 3.2 stroker and flex fuel sensor installed, will the Walbro be enough and able to run E85?

They said that they will wait until the tune to see if the current setup is working well enough and thought as it is a DD the Walbro should handle it OK?

Shit, I do not even know what CC injectors are in the car , I just rely on the way the tune goes and what they say :/

They changed my 044 to a Walbro 460lph with my last mods, but now I am having the 3.2 stroker and flex fuel sensor installed, will the Walbro be enough and able to run E85?

They said that they will wait until the tune to see if the current setup is working well enough and thought as it is a DD the Walbro should handle it OK?

Shit, I do not even know what CC injectors are in the car , I just rely on the way the tune goes and what they say :/

Hey mate

You definitely need to know these details. The Walbro 460LPH pump can do about 400rwkw, but that is just an estimate.

The injectors are definitely going to be a limiting factor if they aren't big enough. I have the new ID1300CC stainless injectors, and they will push 700hp at the flywheel with E85 at 85% duty cycle.

I would consider getting an aftermarket industries surge tank fitted and use the walbro as a lift pump.

Yeh, pretty dumb of me but I have been learning as I go, asking the questions on SAU and doing a bit of homework and making a decision as to what I want to do to get the results I want, some things I need to take my builders advice.

It is blokes like you and others on SAU that helps me make a choice.

Up until now the builder has said that if I ever want to turn the wick up there are many things that can be done. I take that comment to mean, a bigger turbo and cams etc, fuel would also have to be upgraded.I will not be doing the Big turbo or cams as I have gone for response and have used mods to help me get it.

I am not sure about the injectors, maybe the ones I have in the car can handle the build, I feel sure if it is not going as good as he expects, he will advise me on what is needed to make it all work together.

I have had no feedback from the builder for the month it has been in the shop, no pics so I have no idea where they are up to on the build or if the cars just gathering dust:/

Uh ha, there's the post I was looking for lol, what Fuelab pump have you got, prodigy 42402 ?

Are you using the PWM speed input ?

How long have you had it running and have you had any issues with it ?

I have a Weldon 2025a and as much as its a great pump the noise for a street car is getting to much for me and want to swap it out for something else and am looking at either the 42401 or 42402 prodigy pumps and would like to hear some reviews from someone that has one :)

Sorry mate. Only just came across this.

Pretty sure the one I have is the 42401 rate to 1500hp. Yes using the PWM, and it's awesome, hardly any noise at idle and no issues

Sorry mate. Only just came across this.

Pretty sure the one I have is the 42401 rate to 1500hp. Yes using the PWM, and it's awesome, hardly any noise at idle and no issues

Ok cheers for that

I am 99% certain I will be getting the 42401 with the Fuelab 52902 electric FPR which directly controls the pump :)

interesting to read the thread. Good info.

It does seem to me that most people are using pumps that are far over capacity for the injectors. I realise it's easy to just drop a Walbro 460lph pump into the tank and be done with it, but those of us looking for an inline pump.. It would seem that a single 044 could supply a lot of power before needing an upgrade.

In line pumps also seem to be quite expensive in comparison to an intank pump. I am thinking of building a large surge tank capable of taking a Walbro 460 are doing it that way now..

What options do we have for inline pumps that flow similar to the Walbro 460 that is somewhat close to that price? ($185)

I'm leaning toward the Holley 100GPH (370lph) but it seems a lot less flow than a Walbro and double the price for a target of 500 rwhp on E85..

I have all but finished designing a 10ltr surge tank to go under the back of a R34 GTR using twin walbro intank, but I'm not a fan of using twin pumps so have shelved the idea infavour of the Fuelab setup

The main issue I had was a sealable access lid to get to the walbro, that might be different for me then you cause my design meant the surge tank will under pressure being under the car and having the return line going back up to the top of the main tank

To hold the walbros I was simply looking at CNC fuel pump bracket welded inside the surge tank and then having Speedflow fitting running through the CNC lid

Something simple for you if you plan on putting it in the boot would be the Alpha Omaga Walbro surge tank that can hold upto 4 Walbro E85 pumps

Ok, ill check out that surge tank you mentioned.

As for the fuel lab setup, I have done some reading on that now and it certainly seems to be a very capable pump for a reasonable price. Especially as I can just fit that in place of my 044 and it would increase flow substantially.

Do you know how the electronic pump speed is controlled? Anything else worth noting about that fuel lab setup? or is it more or less a bolt in pump..