SAU Community

The Fuel Pump Thread

Mines been making 450kw e85 for over a year now

14v stock base pressure at 25psi boost

No signs of it running out yet we decided to stop there, could make 460-470 who knows

Walbro 400lph E85 Pump good enuff for 450kw on corn?

or this pump still having issues?

What issues do you mean? The early 416L weren't e85 compatible and used to fail quickly, which is why they released the 460L.

I have seen the 460L max out at 430wkw, and 450wkw. (as in afr's started to rise.) But that would be pressure and dyno dependent.

• Like 1

Currently running 400kwatw on E 85 with a Bosch 044, looking for another 50kw atw but know the 044 must be close to maxed out. Will a walbro 450 in tank handle that ok, or are there better options, don't really want to lose more boot space to a surge tank as the car is my weekender. Running ID 1300's if that is any help. Any advice will be appreciated

I recently did 460rwkw on 98 with an 044 as my surge tank pump. It was maxed out. (24psi).

Jecs 1000cc's x 6

easiest solution without upgrading to a surge tank is to have an auto electrician install a step up transformer and run the pump at 16-20 volts. Bosch support 20 volts.

Running at that kind of voltage and you are going to increase the pumps output quite a bit without too much worry. I just wouldn't run under 1/4 if you're racing or getting up it heaps around corners etc.

Edited by The Mafia

• 2 weeks later...

Got the car back from the build and had a look at the injectors , Paul suggested they could be the Sard 700cc, had a good look this morning and they look like the Sard 700CC , light blue top with a black body.

Decided to have the ID 1300CC installed before the final tune.

Using the Walbro 460Lt , it should be interesting to see how it tunes , if I ever need more just add another one.

I will ask the builder what Voltage is running the pump at the moment, this seems to be a problem if the set up is not good enough.

Have the Haltech R34GTR Pro , should help with the Haltech Flex fuel sensor should we ever get E85 here, But I can get it in a few places close ish (180Klms) or if I go to Sydney and should not have to worry about the mix.

Never stop learning doing this type of thing, guess there are plenty of mistakes to be made , but reading and listening to you blokes really helps, thanks :)

It really doesn't need to be 45 degree, if the end of the sock sticks out of the fuel it doesn't suck air, not until the inlet hole on the pump is uncovered anyway.

What pump are you running Peter? I have heaps of different socks here.

• 3 months later...

My setup makes 435kw (I think) on e55 with the oem lift pump which feeds an undercar surge tank with 044...the 044 has become very noisy when it gets warm to the point where I'm not going to drive the car until I change it. Sounds like the ethanol has screwed it.

Now I'm either going to replace the 044 and add a 2nd 044 OR will look at an ethanol compatible pump as I want to run e85 for a final tune.

What are ppls thoughts? I'm tempted to run 2x044s under the car but the lifespan will be short once again I'd say. Maybe I can buy a second walbro 460ltr and run 2 of these under the car?

I was originally going to take out the surge tank and just run the walbro 460ltr in tank but I've been advised that might be risky with surge and also depending on 1 pump is not ideal.

Definitely don't get another 044 - mine has always been really noisy and I wouldn't get another. I can't tell you if an intank Walbro 460 would be enough on E55 but I suspect not. Since you already have the undercar surge tank I would plan on getting a more modern in-line pump (or two).

Definitely don't get another 044 - mine has always been really noisy and I wouldn't get another. I can't tell you if an intank Walbro 460 would be enough on E55 but I suspect not. Since you already have the undercar surge tank I would plan on getting a more modern in-line pump (or two).

You will find that the Bosch pumps are only noisy if they are restricted on the inlet. They have a large inlet hole for a reason and you shouldn't reduce that.

I've been told that feeding them properly makes them as quiet as a mouse.

You will find that the Bosch pumps are only noisy if they are restricted on the inlet. They have a large inlet hole for a reason and you shouldn't reduce that.

I've been told that feeding them properly makes them as quiet as a mouse.

Not really sure about being quiet as a mouse. I suppose everyone's idea of "quiet" may differ.

A single 460L Walbro in a surge tank will do 460wkw at least, as long as the pressure isn't too high. Try a 35psi base pressure before buying 2 pumps is my suggestion, or get a fuelab or similar turbine PWM pump.

It really doesn't need to be 45 degree, if the end of the sock sticks out of the fuel it doesn't suck air, not until the inlet hole on the pump is uncovered anyway.

What pump are you running Peter? I have heaps of different socks here.

My issue was that the old strainer (45 degree too) was so blocked up it physically couldn't pull fuel through (think 20+ seconds for the strainer full of fuel to empty out from gravity), so I think with a 90 degree sock it would still have the throughput issues. not to mention the actual elbow itself would raise the intake up by 40mm compared to the 45 degree sock.

Luckily, I found a 45 degree sock. 8 bucks from Global EFI, part number GS-046 (can probably get it form other pump shops also), hopefully that helps out someone in the future and avoids the fun I had tracking one down.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...