SAU Community

Rb25Det E85 Ecu Choice. Professional Opinions Please

jdm32r

Hey guys I'm currently looking for a ecu to suit my rb25det set up.

My 3 main choices are:

-haltech ps2000

-link g4

-vipec

Any advice would be great. Pros/cons

Pricing comparison etc.

The car is to be used mostly for track/drift but it is also a regoed vehicle so occasional weekend drives.

Mods are:

High mounted Td06 25g

Top feed Id1000cc

460lph walbro

E85 fuel

264 cams

Ffp

Etc.

Cheers.

There are so many capable ECUs these days most are much a much, best bet go talk to you chosen tuner what he prefers as any ECU you get is only as good as the dude pushing the buttons

I have a Syvecs S8 in my 34 and it is about as good as an ECU gets and has built in E85 strategies for flex fuel setups, but very few people know enough about them to tune then properly, luckily for me my tuner has had experience with Pectal ECUs and said if I got it he will be able to tune :)

My tuner builds his own ECU called a EmTron which is a really good bit of gear but ATM pretty much only he knows enough about it to get the best from it

A budget will also help get ideas for the level of ECU your after

most new age ecu's are more than capable. most of them have the same or similar features and tunability. like XKLABA said it comes down to the dude writing your maps on the ecu. it comes down to your budget.

E85 is just a fuel you can tune most ecu's to, so a not so modern ecu (like power fc) is capable of being tuned on E85 without any problems.

but it all comes down to who is tuning it and what he/she prefers to use (any good tuner can tune just about anything and not be umming and ahhhing over a different ecu)

and what your budget is.

Find a good tuner. Ask them for a recommendation and buy that (unless its to buy a Motec or something ridiculously expensive). A good tuner with the necessary software can probably tune anything but if they are familiar with the ecu it will be quicker (and cheaper for you).

• Like 2

Ok. Here's a con for all the ecu's op suggested.

Not road legal, and in an obvious way (no maf)

leave maf in engine bay wired up but not connected... the less knowledgeable would be none the wiser

iv come across police/tmu that have picked out a z32 afm and apexi power fc. so pretty much you cant get away with it.

out of the 3, the Link is the best, i have gone from a Haltech to a link and the difference is night and day, the amount of features and ability to create 3d tables for just about anything you can think of makes the haltech look like a microtech.

Nistune is great, but still limited, you can do so much in the way of engine protection etc with a Link. for example i have fuel pressure, Oil pressure and overboost engine protection features enabled, not to mention RPM limits vrs coolant temps so you cant thrash it hard until its reached a certain temp.

you can do so much in the way of engine protection etc with a Link. for example i have fuel pressure, Oil pressure and overboost engine protection features enabled, not to mention RPM limits vrs coolant temps so you cant thrash it hard until its reached a certain temp.

You can also do that on most aftermarket ECUs, even a pov spec Adaptronic does that :)

true you can, but on a haltech it wont let you create many 3d tables that you want to do. only ones it has selected for you

Correct would only be a 2D table in most cases and one of the dimensions are static.

But more than enough for your average track slart/street sweeper

Just to clear up some misinformation.... Whilst some of what has been said about the Haltech's is true for the Universal Sport range, you would use a Pro Plugin ECU for any Skyline or RB application..

The Haltech Pro Plugin ECU supports MAF tuning if you want to keep it down that path. It also supports multiple user-configurable 3D table corrections against ignition, boost and fuel in addition to all the already built-in corrections. The Haltech Engine Protection strategy in the Sport and Pro ECU's can be triggered against 11 individual parameters in the ECU, with a user-configurable protection effect so you can set up anything from a soft 2500rpm fuel cut to a hard ignition cut to 0 rpm or however you see fit.

• Like 1