SAU Community

Living With An R33 Gtst

Going through Supercheap's website and noticed they can supply KYB shocks and King springs. All up, a full set of new springs and shocks come to $1114 from them. Would love to hear peoples opinions on this combo especially if theyve actually used them before.

Safety first eh... haha.

I'm using KYB shocks now and happy with them.

Have thought about getting some lowered Kings but never really got around to it. Would not have a second thought about using them, good rep from everything I have read.

I had Pedders springs on my old 33 and they were good too.

My opinion is this combo would be better than adjustables because still legal, cheaper, more comfortable ride for a daily.

I put kyb shocks with ssl king springs all round on my vx commodore and it made a big difference over stock.

For my r33 gtst i got hsd monopro coilovers for $1300 off ebay along with whiteline adjustable swaybars for $450. I have bridgestone re003s all round as well and the car handles like its on rails and sits flat through corners. The hsds are fairly comfortable as well, stiff, but not overly. I think the spring rates are 6kg front 5kg rear which is more street friendly.

then again skylines are great handling cars anyways and i havent driven any others with different coilovers so i have nothing to compare it to.

Lovely car by the way, especially that exhaust, looks 10x better than my chode of a cannon lol (hopefully getting twin tips soon)

Safety first eh... haha.

I'm using KYB shocks now and happy with them.

Have thought about getting some lowered Kings but never really got around to it. Would not have a second thought about using them, good rep from everything I have read.

I had Pedders springs on my old 33 and they were good too.

My opinion is this combo would be better than adjustables because still legal, cheaper, more comfortable ride for a daily.

Well...in the interest of complete disclosure...its mainly in there cuz it looks cool as ahaha..but you know..safety is a bonus.

Yeah I have heard the King Springs are not too bad but not great. Might have to look into the cost and availability of pedders springs.

I put kyb shocks with ssl king springs all round on my vx commodore and it made a big difference over stock.

For my r33 gtst i got hsd monopro coilovers for $1300 off ebay along with whiteline adjustable swaybars for $450. I have bridgestone re003s all round as well and the car handles like its on rails and sits flat through corners. The hsds are fairly comfortable as well, stiff, but not overly. I think the spring rates are 6kg front 5kg rear which is more street friendly.

then again skylines are great handling cars anyways and i havent driven any others with different coilovers so i have nothing to compare it to.

Lovely car by the way, especially that exhaust, looks 10x better than my chode of a cannon lol (hopefully getting twin tips soon)

Cheers man, yeah not a fan of canon's myself.

I dont really want to go coilovers because dont need another reason for popo to have a cry...also I dont think ill ever use the adjustabilty. Also shocks and springs allows me to play with various springs without spending thousands.

Yeah thats fair enough man, do you get a lot of police attention for your car in s.a?

im in melbourne and it seems like the cops here are alright, ive never been stopped even though my cars have been too low. I have always kept my cars clean and dont drive recklessly though.

Ive heard that a good shock and spring combo is better than a cheaper coilover such as the hsd monopros i have, but i also wanted height adjustability.

Nah my car is not that bad so its not too bad. Ive been pulled over before and they just check licence details and then breath test and are on their way. Every RBT though, you gonna get tested no matter what.

• 2 months later...

Been no work on car. I am currently in a situation where I am not sure whether I am going to keep the car for much longer so I have not done any work. Once I know, I will start to work on it again. As of now, just driving it everyday trying to figure out the next steps and hopefully I can continue to update this thread in the near future.

yeah i know that feeling. spent a long time not knowing how long i would have it and trying not to spend too much getting carried away. haha..

As it turns out I just sold mine a couple weeks ago =( Sad times..

• 3 weeks later...

Went on a long highway drive and discovered a pretty bad steering wobble issue. So I went to get the wheels checked for balancing, discovered rear tyres were completely worn on the inside edge, like camber wear but I don't have camber on my car other than whatever is present as stock. Ended up shelling out for two new tyres and balancing to find the wobble still isnt gone....yay....:ermm:

11 minutes ago, Trex said:

Did you get a wheel alignment at the same time? Could be toe related.

Did not get an alignment as I didnt have time before work, but I did work oout on the way that its the left hand front wheel which is causing the wobbling through a scientific experiment of driving over bumps and potholes to see how the car reacted. Might take the wheel off and have a look to see if I can see anything once I get home.

Great job on the review mate!!

Only thing is near the start you say it has a 6 speed box..

I'd be interested to see you do a comparision/review to a 1996 V8 Commy or something. I know what will win =P

5 hours ago, Sklyn said:

Great job on the review mate!!

Only thing is near the start you say it has a 6 speed box..

I'd be interested to see you do a comparision/review to a 1996 V8 Commy or something. I know what will win =P

Cheers!

Oh shit..cheers I didn't realise the mistake, ive put a note on.

Yeah for sure, it would be really cool. Just a matter of arranging a car to use but thats a good idea, we will look into it.

On 9/11/2016 at 4:18 PM, AngryRB said:

Nice video mate , perfect place for a video where ever it is.  Car looks mint, the side was like a mirror :cool:

Thanks for that. It was our first so a few hiccups, hopefully our next will be even better! Place is in South Australia, Fleurieu Peninsula.

Car has developed a bad steering wobble when going over bumps, one shock has a decent amount of oil that is leaking so may be dead. Time to look for new suspension....

Got a full suspension/steering/braking test done today from Pedders Suspension.

-Front left shock is completely dead
-Front bump stops are badly worn
-Upper control arm bushes are split and worn
-Front sway bar links are knocking
-Left hand rack has tie rod end play
-Rear HICAS is very loose and has lots of play

Cool...just what I needed. Time to start looking for parts. Might get a full set of shocks and springs for the car now, get it a tiny bit lower. Anyone have any experience with Pedders shocks and springs?