SAU Community

Daily Driver For Track Thrashing

I currently drive an FPV F6 ute as my daily and have 32 GTR track car, and have been thinking about consolidating them into one car. The pros for the F6 is that it is an absolute ball-tearer in a straight line, is extremely comfortable for long trips, has all the mod cons and has a massive tray so I can lug around virtually anything. Cons, it's missing a back seat, the tray is a magnet for long lost family members who need to move house, and it really doesn't like cornering.

As for the GTR, it's an icon, it's a f**king weapon and I love it, however it is a huge pain in the ass to get it out to the track and every time I take it out there's some new issue or something breaks. It's never-ending with that car I swear to god.

So, the conundrum. Do I sell both cars, and combine them into one car that can do both? Does that even exist? I almost feel like whatever I go with would be a compromise of comfort and performance. For example, I could get an Evo which would run for days at the track and do decent times but would be not very comfortable for a daily and I would look like an asshole with it's stupid wing and loud exhaust, and then it wouldn't be as much fun to drive as the GTR. But I know if I break anything it will be easy (and cheap) to fix and I could put a baby seat in the back and groceries in the boot.

Something like the Focus RS sounds interesting, but I wonder if Ford's warranty will cover the repeated abuse at the track. I'd be wanting to do at least 6 track days a year (which is 6 more than I did last year). It's also a bit out of my price range, and beating the shit out of a brand new expensive car at the track seems like a bad idea.

A second-hand STi seems to strike a decent balance between performance and comfort, but I'm concerned about reliability since it would be out of warranty.

I really want a car that I can just say 'f**k it' and go for a thrash at the track, and then comfortably drive around Sydney in traffic, without it blowing up or falling to pieces, or slipping a disc in my back.

Keen to hear your opinions. Cheers

Had an emo x mr.

Done quite well on the track, not the best fuel economy, but not terrible.

Plenty of parts to mod if you want to go that way.

Very comfortable day to day.

Heated seats, auto lights and wipers, sat nav, cruise control, proximity entry and start.

Would definitely recommend.

But....

Maybe go for the lower spec to obtain the manual box.

Get an aftermarket sat nav.

All up to you.

Or, if any are for sale already, the final edition, which is pretty much an mr with a manual box.

Yeah I guess I was thinking of an Evo 9 or below. I test drove an Evo X DSG which was pretty nice but thought it was way too expensive and styled a little too closely to a regular Lancer, plus it definitely needed a manual box.

Also really like the Megane Rs 265, only issue was the clutch's friction point was basically on the floor which would be irritating for a daily

Go the sti/wrx, cheap on parts and easy to work on, the sti six speed won't break with anything under 400kw and the wrx 5spd is fine under 250kw provided it's shown some mechanical sympathy

The other advantage is pretty much every Subaru model has interchangeable parts, so any good part another model has that yours doesn't, can easily be bolted into your car

Two very important questions...

- Do you want to tow with it too? Losing a ute tray could be a bigger issue than you realise if you're a DIYer. Budget for a 6x4 trailer if so, not a massive outlay but you'd also need the car to handle towing like a champ.

- What's your max budget?

Go the sti/wrx, cheap on parts and easy to work on, the sti six speed won't break with anything under 400kw and the wrx 5spd is fine under 250kw provided it's shown some mechanical sympathy

The other advantage is pretty much every Subaru model has interchangeable parts, so any good part another model has that yours doesn't, can easily be bolted into your car

Considering I'd probably spend around $35-40k, which model WRX/STi would you recommend?

Two very important questions...

- Do you want to tow with it too? Losing a ute tray could be a bigger issue than you realise if you're a DIYer. Budget for a 6x4 trailer if so, not a massive outlay but you'd also need the car to handle towing like a champ.

- What's your max budget?

- Don't need to tow so not an issue, but would like to bring a set of semi's to swap at the track and jerries and tools too

- See above

Under $20K the 'blob eye' STIs are believed to be the strongest as they have the last 2.0L motors (which have a forged bottom? can any one confirm?)

Another great option is the Aus delivered Evo 8s which have the stronger 5sp box

I find the STIs to be better kept condition-wise on an average, however you may get more bang for your buck bolt-on/E85 mod-wise

The 05 is considered the holy grail of the sti (apart from the 22b) it has the closed deck 2L, the 6spd, adjustable center diff and the bigger wheel bearings

If spending 35-40 I'd either grab a 2012/2013 spec r or if you shop well a 2015 sti (current shape)

05 Sti sounds like a go-er, could buy plenty of spares along with it.

How do they handle on the track? I've always heard they're a bit heavier and have a bit more under steer than an evo, can that be tuned out?

Anything can be tuned out with the right parts.

Also, evo x > evo 7-9 for daily duties.

A lot more mod cons (see my previous list) and softer on the street.

Also, 2nd hand can be picked up for a decent price now, just sold mine for 26500.

An interesting dilemma. It can be done but you'll have to compromise somewhere.

On the plus side you'll be saving money not having the outgoings for two cars, especially if you're into modding both as that's double the expense...

I've had the 34 sedan for five years, it's the daily (well, weekly) and saw track twice last year and once this year so far. Yes there's something to fix every time afterwards (latest score: http://www.sau.com.au/forums/topic/463353-post-track-day-qs-rotor-wear-gearbox-oil-ps-pump-manifold-nuts/ ) but I think that's with anything that sees the track, it's mechanically tough on the car. I'd hesitate to track the car on the weekend if I had to drive to work on the Monday though...

If I had my time again I'd probably go an Evo, they're regularly the quickest around the track and have the four door usability plus great aftermarket support.

Whatever you do buy someone else's (well built) project, you'll save 10's of thousands on the mods easy. Yes it'll be 'bought not built' but so what, and you can blow the savings on track days :)

Let us know how you go

If you're considering Megane 265, then also look at the focus ST which has 4 doors. The torque steer is annoying in the ST & a tad more space would be desirable. Can be purchased for low $20's.

I also have an mx5 and r33 GTST. There's a simple pleasure in thrashing the crap out of the mx5 and not having anything to fix after a day out, as opposed to the GTST which always needs maintenance. It's not as quick, but it is fun.

I regret selling my previous r32 GTR. it has a nostalgic value that I really miss & they are appreciating in value.

Here's another thought... What about a turbo ford sedan, do some cheap mods and daily/track it? Not as cool as an EVO or STI, but Parts are cheap and a good suspension setup with tyres will go a long way. Use the GTR as a backup if the daily is laid up.

05 Sti sounds like a go-er, could buy plenty of spares along with it.

How do they handle on the track? I've always heard they're a bit heavier and have a bit more under steer than an evo, can that be tuned out?

theyre fine on the track, no where near the oil control problems of the rb26, but like any car fit a bigger sump and baffle for the extra piece of mind.

The under steer issue can be fixed one of 2 ways, either upgrade the rear sway bar and leave the front one but to me that a compromise as you are taking away rear grip to compensate for the front not having enough.

I believe the better way to do it is to fit a front lsd, which gives the front more grip and doesn't take any away from the rear

Evo 9, get some flex happening so you can have commuter fuel as Paul calls it for daily use and E85 for time away from the wife LOL

Also being the Evo 9 it has a larger tank than the previous models not to mention has MIVEC which will spool much larger turbos with ease if you ever decide to get more boogey

Buy my R34 sedan ;)

Real world though, there isn't anything that comes to whats been mentioned, i.e Evo X or I guess Subaru if for some reason you want an evo which is uglier and worse.

Or you could buck the trend and do something like a sedan XR6T/Typhoon/Holden equivalent.

Have seen some go the 335i/135i route too.

Truthfully you can see for track smashing simpler is often better, so it may be smarter to keep a daily and make your track hack something less prone to breaking than a super boosted Nissan of any kind, i.e get something like a S2000 or MX5 or light RWD old 325/328i BMW to give the heavy foot to.

Only downside to the RS (had a discussion recently re: Mustang v Focus RS, really want to see a back to back anywhere) is that its new.

Everything else here isn't. No doubt a Mustang or Focus RS with a couple of years depreciation on them will be very, very, very attractive. But right now the OP is really going to just eat the depreciation in the face.

I really think I need to drive an Evo and an Sti back to back. I've driven an Evo 3, 6.5, 8 and X, but never driven a rex.

At the moment, an 05 Sti and a spare engine and gearbox ready to go seems like a good idea.

This is the last one with the 2L right?

04-05_Subaru_WRX_STi_2.jpg