SAU Community

Braking upgrade

Braking upgrade

hey all

did my first track day in my car ive just finished spraying. went really well and ran well all day with the exception of the braking.

First off they boiled there guts out by the end of each session. and the standard GTST stuff isnt up to scratch.

Obviously the easy way would be fit the GTR brembos. but they are pricey for what they are.

What are my other options? and what can i do to stop the boiling also?

Looking for all 4 corners 

thanks

19399721_10158955302765215_7190593453162086498_n.jpg

19400561_10155157369429550_3670939122459634837_o.jpg

1 minute ago, niZmO_Man said:

What pads, brake fluid in the car?

Look at ATTKD/D2/K-Sport/whatever kits.

That's what I'd use. Cheap, proven, good pad options.

In the meantime the GTST brakes aren't terrible so you might want to bleed it through with motul RBF600

6 minutes ago, Adz2332 said:

ok sweet thanks guys ill look them up.

K-sport, i havent heard anything good about them, all be it in coilovers. are they decent with brakes?

Would rather go with the attkd version from just jap. That way you get a proper warranty if something isn't right with the kit. I dont think i've read anything negative about these. Some guys had issues with the ksport with rotors having too much run out from new.

• Like 1

Actually I think they are smaller, certainly they allow a lower offset wheel to fit by a few mm. Caliper size itself is not an issue, its about pad size, where the pad is on the disc, piston size, caliper stiffness. Ksport and all the other brands seem to use the same design/tooling and probably the same factory. I've used multiple sets over the years and the only real difference I've seen are the size, PCD and number of disc to hat bolts which mean the rotors are not all interchangeable.

WIth that AP set, they look like a good option, just make sure you can get replacement discs before you buy. They will use the same pads as the ATTKD/Ksport/D2 etc

38 minutes ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

You need adaptors, if you're after some decent braking power - go the Alpha Omega kit which uses the older Brembo from Evo 5-9 but uses the 350mm EvoX rotors.

its interesting that evo 7 8 9 all have the identical brembos. and can be had for a lot cheaper than gtr items

careful with brake sets that look cheap; make sure it includes bolt on adaptors for your hub and chosen disc, brake lines, discs/rings (+ hats if 2 piece) and usable pads.

the only experience I've had personally with willwoods was really disappointing; Neil has a set of 4 spot ones on the radical and you should see the caliper flex when you put your foot on the pedal. Also poor pad availability for that caliper. But I guess that can't be representative of every caliper they make or they wouldn't be in business.

the alpha omega seem like a worthwhile approach too, but again include the cost of calipers, lines, decent pads etc when comparing.

finally, keep in mind brake size vs wheels you have or intend to buy. wheels bigger than 18 get expensive for semi slick tyres.

You haven't said what fluid you are using, or how old it is. It's probably worth starting with a fluid flush, using a decent high-temp fluid (RBF600 as per Duncan's suggestion, or even better RBF660). The other worthwhile upgrade is ventilation - get as much air flowing through the brakes as you can.

The ATTKD brakes are good - we run the 8 pot / 355mm kit on a similar car & are very happy with it. We've got the stock rear brakes, and have no plans to change them - they are working fine with the 8 pot fronts. I wouldn't bother stuffing around with used Brembos. The airflow & fluid suggestions will still apply with a BBK.

How many laps are the sessions you're doing? 

Have you considered entering a Supersprint at Mallala - the next one is on July 16th. Supp Regs are at Supp Regs - there should be at least 2 R33s running.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, GeeDog said:

You haven't said what fluid you are using, or how old it is. It's probably worth starting with a fluid flush, using a decent high-temp fluid (RBF600 as per Duncan's suggestion, or even better RBF660). The other worthwhile upgrade is ventilation - get as much air flowing through the brakes as you can.

The ATTKD brakes are good - we run the 8 pot / 355mm kit on a similar car & are very happy with it. We've got the stock rear brakes, and have no plans to change them - they are working fine with the 8 pot fronts. I wouldn't bother stuffing around with used Brembos. The airflow & fluid suggestions will still apply with a BBK.

How many laps are the sessions you're doing? 

Have you considered entering a Supersprint at Mallala - the next one is on July 16th. Supp Regs are at Supp Regs - there should be at least 2 R33s running.

what class do you run?

and also at the end of the day, its for fun and not for a comp or anything. budget is certainly on the lower end. but id like to upgrade it once and not have to worry again