SAU Community

Running oil temperature in turbo Skylines/Stageas?

Running oil temperature in turbo Skylines/Stageas?

Hi,

Has anyone got an oil temperature gauge in their Skyline/Stagea, eg GTT. GTR etc?

Whats your normal running temperature?

I just installed an R32 GTR triple gauge cluster in my RB25DET NEO Stagea. The oil temp gauge goes from 70-150 deg C.

My engine already had an oil temp sender.

Cheers,

Brendan

8 hours ago, QLDR31 said:

The oil temp gauge goes from 70-150 deg C

Do you mean that the reading actually goes from 70 to 150 deg, or that the gauge is capable of reading from 70 to 150 deg?

Same as above, 85' C.  But on a stinking hot day +45'C you can see 100-120'C and then its time to slow down or stop.  But it has to be hot, bushfire weather tar melting hot.

I went to Albury on the Hume Highway when the big bushfires were in Vic, it was 48'C and the car was way too hot so I was sitting on like 90km/h in a 110 zone.  I had a HP come up and tailgate me for 20km or more.  But coming into Holbrook a car coming the other way caught his attention, he did a U turn and was gone....only time I was glad it was so hot that I had slowed down :).

2 minutes ago, tridentt150v said:

Same as above, 85' C.  But on a stinking hot day +45'C you can see 100-120'C and then its time to slow down or stop.  But it has to be hot, bushfire weather tar melting hot.

I went to Albury on the Hume Highway when the big bushfires were in Vic, it was 48'C and the car was way too hot so I was sitting on like 90km/h in a 110 zone.  I had a HP come up and tailgate me for 20km or more.  But coming into Holbrook a car coming the other way caught his attention, he did a U turn and was gone....only time I was glad it was so hot that I had slowed down :).

Sorry to go off topic but we never see those kinds of temps here. Does the aircond cope to make the car bearable inside?

It nearly did....I had it going [to survive], but it cut out twice once near Holbrook and as we came into Albury,  Then is was down windows, grin and bear it - any breeze was better than none.  I had it on full blast and it only just cooled the cabin so was expecting it to cut out at some stage.  It is the only time it has done it though.

I was glad I was only travelling 200km that day...going to a 21st.

And long story short but worked fine going home that night until I pulled up for fuel at Tarcutta, then the car battery decided to die [age and heat related].  2am and the servo had no jumper leads.  The guy behind the counter was good though, came out and we push started it with the missus in the drivers seat.  Thankfully only really needed a bump and it caught.  Made sure I didn't stall it and got home by 3am.

I always wondered if the aircon would have been OK if the car was standard.  Bigger turbo and FMIC etc creates heat that affects the aircon system???

Thanks guys, Yeah I was just checking my gauge was working right. It seems about right. Takes a while to start moving eg less then 70deg.

On 8/20/2017 at 6:19 PM, KiwiRS4T said:

Synthetic oil will withstand higher temps but anything over 120 deg C is getting a bit hot. If its on the street you have a big problem. What is your water temp?

Not sure on water temp degrees, goes about halfway on the water temp gauge when once warmed up and running. It is overdue for a radiator flush.

23 hours ago, GeeDog said:

Do you mean that the reading actually goes from 70 to 150 deg, or that the gauge is capable of reading from 70 to 150 deg?

The gauge is capable of displaying 70-150 deg. The car seems to run between 85-90 once warmed up and running.

Ive been trying not to give it too much gas atm because its been doing weird turbo noises when fanging it (I'll have to look into this issue). So I haven't seen the max oil temp reading.

31 minutes ago, QLDR31 said:

The gauge is capable of displaying 70-150 deg. The car seems to run between 85-90 once warmed up and running.

Your original post sort of indicated that your oil temp was fluctuating between 70 & 150

My R34GTt auto is completely standard and has approximately 100,000 klms on it. The oil temperature generally ran about 90°C. or a little higher, when driving under light load when the ambient temperature was mild. As it has an oil cooler which uses the engine coolant to cool the oil, the oil temperature will always be above the coolant temperature. Generally this means the oil temperature will be at least 10°C. hotter than the coolant temperature. From my experience, driving through hilly terrain will send the oil temperature to around 100°C. or more. My air-conditioning has also cut out in stop start traffic with temperatures in the high 30s. Cruising at 110klm/hr. with air-conditioning on, in the high 30s, coolant temperature was noticeably higher than normal. I believe the air flow through the radiator is restricted due to the small aperture in the grill. What I did to correct the high running temperatures, was to fit a new viscous fan hub. So far, this has improved the temperature situation noticeably. The only disadvantage, is significantly more fan noise.

• 3 years later...