SAU Community

Is This Too Much Vapour / Smoke / Steam from Catch Can Filters?

Jazzadub

OK, bad news.

Cylinders 1 & 5 compression tested at 60psi...

They are going to be bore scoped today, but it's probably cracked ringlands - the pistons are stock RB26.

Why oh why didn't I forge the damn thing from the beginning!

Anyway, this is happening sooner than I would have liked, but as the engine needs to come out, I might as well go RB30 with a single. :8_laughing:

EFR8374 A/R 1.05 still a good choice? Twin 38mm, or 44mm gates?

2 hours ago, Jazzadub said:

OK, bad news.

Cylinders 1 & 5 compression tested at 60psi...

They are going to be bore scoped today, but it's probably cracked ringlands - the pistons are stock RB26.

Why oh why didn't I forge the damn thing from the beginning!

Anyway, this is happening sooner than I would have liked, but as the engine needs to come out, I might as well go RB30 with a single. :8_laughing:

EFR8374 A/R 1.05 still a good choice? Twin 38mm, or 44mm gates?

I ran the same turbo on my stock NEO and it was a good choice! The extra capacity will be killer!

If you are going 3L i would nearly go a size up for shits and giggles :laugh:

I run twin 40mm turbosmart gates!

I think long term I will go for a EFR9180 1.05 A/R

However, in the short term, I am wondering how well the RB30 would work with the GT2860R-9 turbos?

I imagine it will come on boost earlier, however it will run out of puff earlier as well, and we would need to make sure the turbos didn't overspeed? Any thoughts?

Interesting option, but if I go single, I don't want to compromise.

I'm just wondering if the RB26/30 + GT2860R-9 combination would be usable for a few months, allowing me to attend track days etc. while I continue saving for a full turbo replacement etc.

The money you spend tuning the 9s can be put towards the single so save money and only tune once. ?

Be a great lil saver and drop the $$$ on the EFR you won't regret it.

Remember you're taking a big step going to 8374 from 9s so you're talking a new fuel system, injectors etc new intake and exhaust setup so strip it all down and sell off as much as you can to help fund the new build ?

The 9s will probably die pretty quick with a 3L blowing all that extra hot air up their ass' so sell them to contribute to single as they are worth more fully operational! Hell even 5s on 2.8L & 3L have died premature deaths in my experience so honestly dont even go there with the 9s mate. 

Twin 38mm gates will be fine also ?

Edited by Mick_o
  • Like 1

I'm just fitting a 26/30 in a cefiro. It's an r34 head that's been reco'd,  stock low km rb30 bottom end with head studs and new oil pump. 

I have a 9174 ewg 1.05 and twin 40 mm gates I was going to put on my gtr. 

Should I fit this to the cefiro now and buy another one for gtr later?

Is it overkill for a stock bottom end  as I was thinking 20 psi Max on this combo on p98 as I have the fuel system now to support 550 whp? 

Not sure how far to push the 2630.

4 hours ago, Griffin said:

I'm just fitting a 26/30 in a cefiro.

I have a 9174 ewg 1.05 and twin 40 mm gates I was going to put on my gtr. 

Should I fit this to the cefiro now and buy another one for gtr later?

Is it overkill for a stock bottom end  as I was thinking 20 psi Max on this combo on p98 as I have the fuel system now to support 550 whp? 

Not sure how far to push the 2630.

Fit it up to the Cefiro donk.  See how the fuel system copes - presuming you'll be spending on a decent fuel pressure sensor and monitor fuel system performance.  

If you ran a turbo speed sensor, you could probably evaluate fuel flow requirements vs airflow as a function of turbo speed.  And have a lot of information about what the GTR would require.

2wd Cefiro can only put down so much torque, I'd look at that aspect of how you want to tune the engine.  The two engine breakers will be rpm, and detonation.  If you're fuel system limited then you're not likely to run enough boost to create cylinder pressures that will bend rods.

I've got 750cc injectors, haltech and suitable pump, intercooler and exhaust. Was thinking 500 whp would be enough in a light cefiro.  Should I wind in boost til the injectors are near their limit? 

I accidentally posted previous post here. Sorry to OP. I've moved it to efr thread. Maybe he may find it informative none the less.

• 2 weeks later...

No worries!

This is what I've decided to go with at the moment:

RIPS Forged RB30 Short Block
Sinco RB26/30 Turbo Manifold
Turbosmart 60mm Wastegate
Xspurt 1600cc Injectors
EFR9180 Turbo

Already put a deposit down on the block and purchased the turbo manifold!

Currently deciding what I do with the head.

Tossing up between the following Kelford camshafts:
I want early spool as it's a big turbo, wide powerband, drivable, low maintenance, reliable.

182-E
280 10.5mm
Good for 3.0L, could be too aggressive and lose bottom end?

182-S
272mm 10.5mm
Good for E85

182-C
272 10mm
Good for quick spool up, but would it be ok with a 3.0L?

5 hours ago, Jazzadub said:

I want early spool as it's a big turbo, wide powerband, drivable, low maintenance, reliable.

182-E
280 10.5mm

182-S
272mm 10.5mm
Good for E85

182-C
272 10mm

Two suggestions come to mind:

1. Kick off a thread with this specific question

2. Chase an opinion/advice from Kelford and let us know what they say.  It's their product after all.

Given that you want early spool and the turbo is a big breathing unit, I'd think the smallest 182-C would be the best choice of those three options.

• Like 1

As Dale said ditch the high duration cams if you want response. Youd be surprised how far you can go with stock cams. Id also be looking for bigger injectors for a 9180 if you're planning on really leaning on it as i can almost guarantee you will run out of fuel. 

An 8374 on a 2.8L at 122K out of its 127K rpm limit on E85 is over 80% duty cycle with ID1700's and 490kw. 

38 minutes ago, Mick_o said:

Youd be surprised how far you can go with stock cams. 

+1.  This makes a lot of sense.  Capitalise on the flow capabilities of the turbo.  It's hardly going to be weak up higher.  

Spend the saved money on engineering a capable fuel system from front to back.  Look at pics provided by Piggaz.

On 1/19/2018 at 10:31 AM, Jazzadub said:

I think long term I will go for a EFR9180 1.05 A/R

However, in the short term, I am wondering how well the RB30 would work with the GT2860R-9 turbos?

I imagine it will come on boost earlier, however it will run out of puff earlier as well, and we would need to make sure the turbos didn't overspeed? Any thoughts?

In the UAE,  I had a 350z with a 2630 in it,  was fully forged with some unknown camshafts,  it had GT2860R-9 turbos on it,  and i frigging loved it!

It will work fine trust me =)

350z.jpg

Im assuming you didn't have the car long? 

If 5's aren't living long on 2.8s & 3L's i highly doubt 9s will live long. He's better off selling them in working order and putting his money into the new setup & only paying for 1 tune. Its $2.5K in the bank for bigger better things ?

On 30/01/2018 at 9:15 AM, Jazzadub said:

No worries!

This is what I've decided to go with at the moment:

RIPS Forged RB30 Short Block
Sinco RB26/30 Turbo Manifold
Turbosmart 60mm Wastegate
Xspurt 1600cc Injectors
EFR9180 Turbo

Already put a deposit down on the block and purchased the turbo manifold!

Currently deciding what I do with the head.

182-E
280 10.5mm

182-S
272mm 10.5mm
Good for E85

182-C
272 10mm

If you plan on squeezing the 9180 up there close to full turbine speed, YOU WILL NEED the 1.45 housing.