SAU Community

RB25DET engine rebuild, MaXpeedingRods con rods

15 hours ago, Blakeo said:

They seem to be a good score, just not too sure I'd want to support a chinese company given the current climate with Coronavirus. 

I would love to hear your reasoning behind this, as I'm not sure I follow what you're saying.

• 1 month later...

and shortblock now assembled and complete. If it blows up within a month of being fitted I will be sure to let y'all know otherwise will just be one of the 100's of thousands that have used these rods and been happy with them so you never hear from them. I ran into an old cars associate the other week and told him about using these rods in the build; he rolled his eyes and said 'really??" ...so asked him, have you ever seen a set in person..." well, no"....ever known anyone who's actually used them, and had an issue? " well not me personally"  ….ok well, great chatting, I'll take my own experience and my engine machinist's input over yours, thanks very much.

So bottom line is, the money I saved on these over spool or scat, eagle branded rods went to other parts of the build, and I'm happy with that choice. Oh and I will soon have a rebuilt rb25det bottom end for sale too lol, 12 months old, OEM bearings/rings, ARP rod bolts.. HMU if interested :P.

Now for selecting a new 650-700hp turbo....

• Like 3

I spoke to the manufacturer in China about who there rods are sold to in Australia and the amount of high-end company names that came up was a bit of a shock. Paying for the name these days.

12 minutes ago, Zeus33 said:

I spoke to the manufacturer in China about who there rods are sold to in Australia and the amount of high-end company names that came up was a bit of a shock. Paying for the name these days.

not necessarily... there's more to the chain than manufacture >> sell... big names who have built up a reputation of quality and reliability will undoubtedly have some level of quality control in place that the cheaper alternatives don't. This is why you'll see a wider range of people with bad AND good results with cheaper options, as they sell what they purchase, so it's just luck of the draw. However a company with good QC will identify and hopefully scrap a portion of their inventory and have to absorb the cost of those goods that don't meet their standards as well as the cost to conduct the QC tests and so what they do sell costs more.

• Like 1

Same manufacturer does not imply same manufacturing techniques, machines, processes, QA/QC rules on tool inspection and replacement (CNC machines are not magical devices - they require a f**kton of expert care and feeding), etc etc.

To a large extent you can set your pricepoint and tailor the quality of the manufacture to suit.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

someone messaged me about this recently, asking, any issues with the rods? It's been a nice trip down memory lane re-reading this thread, ahh yes good times.

Years later now, with the engine given full throttle every time it's driven, and zero issues with the engine, it's still running faultlessly. So yes, good result using the Max rods.

• Like 7