SAU Community

17x9 BBS LM big brake clearance

Noticed my front brake rotors on my 32 could do with replacing in the very near future, they are the 280mm so they are stock 32 GTST brakes.

Car currently has 365kW and I’m looking at potentially doing a few track days in the very near future so would like to possibly increase the size of the brakes.

The issue I have is my current wheel setup, 17x9 ET23 BBS LM’s. They aren’t the best wheel for big brakes I know however I’m just wondering if anyone has had these wheels with a larger than 280mm rotors. 

Any suggestions for suitable front brake upgrades? R32 GTR/350z/Evo? 

Would a decent disc and pad combo be enough using the stock 280mm brakes?

I would love to keep the wheels ideally though. 

have also tried searching and can’t find much on SAU.

also attached some poor photos showing current brake clearance.C9887A8E-5E83-44FD-8C7C-E6378565E209.thumb.jpeg.eab8ed614cf596dcdf2e7e5168d63108.jpeg5E83B7DE-E7CB-4A95-8F3A-C847FC9A6961.thumb.jpeg.3ea4b636419dca3090f3bc27f3d24c84.jpeg33DBD75E-3930-4692-AC36-470BD73A3BB2.thumb.jpeg.e045b6b52958057ff532438c41264491.jpeg

Looks like you will struggle to fit anything bigger, depending on the track and speeds a good set of pads, lines and fluid will be enough. If you decide to go bigger look at 350z brembo fronts as they will fit under most 17s (te37, rpf1, r33 gtr) 

I've been using project mu pads and 4000 series rotors with good consistent feel for 6+ years and am trialling a set of Elig pads at the moment but haven't had to do as heavy braking but seem alright for a budget brake pad. 

you can go a fair bit bigger under 17s diameter wise, I run 324mm GTR discs under 17s. But, as you can see the caliper is close to the spokes so caliper design (height) could be a problem.

The ATTKD calipers are pretty low profile so that is one way to go but I suspect R32 GTR calipers will fit too as they are very similar to what you have height wise.

Kind of hard to be sure without bolting them up, and you always have the option of 5mm slip on spacers if it is too close

I think there is roughly 20mm from the outside edge of the caliper to the nuts on the back of the wheel and maybe 5-6mm clearance from front of caliper to rear of spoke. Think I’ll get some proper measurements this week and see what I’m faced with. 

Will also see if there are any 32gtr calipers for sale too.

If those spokes don't curve back in towards the caliper any more as you go further out (radially), then you will be able to fit either the R32 GTR, R33 GTST or R34 GTT Sumitomo calipers (which are all basically the same dimensions, just spaced out radially via leg length differences) with a reasonable degree of certainty.

If they do curve back, then as the caliper goes out radially, you will be at risk of using up all your clearance.

R32 324mm Brembos are a more compact caliper than the Sumitomos, but obviously they are 22mm radially further out than the R32 GTSt calipers sit, so you will have to rely on measurement/trial there.

'Twere me, wanting big brakes for biggish power track work, then I'd be changing wheels.

I believe i actually have some r32 gtr front calipers that came with a shell i bought a few years ago - i'll try one on the car tonight (if i can find them).

If they do fit, wheres the best place to get a rebuild kit from these days? do i go straight to nissan for them?

Done a little bit of googling trying to figure out what vehicles the f40 caliper came on and it’s saying ford fpv vehicles. So am I looking for calipers off a falcon? (I’m a Pom so I know absolutely nothing about fords or holdens...so please excuse my ignorance)

F40 are so called because that's the ferrari they were originally on. Probably lots of cars since with the same caliper, they were just a large 4 piston caliper with radial mount so they could be moved out more easily with adapters

Your problem won't be clearance to the outside of the wheel, you can fit at least 330mm discs under there before you need to remove wheel weights..... The issue is thick calipers hitting the spokes if they curve in at the outsides

• Like 1

did a bit more googling and found these.... im actually pretty tempted to purchase the adapters first, bolt them up and see if the calipers clear. 

http://www.uniqueautosports.com.au/Parts-Shop/brake-calliper-adapters-(front)---32,-33-gtst-3287.aspx

or these,

https://au.gktech.com/products/brakes/brake-adapters/z32-r32-s14-s15-caliper-bracket-to-suit-324mm-r33-gtr-rotor-1

Its probably the cheapest way of trialling bigger brakes as i can use my current caliper with this kit - also dont have to purchase rotors or anything until i know they fit.

Edited by DaymoR32

A couple of things to note.

The adapters pictures on the UAS page are not for 280mm calipers spaced out to 324. They are for 296mm calipers (R33 GTST or R32 GTR) spaced out to 324. Note that they are offset in a weird shape.

The GKTech ones pictured are definitely for spacing out 280mm > 324mm.

I must stress that UAS probably have the correct adapters and will probably send the right ones to you. But if you do choose to buy from them, just double check that they haven't accidentally crossed the streams!

Also, the pad shape/curvature of the Sumitomo calipers is not completely great on the 324mm rotors. They tend to hang off the rotor a bit. If you're going to buy these for a test fit, you should also make some rings our of plywood that slip on the OD of the 280mm rotor to take the outside edge of it out to 324, so you can see the location of the pad relative to the rotor before you decide to go ahead. There has been plenty posted about this before, showing what people have done. It's not insurmountable, just something you should know about before proceding.

1 minute ago, GTSBoy said:

A couple of things to note.

The adapters pictures on the UAS page are not for 280mm calipers spaced out to 324. They are for 296mm calipers (R33 GTST or R32 GTR) spaced out to 324. Note that they are offset in a weird shape.

The GKTech ones pictured are definitely for spacing out 280mm > 324mm.

I must stress that UAS probably have the correct adapters and will probably send the right ones to you. But if you do choose to buy from them, just double check that they haven't accidentally crossed the streams!

Also, the pad shape/curvature of the Sumitomo calipers is not completely great on the 324mm rotors. They tend to hang off the rotor a bit. If you're going to buy these for a test fit, you should also make some rings our of plywood that slip on the OD of the 280mm rotor to take the outside edge of it out to 324, so you can see the location of the pad relative to the rotor before you decide to go ahead. There has been plenty posted about this before, showing what people have done. It's not insurmountable, just something you should know about before proceding.

Thanks for the advice, i'll order the GKtech ones as theres a few other things i want to grab off the website whilst im there. i'll do a bit more searching and check out what people have done in the past, thanks for pointing me in the right direction ?

As Duncan said the F40 is a chunky old 4 piston calliper which I chose because it was 1990 something and because it has the same piston area as the GTR Brembos with a larger and fairly common pad.

Point being that if anything is going to foul the BBS spokes it is probably that calliper.  And it doesnt.

The BBS rims in that size are ex Japan and from what I can tell made for the 32 GTR.  17x9+20.

20200713_155919.jpg

20200713_155944.jpg