SAU Community

R32 GTST - 600KW+ RB28/CD009 Build

Wrapped up my cold side piping and most of my meth injection kit. I just have the wiring in the trunk left to do. 

image.thumb.jpeg.eaa6afc8772a1c317c2d88ade3176cb2.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.bed0b006f08109c1293f097a401770c9.jpeg

I also ended up receiving my 6466. Went with a twin scroll 1.0 T4. I'm not a fan of Precision not making wheel maps public, and have always been hesitant in the past to purchase from them because of it, but here I am. I am surprised of its small package though. I was expecting the compressor housing to be much larger. It's a tad smaller than the HY35 Holset I had on my RB20. 

image.thumb.jpeg.3e47a319b11a737a3ccee404a92bbb9b.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

Wrapped up the wiring for my meth injection kit last weekend. Just have running and fault feedback to wire into my ecu left. This weekend I welded on my wastegate flanges and installed my EGT's.

IMG_20221127_152632_edit_455854233597106.thumb.jpg.0fe9bf40a9006879fa2041815f06c7d8.jpgIMG_20221127_154637.thumb.jpg.9d86bc903d44a57981ecd10e3e52ebcf.jpg

Quality control at 6boost has gone down a tad. Wastegate provisions needed some work, angle was all wrong compared to the past two manifolds I've had and the supplied studs were overly plated and required some removal to be used. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hello from Ontario!! Very impressed with your build and it is giving me lots of motivation to keep going with mine as well. I am not doing anything near as involved, but I really appreciate the quality parts used and the do it right the first time attitude. Maybe one day when the cars are on the road we can meet up half way or something! Good luck with your progress, you have a lot of us hooked!! - Chris. 

On 12/16/2022 at 10:04 AM, Chris O said:

Hello from Ontario!! Very impressed with your build and it is giving me lots of motivation to keep going with mine as well. I am not doing anything near as involved, but I really appreciate the quality parts used and the do it right the first time attitude. Maybe one day when the cars are on the road we can meet up half way or something! Good luck with your progress, you have a lot of us hooked!! - Chris. 

Thanks a lot! appreciate the kind words. I'm a big believer in buy once, cry once. I built enough cars with ebay parts in my youth to know the ramifications haha. Yea i'm always open to meet! 

On 6/2/2022 at 9:46 PM, DaymoR32 said:

cool, will still be interested in what values you get too though :)

Finally got around to filling my tank.  My scaling ended up as 0.05V full, 1.10V empty. 

IMG_20221223_145034.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Over the last month I wrapped up most of my exhaust, fuel and ignition. 

Went with Radium fuel rail, damper, filter, FPR and 1200CC EV14's. Built my 3.5" catback out of an assortment of parts. Injectors needed tops removed and 14mm orings to fit. Also purchased a Nissan Quest alternator to keep up with the fuel pumps and R35 coil packs. 

I just have my 4" downpipe left to make to be able to start it up. It should start next weekend. I still have a fair bit of work left but it will be nice to hear it running again, it's been a long year. 

IMG_20221228_180157.thumb.jpg.5d5a8f91200d69474715f8b47bff3897.jpgIMG_20221226_085909.thumb.jpg.01a9a9ab2d272a1974a9ca1a2724b926.jpgIMG_20230127_184217.thumb.jpg.f371184e955f3218deb74a1836ebe5a4.jpgIMG_20230128_200842.thumb.jpg.0c5a638b0e2e394e8fb3c6ffc98012f9.jpg

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

Over the last few weeks, I finally wrapped up the remaining items to get the car started and drivable. Starting with my 4" downpipe. She was a tight fit. 

image.thumb.jpeg.1d6ef176a9e5354919a5b81df98da48c.jpegIMG_20230206_124052.thumb.jpg.1484ebe173cd330c9bbeae5a741931f4.jpg

I hated having to cut up a brand new compressor housing, but it is what it is. Welded on an elbow onto my 6466 housing. 

image.thumb.jpeg.db473f69e8b3e66ad3adaf15a7fc53d0.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.061c7be6b6c78ca2a55fe48c2145fcfb.jpeg

After first startup, I had a decent sized oil leak from the front behind timing cover that I had one hell of a fun time locating. Ended up being my intake cam seal. Somehow it was not pushed in enough, but I was able to amend it by just removing the valve cover and cam cap. I was happy I didn't have to remove everything to get it resolved.

I was also very pleased to see my CD0009 conversion with dual plate clutch seems to be working great. Collins had told me this would never work with a milled down bell housing as apposed to using their adapter flywheel. I refused to use their adapter flywheels, as I really disliked the idea of having a lot more weight hanging out further from the crank and with a milled bell housing, I could retain stock shifter location. Besides that I also rebuilt my starter as it began sticking for some reason. That's working well now as well. 

I heat cycled it twice, set timing offset and fuel pressure and changed the oil. I was happy to be able to drive the car out on its own after a year of pushing it out of the garage and winching it back in. Could not go further then the driveway though as it's still winter here. Should be able to drive it around the block in about 2-3 weeks. After I got it running, I installed my upgraded Nissan Quest alternator with a 5-0 Ignite adapter. Quest alternators supposedly pump out a bit more then LS alternators.

image.thumb.jpeg.aab63e10a14e61ef09d4535477d90be9.jpeg

Last items I have on the list is to install my Haltech IO expander that has been on backorder for the last three months. Hopefully that arrives soon. I needed more inputs for Meth injection. I also received my Greddy oil cooler and Nismo GT LSD. Should wrap up the oil cooler this weekend and hopefully pull the diff next week. 

image.thumb.jpeg.d9232b8037d5ac0cb4789c4caf52277b.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.be28c78ddbb08480e2c7a39f54f5c862.jpeg

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

Woohoo!

She's alive!

Obligatory question, wen skids?

Technically speaking, skids already accomplished. If you noticed I mentioned In my last post I drove it out of the garage under its own power but had to winch it back into the garage.... that's because of just skids and no traction with summer tires on snow in my driveway trying to get back into the garage 😄

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

First drive with it today. We have a winter tire law in affect until March 15th, but applied for an exemption this morning so I could drive it and start breaking it in.

Car felt great and everything seemed good. Three things that really stuck out though... First, twin plate clutches are as terribly loud as everyone says. Second, a 1.01 6466 might have been a tad on the small side for a built RB28. It instantly spools. I would not be surprised if it made boost on idle. Good for most, but I was hoping to use the size to limit lower end torque. 

Lastly, I did not toss my 3.3 final drive and nismo diff in yet. A CD009 with the original 4.3 final drive is comedic to drive. 1st - 3rd gears are useless and get you to 30kmh. 4th and 5th are used to accelerate and 6th is for cruising past 70kmh. I've never shifted so many times in such a short period of time before. 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

You're making me want to install a Precision as well lol...

Haha, I was trying my hardest not to create any boost pressure and keep it under 3000rpm as I'm still breaking it in... yet my blow off valve kept popping off 😄

1 hour ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

Lol...

I like having a street/circuit car, not a drag car 

I like a street car that I take to the drags, that doesn't break everytime I take it out

#stillR33triggered

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

Lol...

I like having a street/circuit car, not a drag car 

All in at 4,100 on my half f**ked 2.6 is far from being a drag car 

• Like 1