SAU Community

R32 GTST - 600KW+ RB28/CD009 Build

Just waiting on my serial nine shifter to arrive but I mock installed the CD009 and it seems to fit great. I'll write a DIY once I'm done. With my XClutch twin disk, I required a 32mm bearing carrier as opposed to the 42mm one Collins supplies. 

Fun facts, I'll give the transmission a shake test once it's back in but so far I see no need to massage the trans tunnel... it fits. Tight but fits. If you use the adapter flywheel as apposed to milling the bellhousing I have a feeling it wouldn't fit as easily though. 

The Collins adapter plate worked better then I thought it would but their after sales support is absolute garbage and I refuse to ever purchase another one of their products. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 7/27/2022 at 9:58 AM, TurboTapin said:

Just waiting on my serial nine shifter to arrive but I mock installed the CD009 and it seems to fit great. I'll write a DIY once I'm done. With my XClutch twin disk, I required a 32mm bearing carrier as opposed to the 42mm one Collins supplies. 

Fun facts, I'll give the transmission a shake test once it's back in but so far I see no need to massage the trans tunnel... it fits. Tight but fits. If you use the adapter flywheel as apposed to milling the bellhousing I have a feeling it wouldn't fit as easily though. 

The Collins adapter plate worked better then I thought it would but their after sales support is absolute garbage and I refuse to ever purchase another one of their products. 

what ratio are you going with for the rear diff?

On 7/27/2022 at 7:43 PM, DaymoR32 said:

what ratio are you going with for the rear diff?

So far I've been eyeing the speedtek 3.33 final drive that seems to be perfect for my application (High HP, R200 & CD009) but have not looked into it in detail yet. 

I'm planning on working on the rear end (Anti squat, diff, axles, etc.) once the engine bay and all rewiring is wrapped up. 

Edited by TurboTapin

On 7/28/2022 at 10:25 AM, TurboTapin said:

So far I've been eyeing the speedtek 3.33 final drive that seems to be perfect for my application (High HP, R200 & CD009) but have not looked into it in detail yet. 

I'm planning on working on the rear end (Anti squat, diff, axles, etc.) once the engine bay and all rewiring is wrapped up. 

Nice, didnt realise someone had released a gearset, was always wondering what people ran with the CD009.

Gonna be a really nice build this!

Sadly I have yet to receive my 32mm release bearing carrier and my trans installation has been stalled due to it. Waiting for parts has been increasingly annoying but it's the world we live in now... I've been seeing 40+ week lead times for parts at work for things I use to pick up same day off the shelf. 

I figured to speed things up I'd get my 42mm Collins carrier machined down... it ended on a bad yet funny note. Brought my carrier to my local machinist. 30 minutes later he calls stating "Things have gone terribly wrong and to come by" I laughed as this is a simple 10min lathe job. I arrive and my carrier has transformed into three pieces. It seems Collins uses a 24mm carrier and press fits on another 18mm spacer onto it. The way it's done, neither my machinist or I caught onto it. We both presumed it was one piece. He basically blew through the pressed on part turning it into 2 pieces and third being the original 24mm carrier. He felt bad, I just laughed and told him it's fine... He offered to make another press on adapter but by that point I figured I should just wait for my 32mm carrier to arrive and called it a day. 

I did install my serial nine shifter and was very pleased. At the price these things cost I was expecting perfection and they delivered. Easy installation and shifts fantastically for such a short linkage. I went with the serial nine as it's the only one I believe that will fit in the original shifter hole without any cutting. 

image.thumb.jpeg.909ec7869cfac8d7d01ee2fb2b199833.jpeg

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Finally wrapped up the CD009 install. What a bitch it was getting that in, they are rather large and heavy. In hindsight, it's a somewhat easy job once you you've done it before. Spent more time measuring and confirming things then actually installing it as I was nervous getting it to work with my twin disc as Collins said it couldn't be done.

I'll probably create a DIY with more details on here once I have time as I could not find much if anything about the installation process, correct release bearing, etc. when milling down the bell housing as apposed to using the longer flywheel. All I can say is an air hammer is your friend when it comes to making room. I made a mount bracket and used my GK Tech RB trans mount. To my surprise, the holes line up perfectly. 

The CD999 shifter sits in the original location but I did need to cut out some of the tunnel to have it fit due to its design. I'll post photos of that tomorrow. I had to drop my engine a bit to get the correct driveshaft angle (-2Deg at trans, +2deg at differential. 

It's great shifting a modern transmission though and that extra gear will be great. 

image.thumb.jpeg.ec2f4cb0f89a12fc8b4de808e0ba13a5.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.c689e539950c98da78adcf696523f2aa.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.d8313008ac3f53105754957959303b14.jpeg

• Like 7

Today I tried to install my Greddy intake manifold but the R32 clutch master was in the way which I somewhat expected. Purchased the shorter R33 master which should arrive tomorrow. Meanwhile I finished up the hard tubing for my VCT and rear oil drain.

image.thumb.jpeg.02fe58a6271839b27232943e22cfae15.jpeg

Here's the pictures of the CD009/Serial Nine shifter placement I forgot to post. 

With new sheet metal plate that is bolted in using 4 original bolts. 

image.thumb.jpeg.b207e08184d23868beb6f420ee9384f3.jpeg

With Insulation mat
image.thumb.jpeg.c20c6ebcda807c475538aa797a5b1dd5.jpeg

With original boot. 

image.jpeg

Edited by TurboTapin
  • Like 4

• TurboTapin changed the title to R32 GTST - 600KW+ RB28/CD009 Build

I've been slowly wrapping up odd ends. Finished up the fuel lines. Using both original 5/16 lines as feed merging into an 8an soft line on both ends and added a 3/8 hardline and 6an soft as return. 

Took my driveshaft measurements and sent those out, custom shaft should arrive soon. Also ordered another 6Boost manifold... this being my third I figured why change now. Last big purchase before starting it up should be my turbo. I'm still leaning towards a Precision 6466 but not 100% sold on it yet.

While I wait for parts, I'm continuing the wiring. First time Haltech user and I'm really not impressed with the lack of IO testing capabilities...

image.thumb.jpeg.8df5f2f554ce0ace46dc8744054833ea.jpeg

• Like 2

On 9/2/2022 at 1:58 AM, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

Looking real good bro!

Also love it when I see DBW used, it bothers me seeing big dollar builds and owners use conventional throttles with the OEM leaky valves to control idle.

Thanks! Yea I'm big on doing things right the first time and will also be using all the safety features available as well. (EGT's, WMI Monitoring, etc.) 

While on the topic, I hate when people spend big dollar on builds or wire tucks but while going through their electrical, you spot wires twisted and taped instead of soldered or crimped, shielding not used or done improperly, incorrect wire gauge, wires extended so long you get excessive voltage drop, etc. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Wrapped up a lot of odd ends over the last two weeks. Installed my one-piece driveshaft, wrapped up all engine and transmission wiring, tested all IO and DBW. For whatever reason, outsider garage bumped up the throttle body adapter bolts from M6 to M8's which required drilling out my magnus adapter. I had originally purchased a Taarks adapter that I sadly destroyed trying to get it to work due to a difference in design.

Completed my clutch hydraulics (R33 Master with Z33 slave). The slave required ever so slight material removal for it not to interfere with the transmission adapter plate. 

Only wiring I'll have left is for the Meth injection kit. I'm waiting it out hoping Haltech updates firmware's to allow IC7 inputs to be read from an Elite ecu. I'm really trying to avoid purchasing an IO expander. One less thing to go wrong. Tomorrow I'll dump my old gas and scale my IC7 fuel level then start working on the intercooler piping. Going 3" hot, and 3"/3.5" cold. I also need to start looking for a proper BOV. The last vent to atmosphere BOV I had was on my 93 wrx 14+ years ago. I've only ran DV's since. My inner child is excited to hear Psssshhh again.  

image.thumb.jpeg.a89e6689c73c0b969f8f5d1b6ca9e92f.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.e6dcd6229a856d58162e36d946f5c0e6.jpeg

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Turbotapin,

nice build, could i ask what the length is from the intake manifold flange to the end of the silicone adapter is? your setup looks exactly like what i want to convert to, and want to see if it will all fit in the space i have.

On 10/5/2022 at 11:09 PM, Looney_Head said:

Hi Turbotapin,

nice build, could i ask what the length is from the intake manifold flange to the end of the silicone adapter is? your setup looks exactly like what i want to convert to, and want to see if it will all fit in the space i have.

Thanks! Here's a picture. It's 117mm(4-5/8"). Cheers. 

image.jpeg

• Like 1

Parts have been rolling in. 6Boost manifold should also arrive next week which will allow me to continue with the engine. It's a long weekend here so I'll work on my front brakes. 

I'll be going with 350z track edition Brembo's, StopTech 12.5" rotors and Hawk HPS pads. Calipers are both remanufactured and first thing to do will be to paint them and smack a Brembo logo on them for added bling. 

image.thumb.jpeg.d59662b09e3ad49131f436e265df5f91.jpeg

There's a few writeup of it. I was originally planning on drilling out my hubs for the larger M14 caliper bolts but the idea of using M14/M12 Time Sert's never crossed my mind until I saw this DIY.

R32 Skyline – Budget Brembo Brake Upgrade | GoodeZilla

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Small update. Finished up the front brakes. Happy how the rotors fill out the wheels. I allso received my 6Boost manifold and AEM V3 WMI kit. Worked on a little more intercooler piping as well. 

image.thumb.jpeg.e3fa23a4f4cf331f6557c15a899d96d6.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.bd53c6010d688d431eadd21829bfed34.jpeg

6Boost seems to have updated their manifolds. Flange and pipe routing is different, and it's not painted with BBQ paint anymore which I appreciate. Sadly, I had ordered 3/16 EGT's and the manifold was supplied with 1/4" EGT bungs. I can still make this work, but I also noticed the EGT's I ordered are ridiculously long... so may just replace them all together. 

image.thumb.jpeg.7b4a249b7142fa01bc56c5729eb8811b.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.4797c6aaca77063fc51e974fecf9c634.jpeg

I'm on vacation this week so can hopefully wrap up the Water/Meth Kit install and weld on the wastegate flanges. 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/30/2022 at 8:48 PM, DaymoR32 said:

brakes look great, i have a similar sized setup on the same wheels (HFM dogbone adapters and 324mm rotors) love how it pretty much fills the whole wheel!

Thanks! Nice! I had actually considered going that route as well. Love the bigger discs.