SAU Community

Overheating 25det

darkoh69

20 hours ago, robbo_rb180 said:

I'd say the biggest issue will be the 2 cheap fans on it that came with the radiator. Ditch them and get the factory clutch fan and shroud on. The cheap stuff doesn't move enough air.

The only electric fans worth putting on are either spal or maradyne. In 14 or 16 inch with proper shroud.

I use cheaper radiators but always use factory fan or the mentioned electric ones with no issues. 

Sorted!! F**king loving it! Ditched the twin fan setup for the single 14. Running perfect! Cheers robbo_rb180 because the twin fans were brand new, if you hadn’t mentioned it I wouldn’t have even spared a thought for them being the issue! I know its not the clutch fan setup every one suggests but its a win either way. So cheers to everyone for chiming in, made my year ya bloody legends!!!

• Like 4

3 hours ago, darkoh69 said:

as the old saying goes if aint broke dont fix it  

Yeah, as in shouldn't have changed the factory stuff there in the first place which is why Dose Pipe said what he said.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

9 hours ago, BK said:

Yeah, as in shouldn't have changed the factory stuff there in the first place which is why Dose Pipe said what he said.

Factory stuff broke years ago. All I could get at the time was a 14 inch electric & a cheap Chinese thick alloy radiator which for many years after never let me down which is why I said what I said

Oil temp on track will hit 150C in a lap or two. Or at least it did for me. So yeah, oil cooler pretty mandatory for track fun.

110C is the exact point the needle moves from "middle" to high in a R34. 109C is middle. So there is no 3/4 anything on a 34, but yes this thread is about a R33 so who knows whether that is accurate.

OEM fan is best. Always. Nigh on impossible to break the OEM fans. OEM fan without shroud is still pretty much the 2nd best thing lol.

5 hours ago, darkoh69 said:

Most later model cars run em

Yes, as part of a system that was designed around having that fan. On RB engined cars, the radiator was sized around the air flow that could be pulled by the engine driven fan, which is an enormous number compared to what you can pull with even the best electric fans.

So, your experience is that it works. But when you present it with a challenge, such as idling in a traffic jam at 45°C ambient air T, 50+°C road temperature (which is a common event where I drive mine) then you will likely find that the electric fan version will suffer a lot earlier than the engine fan one will. And that is why there are only a couple of 14" electric fans that people say are acceptable, because these are the only ones that have managed to get close to the performance of the stock setup, with all others found to be not-as-good(TM).

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Kinkstaah said:

oil temp on track will hit 150C in a lap or two. Or at least it did for me. So yeah, oil cooler pretty mandatory for track fun.

Jesus, that's way too high!

I run a 25 row Setrab core in the driver side guard and I can manage to keep oil sub 130°C doing continuous hot laps (well did, till the engine seized lol).

2 hours ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

I run a 25 row Setrab core in the driver side guard and I can manage to keep oil sub 130°C doing continuous hot laps (well did, till the engine seized lol).

Should’ve had electric fans engine probably still be spinning 😜

• Haha 2

29 minutes ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

Haha actually the motor seized because the sump was sucked dry around a corner and the oil couldn't return to the sump fast enough.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

This was pre-oil cooler on the RB! Post Oil cooler it sat at about 100C ish doing the same kind of hot laps. This was with the cooler in the driver side.

Post change to LS I had the cooler in the passenger side, and noticed it actually cooled better there than in the drivers side. But I moved it back to the driver side due to my intake. Did 70 hot laps at Sandown and water stayed at 87 and oil was happy at about 105.

With thermofansomg (but they are OEM AU ones). Utterly irrelevent to this discussion other than OEM VERY GOOD YES YES.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kinkstaah said:
With thermofansomg (but they are OEM AU ones). Utterly irrelevent to this discussion other than OEM VERY GOOD YES YES.

No I see relevance in this. It seems like your saying ‘oem very good, but thermos are very good also.’ & ‘In your experience falcon thermos are better’.