SAU Community

ACC staying on once key is removed

5 minutes ago, OO Dan OO said:

Just recently my accessories is staying on once my key has been removed.

is there anything I can test or a work-around to put acc on a seperate switch instead?

You sure your accessory relays aren't sticking closed? They hang out under the the interior fuse panel.

• Like 1

I pulled all the relays out from under the dash. And accessories where still on. 
I happened when I was re-fitting the cluster surround. I still had my keys in the ignition and had to kind of force them out.

do you know what relay in particular? Pulling it out should turn everything off right?

4 minutes ago, OO Dan OO said:

I pulled all the relays out from under the dash. And accessories where still on. 
I happened when I was re-fitting the cluster surround. I still had my keys in the ignition and had to kind of force them out.

do you know what relay in particular? Pulling it out should turn everything off right?

Top two relays are accessory relays, bottom-most is the ignition relay. That last bit makes me wonder if your ignition barrel is damaged as robbo mentioned.

I always love the way the story comes out in dribs and drabs.

OP, you f**ked it. It is up to you to work out what you f**ked. Luckily for you, Robbo is likely right on it.

Unluckily for you, these things don't grow on trees any more.

Edited by GTSBoy
  • Like 1

There is a connector to unplug the ignition switch from the wiring harness about 4 inches away. Unplug it and see if you still have acc powered on, if you do its the relay thats broken. Otherwise its the switch.

On the bottom of the ignition barrel is a tiny screw, undo that and the switch with the wires attached comes apart from the barrel.

When you have it out of the car you test the electrical switch itself.

• Thanks 1

They don't sell the lock barrels anymore, but they do still sell the barrel switch and wiring which is more then likely what you need. Part# 48750-D4500. 30$

If for whatever reason you need the whole kit, 3gspares.co.nz has a used set.

On 29/5/2023 at 7:14 PM, alexj said:

There is a connector to unplug the ignition switch from the wiring harness about 4 inches away. Unplug it and see if you still have acc powered on, if you do its the relay thats broken. Otherwise its the switch.

On the bottom of the ignition barrel is a tiny screw, undo that and the switch with the wires attached comes apart from the barrel.

When you have it out of the car you test the electrical switch itself.

I unplugged the ignition wiring from the harness and I still have acc on. Which relay should I check?

image.thumb.jpeg.ea2130d6723d0ff3a57a096b10d89ef0.jpeg

you could look them up on the wiring diagram but its easier to just unplug the blue relays until the circuit you are interested loses power.

Edited by alexj

4 hours ago, alexj said:

you could look them up on the wiring diagram but its easier to just unplug the blue relays until the circuit you are interested loses power.

I have pulled every relay in the car out and acc still stays on. I even pulled them leaving all of them out and still acc is on.

thos is some kind of supernatural shit

13 hours ago, OO Dan OO said:

I have pulled every relay in the car out and acc still stays on. I even pulled them leaving all of them out and still acc is on.

thos is some kind of supernatural shit

Not supernatural, someone has probably messed with the wiring and it has effectively made the acc line always live. I have seen improper radio grounding do something similar before.

Turns out the acc do turn off but it was the dash and tail lights that won't turn off. I unplugged the headlight switch and they still stay on. At least I have ruled the switch out. For now I am powering the tail lights from a different fuse which turns off when the key is off. But it's a really hacky way to not have to disconnect the battery every time I get out of the car.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, OO Dan OO said:

Turns out the acc do turn off but it was the dash and tail lights that won't turn off. I unplugged the headlight switch and they still stay on. At least I have ruled the switch out. For now I am powering the tail lights from a different fuse which turns off when the key is off. But it's a really hacky way to not have to disconnect the battery every time I get out of the car.

That circuit is always live, just switched through the dashboard. So you'd have to figure out why the circuit is completing when it shouldn't.

1 hour ago, joshuaho96 said:

That circuit is always live, just switched through the dashboard. So you'd have to figure out why the circuit is completing when it shouldn't.

Do you think it could have something to do with the high beam dash light? I think I may have removed it cos my beams don't work anyway

21 minutes ago, OO Dan OO said:

Do you think it could have something to do with the high beam dash light? I think I may have removed it cos my beams don't work anyway

I would find that hard to believe, that's just creating another break in the circuit.