SAU Community

Aussie R31 discussion...

predator

Ok, well the DR30's, and a few of the other older cars are covered quite well in here.. thought i'd kick off an aussie r31 discussion..

So list your car, what your plans are for it.. and what you use it for.. and I guess people can start speaking various shit from here onwards :rant:

Mine is a 1986 gx which i got with about 305,000km on the clock.. about 5 months ago now.

Car: White GX (gx is the best..)

Year: 1986

Purchased:: About 5 months ago

Km: 325,000km

Cost: $1500

Best thing about the car: I can disrespect it to the shit, thrash it to the balls, and the noise of the exhaust scares old ladies. I really don't care if it stops for $1500. And it does handle, go, and stop pretty well compared to a lot of RWD out there.

Its now done about 325,000km although the odometer stopped about 3 months ago because i was ****ing with it :Oops: To some its like "325,000" WTF.. but to me that just makes it better.. if i can kick it past 400,000km and still be kicking the ass of a few cars out there i'll be happy :)

Engine is 2nd engine w/ I think about 200,000km on that one. Seems to be ok. Sometimes I think its chewed all the oil and the engine is about to die, and others it seems to be fine.

I bought it 'cause I wanted a daily driver as I drive about 800km a week.. and thought it was a good idea to have a 2nd car. Then the R33 started shitting me up the wall.. so i sold that (overpriced pieces of turbo taxi), and now i just got the 31 till my next toy gets here.

So far changed the front brake pads, got a new centre chucked in the diff ($50 for diff + $150 for install) and changed the lower trailing arms to nolethane ($80) which has improved the handling a lot. Its very go-kart at the mo' which is the great thing about them.

At the start, I had kind of rough plans "one day" to change it turbo it... but strictly n/a just isn't enough power for me I've decided.. All the right stuff came up at the right price, so I'm not far off now.. So probably in 2 months or so will bolt all the crap on and aiming for 150rwkw. As long as I can surprise a few r32 and r33's I'll be happy ;) If the engine pops not sure, might just get another one, or maybe grab one of a VLT.

Later on I'm thinking I might just go the whole hog and turn this into a track machine, when I don't need to drive this every day... weld the diff, chuck the seats out, put some r32 brakes on there, etc. Should go alright, and i think being a GX i could get it down to 1200kg or so..

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i got some pix too..

i am a sucker for rice so riced up the interior a bit..

note the latest in space-aged race material for the drivers seat :rant:

yep: at the moment its still got the girl shifter. But I drive a lot of KM at the moment so really CBF changing gears.. one day i'll maybe convert it

When the turbo goes on should be fun pulling up next to a v8 . Cops don't even look twice at it either :)

Most people are probably familiar with my car, but for those who aren't.....

Car: White Ti

Purchased:: Almost 2 years ago

Mods:

Body:

Removed nudge bar, debadged bonnet and boot, colour coded bumpers, trim and rear numberplate surround, GTS grille, Silhouette front spoiler, custom clear front indicators, phat chromy zorst. Got a set of HR31 struts/rotors/calipers waiting to go on (just need to get the discs machined)

Motor:

Custom intake, pod with white powdercoated custom heat-shield, extractors with polished custom heat-shield, polished plenum, polished rocker cover, polished power steering canister, polished radiator cap, lots of lavender paint and purple hose coverings. (See my gallery for motor pics)

Interior:

Mostly stock (Love the Ti interior!)

JVC MP3 player with Pioneer rears and Jaycar front splits, a few bits of Nismo rice, a couple of extra dash buttons (including ejector seat and rear missile!!)

Here's a "before and after" comparison of the bodywork.

Plenty more pics available in my gallery

262then_and_now.jpg

:rant:

Here is a list of my babies

Car 1 1988 Series 3 Ti

I bought it just over a year ago

Modifications

Its just got a nice set of 16 inch wheels, pedders lowered suspension, tinted windows and some nice sound. It's a pretty mint car, and had only covered 150,000 kays when I bought it of its original owner. It has a nice tape deck and stacker in the boot for good measure. The colour is Night Glow (greeny/greyie) and has that mmm, mmm, mmm brown Ti interior.

Car 2 1988 GTS1

I just bought this puppy over from perth.

Modifications None that are gonna stay on the car, its going back to original spec. Its curently having a mechanical resto, so is off the road for a few days.

Car 3 1989 GTS 2

I have had this car for about eighteen months.

Modifications Apart from a set of twin thermo fans, and new exhaust, (stainless same as factory), this car is stock as a rock, and won't ever change. It's a pearler, and I reckon, (some will argue the point), that this car would have to be the most original, best GTS2 in Victoria. Thats my opinion anyway. (Modest aren't I).

Claim to fame. My GTS 2 was featured in November 2003 unique cars magazine, and I was cordially invited to bring it along to the Prince Skyline 40th Anniversary at Beechworth.

I have spent a lot of time and money restoring this car, and hopefully the white one will be almost as good within the next year or so.

Hi Guys,

just a friendly reminder to keep general chit chat etc.. out of this thread. Any technical questions etc.. post a new thread.

We don't want 50 page threads popping up everywhere (makes searching for important information too hard)

thanks guys

my r31:

1990 GXE

sky blue over grey

auto box

rb30e

bought in 1998 for $6000

what i've done to it:

as of this weekend i've installed parabolic headlights

extractors 2 1/2" exhaust to a final cannon with 4" tip :bat:

munroe GT shocks with lowered king springs had a LSD installed 3 weeks ago

for the moment i have a set of 17" buddy club P1's on (bought for the r30)

engine has just had the minor things done

splitfire 8.8mm deulcore leads and splitfire V's plugs, cut the lid off the air box and use a hi-flow panel filter!

i have some matching grey set covers just to finish of the look of a tide little car!!

all this makes for a nice daily driver till the r30 is ready

just a friendly reminder to keep general chit chat etc.. out of this thread. Any technical questions etc.. post a new thread.

I thought the idea was maybe to keep the chit chat *in* here so that the generally chatter didn't interfere with proper technical threads or questions?

rsx: looks nice with the buddy clubs .. and the parabolics are a nice touch. I really need some nice covers for mine (even know which I want), but will have to wait another week or so to lash out the $60 for em :P The stock GX/exec seats are a nice shape, just icky feel.

cazz: two GTS and a TI is quite an achievement. Both sound really nice too.. If only I had a spare $12k lying around to buy the one you are selling - they'll only ever go up in value.

Car: BeaconRed over Silver Series 3 Silhouette

Year: 1990

Purchased:: Almost 10 months ago

Km: 224,000km

Cost: $5,000

Best thing about the car: It's everything I need, it's a little bit different, and it's a wonderful car all around. Has given me almost zerio grief since I bought it.

• K&N Panel filter
  • Genie 2.25' Extractors
  • Genie 2.25 Cat back exhaust with 2 Lukey mufflers
  • Lovells Lowered Sports springs (1.5' lower)
  • Nissan SVD 27mm front swaybar
  • Monroe GT Gas shocks
  • W.I.P. Pantera 16x7.5 Alloys
  • Pioneer & Kenwood stereo

I've got fairly but plans for this car, in the next couple of months I'm going to be getting an RB25 head for the 3 litre block, and doing a twin cam conversion. Turbo will come later after the rest of the car has had some more work done to it. Plan on fitting some Bilstein shocks to replace the homo Monroes, fitting a Whiteline rear swaybar and getting some adjustible panhard rods. Haven't decided on going 5 stud or not, same for what brakes I plan on using.

Kinda going with the flow at the moment :(

Well.....where do I start.

My car is a 1987 R31 gx. I got it when I was 19 (almost 7 years ago!)

As it sits it has an R32 RB26dett stock with reco turbos with steel wheels and 360 degree bearings, 3 inch exhaust, twin pod filters and tomei cam wheels.

box is just an r31 5 speed for now. diff is a 3.77:1 borg warner with a 351 falcon 4 pinion lsd centre.

Suspension is Pedders springs and struts, whiteline sway bars and full nolothane bushing.

BRakes are R33 gts-t calipers and slotted rotors. wheels are 17x7 speedy Mystique 2 rins.

Body is mainly stock just re-sprayed in white with blue bearl overlay. bonnet vents and home made front bar. Engine bay is beaten smooth, seam welded and painted like the body with a few extra coats of pearl.

before the cam wheels she made 216rwkw at 16 psi on the race pace dyno.

Future mods......sort out my current dramas with oil falling out of the engine!! and a beter gear box.

I got my skyline 3 days ago

The car is a 1990 Series 3 R31 Executive, Silver in colour

it cost me 2K, needs a little work but an ausum buy either way

It's done about 185K on the clock, but has service history from day 1

I have some short term plans for the car and that is installing the system, changing the exhaust, exhtractors and a K&N air filter

If we keep the car long enoth ill consider respraying it, lowering, rims, and some nice components in the interior

So far the car is deadly stock except for the exhaust and silhulette steering wheel.

The car is used daily to go to work, but i will costomise it a little in the time that i own it

Car: Pintara GLi Wagon

Year: 1989

Purchased: Dec 30 2003

Kms: 340,000 (engine has 240k)

Cost: $2500

Mods: (when I bought it) Has the original engine from GTS2 #158, Silo front spoiler, random Nissan mags, red pinstriping, bottom half painted gray, Skyline driving lights and grille, chopped rear springs, dark tint, mild stereo, spotties :mad:

(since I've had it) All new suspension, properly lowered, Ti mags, Silo interior, N13 Pulsar SSS steering wheel (I was told it was from a HR31, but looks the same as a SSS one and different from the HR31 steering wheels I've seen), Silo sticker :(.

(soon to come) Manual conversion in the next few weeks (auto is stuffed), exhaust after that (only got GTS2 extractors)...then dunno, weld the diff, wait till it breaks then get a minispool, RB20 maybe..not sure if it's worth doing to this particular car.

i think i'm going to go for a S3 front on mine.. somebody has some headlights for $100, i already have an import s3 bar i've noticed, and my bonnet has been bogged up anyhow so why not.. Might paint the s3 bonnet in black to give a different look. I saw a jap HR31 with it and looked pretty nice.

The s1 front just makes mine look early 80's .. rather than late 80's :D

• 2 weeks later...

Car: Skyline Silhouette

Purchased: Near on 18 months at a guess

Kms: 257,000

Cost: $5000

Mods: Turbo conversion on NA motor, stock turbo and boost, Lowered on whiteline springs, monroe (ewww) shocks, nolathane bushes up front (soon to do the rear), 2 1/4" cat-back(soon to be 3"), 3" dump and highflow cat, RB74

pads up front.

Love this car for many reasons and hate it for others lol :) Needs some serious money pumped into it now, new clutch (exedy HD) coming in the next week, 3" single piece tailshaft, LSD needs to be rebuilt, new bushes through the rear, new engine mounts and gearbox mounts, either import struts or coilovers all round with 4 pots and larger rotors, and cant forget the FMIC. And the list grows larger :)

Car: White over Silver Series 3 Silhouette

Purchased: About 2 years ago

Km: 330 300km's on the car and 90 000km's on the RB20DET

Cost: $5,000 spent 10K+ on it now

Best thing about the car: It's got a RB20DET :aroused:

It has lots of shit hanging off it :headspin: It has 217rwhp at 11psi boost wich is nothing for this turbo so once it's at 20psi it should do 300rwhp+ :headspin:

Still goes hard at present level.

MODIFICATIONS:

Import Projector lights

Import GTS grille

GTS-X front struts/caliper's and rotors

Lovells lowered springs

Whiteline front and rear sway bars

Nolathane bushes throughout front and rear

Strut braces front and rear

Silver top RB20DET

Apexi Power FC and hand controller

HKS GT2535 turbo

Stainless steel exhaust manifold

R33 GTR injectors

Catch can

Nismo adjustable fuel regulator

Bosch 040 fuel pump

Z32 AFM

A'PEXI Duel Funnal pod

R32 GTR intercooler and 2.5inch stainless piping

GReddy Type S BOV

Works Auto 3inch dump pipe

3inch mild steel mandral bent zorst with Bazooka muffler

EXtreme ceramic 6puck 2500 pound clutch

Autometer boost gauge

HKS turbo timer

3.9 ratio LSD diff

Volk Racing Evolution rims 17x8,235/45/17 tyres and 17x9,255/40/17 tyres

Greddy Profec B EBC

THING'S TO DO:

Put on GTS2 front bumper

Nismo fly wheel

Respray the silver and the rest of it white but keep the black strip

Rebuild the L.S.D

HYPER31%20side.jpg

Might as well add meself in

Car: White Series3 GX

Year: '89

Purchased: 2 years ago

Km: just on 198,000km

Cost: 5500

Box: Manual ;)

^^^might seem like a lot for a GX but for the condition it is in very much worth it

Mods: not much Cd player thats about it, and replaced original poxy gearknob. Previous owners color coded the body and its already got Ti mags.

Car: Nissan Pintara GX

Purchased: 7mths ago

Mods:

"silvertop" ECCS rb20det

Rb25 5spd manual Gearbox

Detroit Lock Diff

Koni Front and Rear adjustable suspension

Wolf 3d V.3 EMC + hand controller

Supra FMIC

Lowered King Springs

15" Watanabe RS8 deep dish rims with Falken Thread

S1 Passage taillights

S3 hood, Grill, filler panel front and rear bumpers

Gts-x Parabolic Headlights

GT Autospoiler

3" mandrel bent stainless steel exaust

Greddy/Trust turbo timer

Apexi boost gauge

Electric mirrors and switch

Passage front bucket seats

Passage rear seats

no stereo

Parts purchased waiting to be fitted:

Highflow VG30 (from vg30det) BB turbo with replaced steel wheels

Import front struts, hubs, springs, discs, calipers etc...

Import front bumper (side intercooler vent variant)

new filler panel

Future Mods:

Hybrid 600x300x76 fmic

completely redone 2 3/4 piping

new Pod filter and piping.

turbo fitted

550cc low impendance top-fed injectors

bosche 044 rated 550hp fuel pump

r32 GTR cams

HKS cam gears

HKS 2535 turbo

HKS SSQ BOV

Apexi AVC-R boost controller

Import "gts" (embossed) grill

Gts2 rear bumper and rio

Front and rear strut braces

New final rear muffler

R32 GTR brakes

Os Geiken twin plate clutch

Oil cooler

Oil Catch can

Power Steering

Battery moved to trunk

r31 house front lip (from r31 house drift car)

r31 house side skirts

gts-r rear spoiler (1 month away, yay)

I think that's it. None of the future mods are in order, but I know what I want :uh-huh:

some oldish pics

.75degreessideways20040831112232pslfile1.jpg

.75degreessideways20040831111904pslfile1.jpg

.75degreessideways20040831111503pslfile1.jpg