SAU Community

Aussie R31 discussion...

predator

G'day me name is Daniel I have a 1989 GTS2 Skyline Ive had it for 5 months its a gem. The car had been debadged but been getting stickers for it a middle aged couple use to own it its been well looked after. Very nice car to drive only thing that ive done is a uni filter pod filter. GO THE NISSAN'S

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Car: White Series 2 Ti R31 Skyline

Year: 1988

Purchased: 4months ago

Km: 262000

Box: Auto :(

picked it up for $600 & just needed the auto converter done & some tyres for road worthy :D lol but me being me started playing & doing things that didn't need doing like lowering job by 3" Series 3 tail lamps & front bar zorst & extractors stero install & still going wanting to go manul & twin s/c's after a rebuild being I have two motors now I can rebuild one while still driving/using one for space checks :D

for any of u nuts looking at going to a RB30DET/TT heres some info

ah sorry can't upload the info if u would like it give me your email addy & I will send it to you its just over 1 meg worth of stuff :burnout:

• 2 weeks later...
2535? What U mean by that.

She put out 234rwkw at the melbourne auto salon with the engine totally stock.

As for any more pics...Unfortunately I dont have any on the computer.

:boobs:  :boobs:  :boobs:  :boobs:   :whackit:  :whackit:  :whackit:  :whackit:

your HKS gt2535 turbo, how much did it cost you?

i'm currently in the process of dropping a new r32 ECCS rb20det into my baby. My new turbo will be fitted and my new "limited edition" Hybrid 780x300x76 intercooler will be fitted at the same time, piped and tuned. Should be sweet

your HKS gt2535 turbo, how much did it cost you?

i'm currently in the process of dropping a new r32 ECCS rb20det into my baby. My new turbo will be fitted and my new "limited edition" Hybrid 780x300x76 intercooler will be fitted at the same time, piped and tuned. Should be sweet

I dont have a 2535 turbo. The only mods i have are steel wheels instead of ceramic wheels in stock turbos and 360 degree thrust bearings. apart from that all stock.

I dont have a 2535 turbo.  The only mods i have are steel wheels instead of ceramic wheels in stock turbos and 360 degree thrust bearings.  apart from that all stock.

whoops shit, It was R31 Power that had the 2535 turbo. You've got the rb26 conversion. How much did you pick that up for?

Just a bit of a FYI for anybody interested in converting their R31 3L into a 3L turbo using parts off a VL Turbo.. http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/sh...ead.php?t=56630

I would really love to do the turbo conversion in the r31 just to see what happens.. but looks like its going to have to remain the sensible daily driver alternative when the other is being worked on.

good buy mate, did you have any problems fitting the engine. Did you have to make up the custom engine mounts? did you adapt them from the r31/r32? I've just been toying around the idea of getting an rb26dett myself and wouldn't mind a rough estimate of costs involved

No dramas really. The R31 mounts bolt straight up, The R31 clutch bolts onto the RB26 flywheel, the powersteer pump pulley did not quite line up so I did not bother re-fitting it, or the air con, I have no idea if that would fit as I did not try it cos I did not want A/C. The only Major drama was the sump which I had High energy make up and they now have the JIG to remake an RB26 sump for an R31.

The Wiring is fairly straight forward but I decided to make it hard by pulling the whole dashboard out and runing all the wiring behind the firewall and the inner gaurds to hide it all!

It is a great conversion.. Even in stock tune the RB26 is beautifully powered in the lighter R31 shell. It always leaves a smile on my face! :):)

No dramas really.  The R31 mounts bolt straight up, The R31 clutch bolts onto the RB26 flywheel, the powersteer pump pulley did not quite line up so I did not bother re-fitting it, or the air con, I have no idea if that would fit as I did not try it cos I did not want A/C.  The only Major drama was the sump which I had High energy make up and they now have the JIG to remake an RB26 sump for an R31.

The Wiring is fairly straight forward but I decided to make it hard by pulling the whole dashboard out and runing all the wiring behind the firewall and the inner gaurds to hide it all!

It is a great conversion..  Even in stock tune the RB26 is beautifully powered in the lighter R31 shell.  It always leaves a smile on my face!  :)  :D

hmmmm interesting, very interesting. Not as hard as I thought it would it would be. Definately something to consider down the track.

LoL i'm sure it would leave a smile on your face. Dang, i've got a smile on my face and I haven't even seen it.

When my car is back on the road and I buy a shitbox daily driver. I'm keen on the idea of doing a rb24 conversion. So i'm going to be in the market for a rb26 crank, rods, valve springs, cams, 4agze 87mm pistons, and a hks adjustable cam gears over the next 6 months.

Got any pics of you car? besides your sig?

• 3 weeks later...
I just got a VL Turbo for my Series 3 Ti.  I'm gonna make a sleeper out of it, hehehehhe.

Why would you bother???????

You want a good and totally undetectable sleeper?????

Upgrade your own RB30E to GTS2 spec, at 140Kw n/a, it's every bit as good as a VL Turbo with 150Kw.

Just my opinion :ghost:

You want a good and totally undetectable sleeper?????

Upgrade your own RB30E to GTS2 spec, at 140Kw n/a, it's every bit as good as a VL Turbo with 150Kw.

She already has a GTS2, and I can't say I've ever seen a GTS2 pull 140 on a dyno... i'm assuming you're talking at the fly?

Generally we speak in terms of RWKW.

If you stick your car on a dyno, you don't get a readout of kw@fly.

I don't see how sticking a cam/chip/extractors will turn the car into a sleeper.

At a cost of (guesstimate) $1200 to install said cam/chip/extractors, the power gains are minimal. (maybe 10rwkw gain)

Compare this to the cost of doing a turbo conversion, and the turbo conversion should see a gain of around 30 to 40 rwkw, much more cost effective.

Generally we speak in terms of  RWKW.

If you stick your car on a dyno, you don't get a readout of kw@fly.

I don't see how sticking a cam/chip/extractors will turn the car into a sleeper.

At a cost of (guesstimate) $1200 to install said cam/chip/extractors, the power gains are minimal.  (maybe 10rwkw gain)

Compare this to the cost of doing a turbo conversion, and the turbo conversion should see a gain of around 30 to 40 rwkw, much more cost effective.

Just for a start, I never mentioned what "WE" or what forums refer to, and "ALL" horsepower figures quoted by any car/vehicle manufacturer is flywheel and "IS" industry norm, for "RATED HORSEPOWER" to be at the flywheel. I would have thought any dumass would have known that.

As for the sleeper, if you bothered to hunt around the wreckers, oh! correction Auto Parts Recyclers, GTS2 complete set ups can be obtained for under $500.00. And I still can't see the point of even doing a turbo (RB30ET) conversion for a lousy 30Kw.

What's 30 going to do that 10 won't other than light up tyres easier and then it's no longer a sleeper as everyone will know. It will be a marked car.

A sleeper is a bog stock looking gadget that goes quick and how better to have it looking exactly that, under the hood as well, the masses will be daft as to how it goes so well when absolutely everything is looking stock.

How many turbo conversions have you seen "WITHOUT" an intercooler, because with one it's not a sleeper.

Karina, when people talk about power at the wheels, they generally qualify it with "ATW" or "RWKW".

Only a complete moron would think that Ivan was talking about rear wheel kilowatts.

That said, yeah Cazz probably wouldnt see much point in GTS2 specs since she has one already.