SAU Community

R.I.P.:an SAU'er & their R34?

LTSJayce

'Oh to Dream' -

You can forget 'advanced driver training', research shows this can lead to 'over-confidence' in some individuals, it is more suited I'd suggest to specific career drivers:- racing, anti-terrorist drivers, emergency services, - that sort of person.

What you will see in time (and I've said this elsewhere), and from the Commonwealth level - will be a 'National Driver Training Plan', applicable to the States and Territories with an emphasis I suggest on 'Defensive' driving. This will take 3 or so years to develop. The initial discussion take place this December in the ACT. Stay tuned to developments over the period.

The curfew idea is virtually ruled out in NSW for now. Statistically, and for a myriad of other reasons it is just unworkable. NSW is not NZ nor are we a US State, where licensing is historically issued earlier in life. Indeed, NSW will not adopt road safety agenda from jurisdictions with worse per capita crash rates than our own.

As I have done elsewhere, I'll quote this item from the NSW Parliamentary Staysafe Committee. Remember, it is up to *you*, the driver,- to at all times to behave and drive at a safe speed - within your 'license conditions' and having due regard to all prevailing circumstances, including those of the vehicle. This is a serious responsibility, don't ever stuff it up. Okay;-

Note also the Statistics at the bottom. This text now appears online at NSW Parliament website. (Of 1 September 2004).

Mr PAUL GIBSON (Blacktown) [5.05 p.m.]: Tonight, I speak on a topic regarding

young drivers that is the subject of vigorous debate in my electorate, in

the community and also in the media. There is a campaign in place saying

that the State Government should create tougher measures to prevent P-plate

drivers driving at night, carrying passengers or driving vehicles that are

too powerful. The call for restrictions on young drivers relies on research

evidence from the United States, Canada and New Zealand. Unfortunately, the

call relies on rhetoric and emotion. The matter has not been subject to

careful consideration based on a full appreciation of the facts. In

jurisdictions that do have curfews, such as New Zealand and various states

of America, people are able to obtain driving licences at a very young age:

in New Zealand at 15 and in some parts of America at 14. To my knowledge,

there is no country in the world that has a curfew applying to any driver

over 16½ years of age.

In New South Wales our licensing is directed towards the latter years of the

teenage cycle, and people cannot drive on their own in New South Wales until

they receive their first P-plate. To do that a person has to be 17 years of

age. So our system is possibly better than that in New Zealand or in America

to begin with. The experience in New Zealand has been reported fairly

widely. Back in the mid-1980s New Zealand could have been thought of as a

Third World nation as far as road safety was concerned. Even on last year's

figures, just under 500 people died on New Zealand roads; in New South Wales

the figure for the same period was 540. Our population is growing towards

being three times larger than New Zealand, so any way one looks at the facts

of the case, to compare us with New Zealand is really a total nonsense. In

New South Wales we have had 40 years' experience of graduated licensing. We

were the first in the world to bring in such a formal licensing system.

In July 2000 the Staysafe committee recommended that New South Wales

move to a new licensing system. It is now a four-year journey from the time drivers

get their L-plates until they get a fully fledged licence. We had the first

crop of fully fledged drivers in July 2003. It will be interesting to look

at the statistics to see if there has been an improvement. Unfortunately,

the Roads And Traffic Authority is three years behind in collecting the

statistics so we will not have those figures for some time. Tonight I want

to put to bed some of the myths about young drivers. Before I do so I wish

to refer to three studies carried out in New Zealand as follows:

The results from surveys of driving behaviour have consistently shown a

willingness among young drivers to breach the conditions of [ the graduated

driver licensing scheme ] (Begg & Stephenson, 2003)

Over two-thirds of drivers report breaking at least one of the conditions on

a restricted licence (passenger restrictions, night time curfew, or BAC

greater than 0.03) (Begg, Langley, Reeder & Calmers, 1995)

About one third (1/3) of young drivers report breaking the passenger

restriction at least weekly.

About one sixth (1/6) of young drivers report that they break the night time

driving restriction at least weekly. (Frith & Perkins, 1992)

One life lost on the road is one too many. We must aim for zero. However,

the latest statistics from 2001 show that there were 258,561 licence holders

in the 17-year to 20-year age group. Fortunately, there were not hundreds of

young people killed; there were 30. I accept that it is 30 too many, but it

represents 0.01 per cent of all licence holders in that age group. We must

be sensible and look at the statistics. I accept that there are more young

people killed as passengers in cars, but the drivers may have been 40, 45 or

50 years old. We must keep in perspective the fact that according to the

latest Roads and Traffic Authority statistics, of the 258,561 licence

holders aged 17 to 20 years the number of young people killed on our roads

represents 0.01 per cent. Before we talk about curfews, we should properly

examine the statistics and go from there. END

Okay, NSW forum members might like to know that the NSW primary driver training manual, - the "Road Users Handbook" is nearing update completion (it might even hold a new title), I expect it out December 04 or early next year. It has undergone extensive re-working and reflects many Rule changes and has new commonsense advice. I expect a price reduction, and therefore suggest you might like to update your knowledge when it arrives.

JP

Mot Adv-NSW

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well sorry nxtime......but I'm afraid I am sick to death of you young punks driving high powered imports. My sister is lucky to be alive after one of your silvia turbo driving mates ploughed into her car at an intersection. Facts of the accident...highly modified silvia turbo-19 yr old P plater....estimated speed before he hit the picks was 150kph according to police. I am sick to death of turning on the news and seeing these high speed accidents and seeing the remnants of some sort of high powered import or hotted up commodore/falcon. Everyone on here seems to proclaim how they would never do such a thing and to keep it on the track blah blah blah. In a weeks time it will all be forgotten about and you will all be back to your "I own this road attitude". Every time I look in my rear vision mirror and see some sort of jap import (skylines in particular) I always expect something from these punks. If I happen to see a P plate and the driver wearing a cap, I am especially cautious. I am rarely dissapointed. If its not speeding past me or weaving through the traffic or dragging from the lights or speeding throughmain city streets letting everyone know what a blowoff valve sounds like or showing everyone how they like to remove rubber from their tyres whilst at the same time sharing their doof doof with everyone in a 1km radius. I am over you. I dont care if you have small penises and have to prove your manhood. Every time I hear a blow off valve it triggers something inside of me that says "dickhead alert". Plenty of people I know also think this. The number of times I have seen you dickheads flying through city streets at 100kph or more astounds me. I am waiting for the time when they make you do some slammer time for doing 20kph over the limit. It's generally you know it all punks that are the ones that get done at these speeds. I dont care if you get done up the ass in the slammer. I dont care if you and your P plate mates will "be pissed" because you cant drive your 400hp weapon through the streets at warp speeds. Dont tell me that an 18 yr old P plater guy with too much testosterone flowing through his veins is not going to do anything stupid with 400HP. The sooner the government gets you cap wearing little boys out of these high powered cars the better. This may not be the thread to say all this but I dont care....because a lot of the culprits that this is aimed at will be reading this thread.

oohh.. let me add my 2 cents worth..

Firstly, at least us 'little boys' have the decency to respect the deceased and not flame/vent/troll in this thread.

Secondly, i dont know where you are from but over here in Sydney, i see more to$$ers in commodores and utes (actually i wont generalise but lets say they're not p platers but so called 'mature adults') tailgate other drivers and act just as equally if not more of an idiot than those mentioned in your thread.

Reality check, these 'hoons' are not limited only to p platers nor imports.

Thirdly, p plater restrictions wont do jack for a whole list of reasons in which i wont even go through. If a 'hoon' wants to act like an idiot and break the law by going XXXkm/h over the speed limit, a power restriction would not stop them. They will either just remove the p plates, ignore the restriction, get an exemption(easily done) or find another car which is legally under the limit but is modded up its a$$. Look at Vic and their restrictions, i lost count at how many p platers still own/drive their high powered imports =)

sorry to shatter your dreams but its not going to happen.

btw, lol @ "p plater and wearing a cap"... cap? you serious? i rest my case...

It's simple people. A car alone is NOT dangerous. It's various metals/plastic/fabric/rubber/etc... wacked together. Alone is just sits there and does sh*t. It doesn' kill.

A car WITH a human being becomes dangerous.

The level of danger depends on the ATTITUDE of the human being, controlling the car.

Now, here's a tricky one for some people.

Bad attitude driver behind the wheel of ANY car is dangerous. Yes, including an Echo and them 1 cylinder Russian cars which starts up with the thump of a hammer. Sorry to say, but even mum and dad's commodore or falcon.

Sorry to say but I see more c0ckmasters behind 4WD's with their "I'm bigger than you" attidude.

Rest In Peace. Condolences to the family and especially to the father, whose passion, dedication, money and time became the cause of death of his son.

I had a thought - it might happen to me. I too drive safely most of the time but sometimes give it a boot. I too respect my car and other drivers but on the other hand love the speed.

Stay safe people.

Well, NSW will b eon the hit list now, WRX in Sydney wrapped around a tree this morning...car split in two!:P I heaer the 30yr old driver was in hospital, dont know his condition other then that the car looked very sick

Roy, you just beat me to it, as I was going to say the same thing about the WRX. All I want to say is that we need to take care on the roads, regardless if you think your a fantastic driver. The roads are shared by many people and we need to look out not just for ourselfves but others as well, please becareful and have a safe Xmas.

Cheers AS.

Well, NSW will b eon the hit list now,  WRX in Sydney wrapped around a tree this morning...car split in two!:P    I heaer the 30yr old driver was in hospital, dont know his condition other then that the car looked very sick

Again?? Wednesday night some young guys driving a WRX crashed their car into a ditch (it rolled and landed on its roof). They luckily survived and were taken to hospital

R.I.P.

unfortunately if you make an idiotic decision the results of that split second decision wether or not to put your foot down can kill. :(

But, why is everyone arguing in this thread, about how to prevent these sort of fatalities? :P

Can't you start another one? :headspin:

of course. but part of learning is examining the issues in detail, no matter how grotesque. asking everyone to "shutup and pay their respects" achieves nothing, properly understanding and interpreting the reasons behind what happened is much more productive.

And thats fair enough alexcs, but start your own thread and you can discuss/accuse/bitch whatever you want to call it as much as u like. This thread was started for 1 reason to pay respects to the dead and offer condolences to family and friends. Please every1 show enough respect for the family and keep this thread simply for its intended reason.

Rip