SAU Community

Faq: Apexi Powerfc - Frequently Asked Questions

paulr33

well the H/C gives strange readings, sometimes I'll be at say 1/2 throttle doing 100kmh accelerating to overtake someone and it will knock its head off, Ive had readings up around 160, but more commonly get between 60 and 90. But theres no audible knock from the car ever, It runs smooth and perfect.

Pretty sure we were logging advanced Knock on the datalogit and it was hitting 30 at the most when we were doing that. And that was doing some high load runs in 4th, a full run through 2nd gear and some playing around in 5th where id noticed some knock levels. Nothing to be worried about in datalogit but the HC quite often logs worrying numbers.

He seems to think the tune is fine and the HC might be funky, so I've decided to take it out for now, thinking about borrowing another HC and seeing if it makes a difference.

Hope that info will give you a basic idea of whats going on :D

EDIT: Sorry there was 2 cells that were registering around 44 Knock (advanced Knock) on datalogit which were touched up, now register below 30, but they were the largest readings that I can remember

Edited by 89CAL

johnoo is bang on

but also

when you are viewing hand controller knock is it on the street or dyno

and likewise with datalogit, is on the street or dyno

i found everytime cars knock differently on street with the owner driving them vs the dyno and dyno operator

i think this is because the owner drives it differently to the dyno simulator and also the owner usually changes gears differently slightly etc

so are they both in the same identical conditions??

Yeah same conditions. I've observed the HC readings since it got tuned an know roughly the points it knocks. So we plugged the datalogit in and did the same sort of runs. Slowly accelerating from 60-80 in 5th usually seems to do it so we tried that as well as doing some 4th gear runs and 2nd gear runs throughout most of the rev range. Even went up some hills while doing 1 or 2 high load runs.

The car runs great and like i said I've never heard it detonate even when I've got really high readings above 100. I'd like to do some more logging with datalogit on the weeked just to see if there's any knock to double check. But ATM I'm thinking either HC has issues or maybe my knock sensors are faulty.

But to answer your original question yes both occasions were on the street lol

What do you think? Youre the best person to ask I figure, yur knowledge of the power FC far exceeds mine :D

EDIT: sorry forgot to say. I usually log speed, revs, knock and wtr temp on the HC. when I play around next time I'll try just logging knock

Edited by 89CAL

yes try just logging one thing instead of lots of things

there is no logical reason hand controller would see knock differently to datalogit

and make sure you arent using both at the same time as its a shared bus

• 2 weeks later...

Hoping for some help on this one. I have an AP engineering Power FC for my R32 with RB20DET. I've had the Power FC for approximately 12 months and haven't had any trouble with it, until today. Upon driving on very light throttle the exhaust overheating light flashed once for about 1 second. So i thought i would check the peak values on the hand controller (i keep it out of site) and i discovered that the hand controller is stuck on the Apexi logo? The last time i checked it, a track day last week, it was working fine. Now it obviously still has it's tune because the car is running fine even with the Z32 AFM, 555cc Nismo injectors etc. Has anyone heard of this happening, is it possible that my hand controller is fried?

Thanks Paul. I'll do some more logging and see how i go

to properly test it make sure you log only advanced with the datalogit (no basic, aux, sensors or any of that stuff) without the hand controller plugged in.

Fixed. The plug for the hand controller was loose and only just making contact. I didn't realise the computer had been moved from its original position since having the roll cage and side intrusion bars installed. The unit now resides under the carpet on the passenger side and after taking a passenger on the weekend (a rarity) it must have been knocked loose.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

hi guys i am encountering a problem. i have a rb20det in a 1983 mitsubishi galant (sigma) and i recently changed the stock ecu to the power fc djetro. it was tuned and everything but i am realizing the the rev limit is not saving when the car is switched off . i did a test and set it to 4000rpm on the hand held controller switched off the car, started back and it set back to 8000rpm. any help would be appreciated i went through this post and also through http://paulr33.com/. but i still cant find an answer. i looked at all the wiring diagrams i could google and everything looks like it is wired correct . next question will the tune as well be erased or it is it just the rev limiter . thanks in advance

the powerfc updates the tune in real time, and then when you key off, commits the changes to NVRAM

in the powerfc FAQ there is a section on this exact issue, search in the FAQ for "ECCS" and youll find a section on how to correctly set it up

on your car, as youve done an engine swap, the ECU isn't given enough time when you power the key off, so it doesnt get enough time to save to NVRAM, thus any change is blown away

the ECCS diagram shows you how it should be setup and how it needs to be wired in

Hey man,

Just reading over all the FAQ and so forth.

It says that the AP Engineering Power FC is not sold new anymore and I have an R32 GTS-T...

Is secondhand the only option for me?

James

yep 2nd hand is your only option

you can buy a 2nd hand PFC rb20det version and the new version EL hand controller however

i would do that if you find one without a hand controller

I think I'm gonna go Haltech Platinum Pro...aussie made...aussie tough...newer...more advanced etc etc