SAU Community

Faq: Apexi Powerfc - Frequently Asked Questions

paulr33

Ohhhk I'm going to take back my last comment with regard to Haltech Platinum Pros.

This what my tuner (XSpeed) said about the Haltech Platinum Pro...

"Just don't."

I said "please explain" and he said....

It's a universal ecu that isn't tailored for any particular car with all sorts of tuning issues (cost the last guy $1700 in labour alone to get it working 80% of the time lol)

He went on to say that the measuring parameters of the Hally are far too wide to tune one specific street car effectively and would only really be superior if it was for a dedicated track car where normal reliability issues mean jack shit. He said they've tuned every ecu under the sun and the Haltech PP has returned reliability issues with cold starting, idling, hot starting and O2 sensor issues basically all the stuff you need to work 100% for a daily drive.

He seemed to think the AP Engineering Apexi PowerFC for the RB20DET was the beez neez. Easy to tune, designed to work with the rb20det specifically, excellent reliability.

James

Edited by plan-b

hey guys,

I have just been going through my pfc screens trying to find out whats going on with my o2 sensors and found out they were turned off.

I replaced the sensors and turned it back on but there is another setting (02 sensor reg).

Does this need to be turned on as well.

I have had a look through pfc manual and looks like it may be for the bncr32 and needs to be turned off, but not sure.

The car is a r33 gtr

ok, read whole 40 pages and found this

the 02 sensor as its a RB26 PFC will expect R32/R33 GTR style sensor as you have GTST it wont work correctly

youll either need to run without 02 feedback completely or change your 02 sensor to the GTR style 02 sensor

if you go for NGK BNR32 style 02 sensor you can set "02 registered" in function select to run in BNR32 mode

otherwise get a GTR33 sensor and leave 02 reg off but have 02 feedback on and it should be ok as long as you have the same GTR33 sensor

you can splice up the output from the 02 sensor and run it into both 02 sensor inputs on the RB26 loom to the PFC so both 02-1 and 02-2 have the same value

answer found

thanks for the reply , i am going through all the wiring, making sure everything as you say, i will let you know when i get success

the powerfc updates the tune in real time, and then when you key off, commits the changes to NVRAM

in the powerfc FAQ there is a section on this exact issue, search in the FAQ for "ECCS" and youll find a section on how to correctly set it up

on your car, as youve done an engine swap, the ECU isn't given enough time when you power the key off, so it doesnt get enough time to save to NVRAM, thus any change is blown away

the ECCS diagram shows you how it should be setup and how it needs to be wired in

Edited by Reecewashi

• 1 month later...

I have a R32 gts-t that is running a Power FC, was tuned almost 2 years ago and haven't had any major problems since.

About a month ago I removed the throttle body to fix a coolant leak and ever since then I am getting a lot of idle hunting and sometimes when coming to a stop the car will stall.

This isn't consistent however, it is mostly ok when cold, but even when hot sometimes it isn't issue.

I have cleaned the AAC valve and have played with the TPS(as this is the only thing I can think of that would have been changed when I removed the TB) which currently sits at 0.4v on idle and doesn't move around.

Any suggestions for settings on the PowerFC I can play with to settle this?

Edited by Kwyjibo

there arent any other than DATA INIT to perform self idle

i can only suggest key to ON but dont start car

check TPS is 0.30ish at idle or adjust to make sure its around 0.30v and floor it and it should peak near 4v

the nissans service manual has what value it sould be at idle as i dont think it should be spot on 0.30v so best to check it

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

A friend of mine just recently imported a modded R32 from Japan. Its got some extensive mods and looks like it could put out about 400awkw once tuned...

Unfortunately the ECU was replaced and a stock one is in the car now. Just wondering - is the PFC the best option that's not going to cost an arm and leg?

Other options explored was Motec (too expensive) Haltech (not sure), Link ECU (again dont know anything about them) Nistune, etc...

If there are any con's with the power fc, what will it be?

any feedback much appreciated!

Edited by ironpaw

go read the powerfc faq, it has everything covered already

no known issues with using a powerfc on that car

ask who ever is going to tune it what ECU they prefer

no point going to someone who only tunes vipec's with a powerfc and vice versa

• 2 weeks later...

hi guys,

got an issue with my pfc. its at the tuners at the moment and he cant get it to rev past about 6100rpm. he said he has all the different rev limit settings set at 8k and he also swapped the pfc out for the stock computer and then the car revved fine so obviously somethings going wrong with the pfc.

any ideas?

pete at jaustech. he said hes spoken to a few people about it and no-one has a clue why its doing it. rekon it might be a faulty pfc.

hes sent an email and is waiting to hear back from apexi about it

i assume so. he said hes saved the map so if i did have to get another pfc he could load it straight on.

thanks for the offer steve, ill wait to he back from him again about it anyway.

• 1 month later...

did a search but cant find any thing, im thinking about getting a map sensor to hook up to display boost and peak hold on the hand controller, just wondering if it is possible to hook up a solenoid for boost control, if so any idea's what wires go to the solenoid?

normally its sold in a kit as the PFC boost kit

i have the solenoid i cant remember if i have 100% of the wiring but i don't have the map sensor, was all bought 2nd hand

i since bought a AVCR for electronic boost control

Yeah I know, but all I wanted was the map sensor to display boost, with the wiring you cab get that for $50+pp from the states, then I started wondering if I could hook up my current boost controller solenoid to it and have it work, the solenoid may not work but if know what wire to hook up to it then its worth a try