SAU Community

Thoughts on Tein Coilovers

I have been looking at buying a set of Tein - Super Street coilovers from 'Nengun' they seem extremely cheap at $1170 or even $1607 delivered.

Is there anything I should know about them?, the contents of the package are listed below and seems to be complete...is there anything else i'd need...?

Thx

Lindsay

Contents

- High performance and cost effective.

- 16 levels of damping force adjustment (compression and rebound together).

- Ride height adjustable.

- New paint coating for rust prevention.

- Pillow ball mounts are optional (on certain applications).

- Exclusive design for USA vehicle specifications (only available for the U.S.A Market).

- Available for overhaul.

Contents

- 4 x Adjustable shock absorber

- 4 x Main spring

- 4 x Lower spring seat

- 4 x Seat lock

- 4 x Thrust washer

- 4 x Bump rubber

- 4 x Dust cover

- 2 x Hook spanner

- Instruction manual

Note

- Strut suspension comes with upper spring seat.

- All suspension kits come with upper mounts

Lindsay;

no offence but you should probably add a kidney belt to the list. tein have a reputation - as do many jap susp kits - for being way too hard for Aust roads. i saw a set of teins tested on a shock dyno once and they were terrible.

the search engine is your friend, there has been a lot of discussion on teins in the past. not trying to tell you how to 'suck eggs' but please consider konis or bilstein, people are generally very happy with them.

regards

I have had Tein HAs in my old car. they are very similar to super street. they were 16 level damper adjustable and height adjustable with a tender spring so that height adjustment doesn't compress the main spring.

they were not too bad. on the softest setting were not too hard, but still pretty firm. only thing is one of the rear shock blew the seal after only a few months which I was pissed about. they have quite narrow pistons and can overheat and with a bit of grit on the piston can damage their seals quite easily. thankfully you can now get them rebuilt in aus for around $150. note: I contacted Tein japan about this failure and they do not want to know you unless you bought it from their Aus distributor (access).

on the flip side I now have Bilstein coil-overs in the GTR. I must say I personally rate them higher than the tein coil-overs I had. I'm sure the top level Teins would compare more favourabley, but they are near $4K. Super street are cheap entry level coil-overs and should be judged in that light. for that money they are not too bad but the bilsteins are worth considering. personally I wouldn't go near the konis... all just my opinions though.

I have heard Teins run an extremely stiff ride, plus my car will be fitted with a pair of Fixed back Sparcos which in themselves amplify any road inperfections!....but i'm happy with this as car will only ever be used as a toy, covering around 5000-10000kms per year at best and mainly used in club level competition events or cruizes.

What I was wondering more than anything is they seem extremely cheap, is there anything else i'd need to install and run them in my GTR...from the description they look complete...?

Got quoted a $1000 more to buy these from a local suspension joint exc fitting!

I have heard Teins run an extremely stiff ride, plus my car will be fitted with a pair of Fixed back Sparcos which in themselves amplify any road inperfections!....but i'm happy with this as car will only ever be used as a toy, covering around 5000-10000kms per year at best and mainly used in club level competition events or cruizes.

What I was wondering more than anything is they seem extremely cheap, is there anything else i'd need to install and run them in my GTR...from the description they look complete...?

Got quoted a $1000 more to buy these from a local suspension joint exc fitting!

My 20 cents worth........

They will bolt straight in, Jap mechaincs charge like brain surgeons so they have to be easy to fit.

You will get your ass kicked on the track by other GTR's with more sensible spring rates and better dampening.

And you won't be doing much cruising, more like ass bruising.

Do yourself a favour and check out a set of Bilsteins and Whiteline coils for less cost. In fact spend similar money and get a pair of stabiliser bars and adjustable camber and caster bushes and you will be the one enjoying the ride and kicking some ass.

:)

Tein Super street are probably the softest in their range. I know that for R33 Gts-25t's they are 4kg front and rear. Compared to the HA's which are 7kg/5kg. I have a set of Tein Type Flex's rated 6kg/6kg and they are a bit on the firm side but a nice ride.

Tein's website will have the specs of their coilovers for your car.

They are cheap because Tein have designed these to be an entry level coilover kit.

Happy shopping dude:)

I have Teins on my 33 gtst, yes they are firm, but not as bad as people say.

On some country roads they are a bit too firm, but around town they are good. A big improvement in cornering, but a bit skittish at high speeds on corrugated country roads.

Not sure if I would want them for a drive between Adelaide and Perth (probably true for most sports setups), but I only do a few 1000 kms a year anyway.

Is there a Bilstein absorbers that could fit the A31 Cefiro. Been looking around for so long but there isn't any available in Malaysia or Singapore. Currently on Tein HR, extremely stiff even on normal roads. Pot holes are a no no as it crashes and probably srew up your alignment.

Appreciate if anyone can lead me to getting the Bilstein to match with S-Tech Tein Spring.

Cheers!

I checked out Bilstien adjustable coil overs for my car and quoted $3500 at heersman in Tempe. If I had the cash, yeah I'd get them.

Tien spring rates are too stiff. I don't know why but people try to eliminate body roll with stiff springs and shocks. Simplest way to remove body roll is sways.

i have tein ha's and theyre stiff on the softest setting but not that bad, handles really well and the gtr seats keep butt bruising to a minimum, cant complain. I have tried the stiffest setting and its not cool :)

while were on the subject.......i have tein ha's in my 33 but after an accident....the front left and 1 of the reasr are stuffed, the shock has bent on the rear and the front one the pillowball has snapped off. Any 1 kow where to get them fixed or to find the 2 i need, dont know if i can get them new as its not a set?

I was having a look on the Whiteline site and there coil overs seem quite cheap, I've used whiteline stuff in the past and have been very happy with it.

NISSAN SKYLINE R32 GTR FR

WITH EXTRA GROOVES FOR S/LOW HEIGHT / SKYLINE R32 GTR FR MONOTUBE

Code: #120330

Price: AU$295.45 (Australian Dollars)

NOTE: Australian deliveries must add 10% GST

NISSAN SKYLINE R32 GTR REAR

WITH EXTRA GROOVES FOR S/LOW HEIGHT / SKYLINE R32 GTR RR MONOTUBE

Code: #120340

Price: AU$270.91 (Australian Dollars)

NOTE: Australian deliveries must add 10% GST

R32 GTR Sway bars were $207ea also :O

Anyone has opinion on what brand of absorbers that matches the Tein S-tech springs? Tein coilover were too stiff so I eventually bought the springs and use the standard Paraut absorber. However the front got stuffed really fast (6 months???). Appreaciate some advice.

Anyone has opinion on what brand of absorbers that matches the Tein S-tech springs? Tein coilover were too stiff so I eventually bought the springs and use the standard Paraut absorber. However the front got stuffed really fast (6 months???). Appreaciate some advice.

If the springs rates are as per the above, then Bislteins would be my suggestion.:rofl:

who sells bilestin coilovers in vic...?

also what would i be looking at an adjustable set for an r33?

Give Quadrant Suspension a call. They are located in Berwick from memory

Whitepages will have their number

They can modify or manufacture whatever you need generally, but obviously at a price :P