SAU Community

Bomberman's Rb26debt Build From Dmms Or Better Known As Dazmo

A few of the NSW roundy roundy boys were bagging the product only because i was using and recommending them...only to have their asses handed to them by Vi-PEC powered cars at Superlap. I thought that was very ironic.

Dirtgarage these sort of comments are pointless and don't help your cause. If winning superlap was as easy as buying a Vipec then they certainly are pretty special. You know as well as anybody that the ecu is small part of a fast circuit car.

Your comment is as valid as saying "A few of the NSW roundy roundy boys were bagging the product only because i was using and recommending them...only to have their asses handed to them by turbosmart fuel reg equipped cars at Superlap."

Sorry Bomberman, car is panning out very nicely. Back on topic.

Edited by nfi
  • Like 1

just to clear one thing up, I only mentioned what garth told me paul AFTER you brought it up in here. I would never have mentioned it in here otherwise, but you came in here and posted about them using vipec. I do and did believe you, I was just relaying what the driver (tuner?) of the car said, and he told me that part of the cars success came from the time he spent tuning the centre diff maps in the motec. apparently it has maps for the AWD split and can be infinitely tuned based on a whole bunch of parameters. so he can set up how much front drive he wants under 0 throttle, braking conditions with road speed say above 100kph, and a diffferent one with the same conditions but with road speed below 100kph, and he can set up another split with say, TPS above 50% and a certain amount of steering angle on (ie post apex cornering) and another one for 100% throttle and low steering angle up to say 100kph, and then have it back to rwd above a certain speed etc. maybe he has got it wrong and the vipec can do all that stuff? if so that is very impressive.

I had the car in the studio last week and had the opportunity to go right over it. It most definitely had the V88 in it in the same location as Paul has posted and it also had the MoTeC dash where you'd expect it. Could it be that the car also has the MoTeC EVO differential controller as well? I must admit I didn't look at it that closely. I can tell you that most of the guys at work spent far too much time in the studio that day though :blink:

That would be what I would have expected that it runs the motec diff controller and as Richard stated and was personally told by the owner that the majority of the extra performance came from the tuning of the maps for the diff controll via the MOTEC diff controller and from what the owner/driver stated it seems that a lot of time and effort went into this process. So it seems the extra performance would have a lot more to do with this and a lot less to do with the fact the car runs a Vipec ecu. When making generalized statements about how much better a particular cars performance is due to changes made it would be a lot more informative to give the whole story and not just the part that suits a particular point of view. Not having a go at anyone but just stateing that by not giving the full story people may be led to make assumptions that are not based on all the facts.

dazmo has it. I was only relaying the fact that garth told me the gains in time that were made were from setting up the different centre diff control maps in the motec. he didn't say anything about the vipec so I don't know if it helped or not, but when he was talking about improving the car he talked about the sus setup and the motec diff set-up. anyway i've made far too big a deal about it now, and I didn't doubt the truth that there was a vipec in there somewhere too. so I will shut up I promise. for all I really know he has a motec in there for the power windows and subwoofer bass map control and the vipec is running the ac and dual screen TV set-up and the actual engine is using points igntion and a dirty big carb with a blow through turbo set-up.

besides all that nonsense I would reckon the biggest factor in the cars pace would be the nut behind the wheel. garth is a bloody handy driver and could probably place well at superlap in a billy kart. and having his help setting up the suspension and the motec maps for the diff wouldn't hurt.

now back to atomic bummerman's RB26. need more amazing pics. specially the daz pics. but no wanger pics please. still scarred from the ones you pmd me daz.

wanger pics? Care to elaborate?

Or maybe it's better to just pretend it never happened.......... :(

I thought this was meant to be a build thread, in a car forum of all places. Christ Chris, at this rate it'll take as long to post all the info as it's actually taken to build the thing :)

I run an HKS 2.8 kit also, the problem is not with the kit but rather the particular crank shown in the picture. I had the same crank supplied to me once (perhaps the exact same one?). The crank had excessive balance drilling on arrival and the oil galleries didn't line up with the oil grooves for the bearings. The mis-match was too far out for my builder's liking. See pic below:

gallery_705_63_77107.jpg

Upon checking with HKS Japan, it was found that it wasn't an HKS crank. In fact they have never heard of the "HKSA" stamp. Below is the picture of the crank I was first sold (HKSA) against the genuine HKS Step 2 crank I installed:

gallery_705_63_577722.jpg

And a close-up of the stamps:

gallery_705_63_537696.jpg

Somebody posted earlier that the HKSA crank may have been the old 2.4L stroker crank for the RB20? Well looks like thats what it is based on this yahoo auction.

http://page2.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/b101870199

gabins5812-img600x450-1246175807hznklq98231.jpg

gabins5812-img600x450-1246175807bb3w0q98231.jpg

Somebody posted earlier that the HKSA crank may have been the old 2.4L stroker crank for the RB20? Well looks like thats what it is based on this yahoo auction.

http://page2.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/b101870199

gabins5812-img600x450-1246175807hznklq98231.jpg

gabins5812-img600x450-1246175807bb3w0q98231.jpg

Good detective work!

It troubles me, however, that the claimed stroke length is a weird length at 76mm (RB26 std = 73.7, HKS2.8 = 77.7).

Why would HKS go to the trouble making a special crank when a kit can be made up using a standard RB26 crank? I remember you need to "relieve" the bottom lip of the bore slightly for the standard RB26 rods to clear, but this is an easy and straightforward job for the engine builder to do.

It would be interesting also to see if they used the special Tomei pistons or 4AGZE items.

Dont forget that these kits were probably floating around when there was no RB25, the RB26 was very exotic, or perhaps even ates back to R31s when there were not RB26s. Have not seen them for sale for a few years, the last kit was in 2004 when i first moved to Melb and there was a HKS 2.4L kit for the RB20 on yahoo. Used its own pistons.

Dont forget that these kits were probably floating around when there was no RB25, the RB26 was very exotic, or perhaps even ates back to R31s when there were not RB26s. Have not seen them for sale for a few years, the last kit was in 2004 when i first moved to Melb and there was a HKS 2.4L kit for the RB20 on yahoo. Used its own pistons.

Thanks - puts to bed a long running saga.

• 2 weeks later...

NOTE:

You may have noticed this thread has been moved.

SAU Admin have decided to run a new section for "Projects, Overhauls and Build-ups"

As such your thread is a prime example of what we wanted to house in this section.

We have left links in the sections you originally posted also to allow easy access to the threads new home.

Any issues, please feel free to pm myself or N1GTR.

Cheers Col

Ok, status update. Got up to the stage where we can put on the Nismo plenum. But when we were putting it on, we noticed that some of the locator dowels were missing. Unfortunately these are part of the Throttle body assemblies and therefore cannot be ordered separately! Anyway, whilst dazza was thinking about what to do, we continued with the baffles on the bottom of the girdle.

DSC02837.jpg

DSC02838.jpg

All the hoses and brackets etc needed to bolted up to the plenum. I used mostly new parts for this as most of the hoses and clamps etc were starting to deteriorate (very hard etc and clamps were rusty)

The new throttle body bracket and throttle position sensor fitted

DSC02870.jpg

New water tube and hoses.

DSC02866.jpg

Dazza went to all the hardware and nut and bolt shops and couldnt find a locator dowel to match. His brilliance once again shines when he uses the sleeve off a dynabolt (cut down to size of course) and viola! PERFECT fit! Project bomberman back on track!

Attaching the hoses to the pipes and tubes.

DSC02876.jpg

On with the plenum!

DSC02877.jpg

DSC02878-2.jpg

Attach the throttle body arms

DSC04070.jpg

Bare blocks dont have this little fitting either.

DSC04113.jpg

New hoses and clamps for the underside of plenum

DSC02864-1.jpg

AAC valve fitted and new hoses and clamps where possible. Some of the Clamps and hoses were reused because some of them were not in production anymore!

DSC04052-1.jpg

knock sensors fitted as well.

DSC04209.jpg

DSC04114.jpg

More hoses! Majority of these were changed for new ones.

DSC04216.jpg

Water and air temp sensors were fitted. The gasket kit provides a new copper gasket for the air temp

DSC04200.jpg

all holes were covered with silicone plugs and sleeves throughout the build.

DSC04199.jpg

Make sure you put on the slinger plate (not sure what its called) first. Thats what they called it on the FAST cd!

DSC04204.jpg

The sensors installed

DSC04207.jpg

At this stage of the build, I was overseas, so there weren't many pictures taken whilst dazza did the work. The extended pickup was fitted and the sump went on, with Hi Octane sump extension.

DSC04220.jpg

DSC04046.jpg

DSC04080.jpg

We will get new nuts and bolts to secure this part of the sump as the standard ones were not suitable.

DSC04077.jpg

I also had a -12 fitting welded on to the side of the extension for an oil return.

DSC04072.jpg

Edited by AtomicBomberMan

Turbo housings, HKS exhaust manifolds, and Tomei dumps are back from being ceramic coated. They were done by Competition coatings. The Black coating is quite expensive (and comes off if you sneeze at it!) but is supposed meant to retain heat better. Up to 30% reduction in underbonnet temps! Sceptical though...... but we'll see........

All of these parts were ceramic coated inside and out. Yes i asked the question if it can flake off....... "no possible damage" was the answer.....

DSC02742.jpg

DSC02751.jpg

DSC04044.jpg

Turbo housings, HKS exhaust manifolds, and Tomei dumps are back from being ceramic coated. They were done by Competition coatings. The Black coating is quite expensive (and comes off if you sneeze at it!) but is supposed meant to retain heat better. Up to 30% reduction in underbonnet temps! Sceptical though...... but we'll see........

All of these parts were ceramic coated inside and out. Yes i asked the question if it can flake off....... "no possible damage" was the answer.....

DSC02742.jpg

DSC02751.jpg

DSC04044.jpg

its worth it...you will make more power.