SAU Community

[Closed] Borg Warner Efr Series Turbos

Lithium

Sub boy. Have you ran your car down the 1/4 at all?

Nah, not a big drag racing fan......oh and I'd prob write the gearbox off! (Maybe when I get a sequential ;) )

Was bad enough on the last fun day around the track when it lunched the front diff :)

Edited by Sub Boy32

^ I kinda agree with that. The 0.92A/R housing would just bee too restrictive for such a high revving 'large' motor.

I am personally going to go a 1.05A/R as well, but have also been considering a 1.45A/R. It would be only slightly laggier but I can run the turbo to the edge with no back pressure issues. My engine is only 2.2L.

The 0.92A/R is great on the RB26 (Geoff runs on on his R14) but it is a little too small on my RB30.

Having said that, I've got amazing response and more than enough power for a street car.... :)

It was a bit of a guess when I ordered the turbo, they hadn't even made production then, and no one had used one on a straight six let alone an RB, it took 9.5months from when I ordered it to when it arrived......and it is numbered #13. Haha

• 4 weeks later...

The 0.92A/R is great on the RB26 (Geoff runs on on his R14) but it is a little too small on my RB30.

Having said that, I've got amazing response and more than enough power for a street car.... :)

Lately I've been impressed with some outstanding results with the IWG EFR turbos... I know there has been some doubt and questions about their functionality compared to an EWG -- but all along, BW engineers told me there isnt a big increase in exh flow from the 0.92 to the 1.05 and that we just needed more WG clamping force. I thought they were crazy bc the 1.05's consistently made more boost and consequently more power. However once we started using BW 'higher boost' actuators and Turbosmart's 26psi IWG we saw the boost acting like an EWG with significant gains due to the stiffer WG spring keeping that flapper shut. Most people do not log Exhaust Backpressure and Turbospeed which makes it difficult to assess from far away, but at this point I can confidently say the 0.92 turbos will make more power and more bosot if you ran the 26psi turbosmart IWG or the new efr actuator

fyi - 0.92 a/r and 8374 IWG on a built evoX here: http://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-x-dyno-results/702560-2012-gsr-round-3-efr-8374-iwg-711whp-486wtq.html

Lately I've been impressed with some outstanding results with the IWG EFR turbos... I know there has been some doubt and questions about their functionality compared to an EWG -- but all along, BW engineers told me there isnt a big increase in exh flow from the 0.92 to the 1.05 and that we just needed more WG clamping force. I thought they were crazy bc the 1.05's consistently made more boost and consequently more power. However once we started using BW 'higher boost' actuators and Turbosmart's 26psi IWG we saw the boost acting like an EWG with significant gains due to the stiffer WG spring keeping that flapper shut. Most people do not log Exhaust Backpressure and Turbospeed which makes it difficult to assess from far away, but at this point I can confidently say the 0.92 turbos will make more power and more bosot if you ran the 26psi turbosmart IWG or the new efr actuator

fyi - 0.92 a/r and 8374 IWG on a built evoX here: http://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-x-dyno-results/702560-2012-gsr-round-3-efr-8374-iwg-711whp-486wtq.html

darng it! Maybe I should've went with the IWG then lol.. well.. i could always try to swap my actual FR EWG mani + 83/74 for the IWG lol

With that said, I think I will be able to offer a fair and interesting comparaison between the 83/74 and PTE 6266 DBB Gen2. Both rated 800hp. same dyno, same tuner, same haltech ecu. same ''built'' rb26 ( we're both on 86.5mm), same exhaust size basicly. Difference beeing mostly the cam ( 250 9.15mm Vs 260 8.9 ) and the turbos.

darng it! Maybe I should've went with the IWG then lol.. well.. i could always try to swap my actual FR EWG mani + 83/74 for the IWG lol

With that said, I think I will be able to offer a fair and interesting comparaison between the 83/74 and PTE 6266 DBB Gen2. Both rated 800hp. same dyno, same tuner, same haltech ecu. same ''built'' rb26 ( we're both on 86.5mm), same exhaust size basicly. Difference beeing mostly the cam ( 250 9.15mm Vs 260 8.9 ) and the turbos.

Yup! just gotta make it run now right? What's the hold up!

Edited by NismoSTune

We will see, I'm pulling the turbo and the manifold off this weekend as the T4 gasket has blown, so I'm going to get a couple of bosses welded on the manifold to test where the Exhaust Backpressure issue is coming from, I have the Turbospeed sensor, and before Full-Race had a Turbospeed conversion module we made one here, it is showing that I'm close to over speeding the turbo as it is. In fairness I can't be 100% how accurate it is (will get a Full-Race one to be sure) but pretty sure it's right.

Is there an even harder BW hard wastegate spring now? As that Forge one is garbage.....

The will be a very interesting comparison! You have the 250s, I assume? Assuming similar turbine housings I'm going to lean towards the 6266 making the bigger numbers with a touch more lag

Geoff. The 8374 and the 9180, are they the same size housings with different sized wheels?

Have you got a side by side comparison? A 8374 is a bloody huge turbo, physically speaking.

• Like 1

Come on lads - google knows everything :P

EFR7670, EFR8374, EFR9180:

post-11136-0-41395300-1416775998_thumb.jpg

EFR8374 dimensions:

borgwarner-efr-8374-cad.jpg

EFR9180 dimensions etc:
EFR_9180_179394.png

What is interesting is they don't say how big the compressor cover is "across" - but it looks bigger, though the 9180 also seems shorter... if anything. Odd.

Has anyone done a BW vs Precision comparison yet? Im speaking the 1000hp+ turbos. Ive been hearing alot of good things about these new Borg's i might get one.

Edited by Tyranus

Has anyone done a BW vs Precision comparison yet? Im speaking the 1000hp+ turbos. Ive been hearing alot of good things about these new Borg's i might get one.

If you want 1000+hp with EFR turbos -- go twins. twin 7163's is an impressive combination... literally off-the-shelf indycar turbos

If you want 1000+hp with single turbo, then look at the airwerks turbos. keep in mind it can not spool or respond like the small EFR's

Is there an even harder BW hard wastegate spring now? As that Forge one is garbage.....

yes, had it on display at SEMA - 43psi rated. The forge is not great, but is very popular. I think the turbosmart is a much better actuator and the ability to run 3 springs identically to their EWG is a nice feature.

Geoff. The 8374 and the 9180, are they the same size housings with different sized wheels?

Have you got a side by side comparison? A 8374 is a bloody huge turbo, physically speaking.

side by side and externally EFR8374 and EFR9180 turbos are 100% identical. The only difference is the diameter of the rotor pair (wheels) and the machining to suit. They are plug and play for each other, which 8374 are you trying to fit and to what engine?

Borg Warner website also shows they use they same turbo frame size..

correct

Edited by Full-Race Geoff

If you want 1000+hp with EFR turbos -- go twins. twin 7163's is an impressive combination... literally off-the-shelf indycar turbos

If you want 1000+hp with single turbo, then look at the airwerks turbos. keep in mind it can not spool or respond like the small EFR's

What about a GTX45R? I know ive gone a lil off topic here just looking at getting a turbo set up which will net me 1000hp atw on a 2.8.

What about a GTX45R? I know ive gone a lil off topic here just looking at getting a turbo set up which will net me 1000hp atw on a 2.8.

As this is a thread about Borg Warner EFR turbos, perhaps it is not the best place to ask about the GTX turbos.

In saying that, I agree with what Geoff Said. If you want a NASTY 1000+HP setup, look at some twin EFR7163's. You will have big power, with decent response.