SAU Community

[Closed] Borg Warner Efr Series Turbos

Lithium

You should totally go twin err 6758!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I really should exercise and drink less as well...... Haha!

Nah, can't see me change the turbo in the near future, as much as I'd love to see what the twin's or a 9180 would do on my engine.....I just think it's a bit pointless, it's already scary fast :)

I am getting a EFR speed sensor module and have just had a couple of bosses added to the manifold to plot turbine speed and back pressure, so will let you know what the results are.

It will be intersting to see the results with the speed sensor, considering it's on the side of a 3.0.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I'm close to over speeding it, it will tell me if going to the 1.05a/r housing will be a waste of time or not.

Wow, a lot to absorb in this thread. I saw a couple people posting stock rb25 manifold questions. Appears the EFR 7163 is the sweet spot for power and response I'm looking for. Thoughts on the best turbine housing option since T3 isn't offered? Getting the t25 housing and using a t25 to t3 adapter seems easiest and provides a spacer but I always thought that would be shooting myself in the foot. Choking the motor with such a small turbine inlet. V band .85 housing is closer to a T4 if what I've read is correct which seems too big for the response I'm looking for. Around 400whp, 18 psi / peak torque around 3500 rpm on 92 octane. Similar to what the Subaru on the Perrin website was showing. Any suggestions would be appreciated. If a t3 option is in the works I can wait a little longer. Don't know why the 7064 has a t3 but the 7163 doesn't. So similar in size. Must be more involved than I realize.

The other option if you really like 7163s is to use a twin T3 to twin T4 adapter plate/spacer and a TS T4 housing on the 7163 .

I guess it depends on the physical size of the turbo you prefer and how much top end you want . 7163 is obviously a bit more compact and lighter , and you'd think more linear in its boost characteristics . Geoff Raicer reckons they are the most responsive 500 CHP turbo out there so 400 should be easy if everything else is up to it .

A .

hey guys i am heading to Indianapolis for PRI - will be in the borgwarner booth all week. If you would like to see any photos of anythign in particular feel free to email me and i will send photos back to you. not sure if i can get on the forum or not but i will try

Is anyone running an EFR8374 with 0.92 A/R T4 twin scroll (internal wastegate) on an RB25/26? What sort of power could be made with this turbo, WMI setup and other required supporting mods? I have not been able to find much info about actual results with this turbo.

this is an R34 GTR, stock RB26, drop in tomei poncams, EFR8374 IWG, turbosmart 26psi actuator, E85:

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=889867284373281&set=vb.587452941281385&type=2&theater

Yeah I love it! Power everywhere, 630hp with this much response is plenty for a road car!

I have to agree, 630-650 ultra responsive whp is how i prefer to setup road cars. So often people get caught up in dyno #s and peak power, they forget what its like to enjoy being behind the wheel. I want a car that is "fun to drive" and also very fast. Regardless of what the dyno chart says, if its not driveable and responsive its not fun

the EFR 7163 is the sweet spot for power and response I'm looking for. Thoughts on the best turbine housing option since T3 isn't offered? Getting the t25 housing and using a t25 to t3 adapter seems easiest and provides a spacer but I always thought that would be shooting myself in the foot... V band .85 housing is closer to a T4 if what I've read is correct which seems too big for the response I'm looking for. Around 400whp, 18 psi / peak torque around 3500 rpm on 92 octane.

7163 sounds like it may be a nice choice. Keep in mind all 7163 are 0.85 a/r (the 0.64 a/r did not offer any gains or earlier spool in lab testing). I would suggest to consider a t3 to vband adaptor on the 7163 vband turbo.

92 octane? Which country are you in? I'd probably go with the 7064 if I were you.

7064 is also an excellent turbo, but i think its physical dimensions would not fit the oem RB manifold as easily and compact as the B1-frame 7163

i dont wanna sacrifice ANY response. Im not after top end at all Alex its the midrange & response i seek - id also like to stay lowmount.

Id be happy with 330-350kw max but i just want the most responsive setup with most area under the curve i can. The green starts moving in lower gears at around 3700 that'd be as laggy as id like.. As you know Point to point there isn't much faster than an evo.. I want to keep to that recipe as much as possible with my car as it suits the style of driving i enjoy most.

Mick, it sounds like the twinscroll 7163, bottom mounted is probably what you are looking for. It's formally a 2015 kit according to our schedules and timeframe, but have the manifold and downpipe/midpipe in production if you wanted to do your own piping anyway. feel free to email me [email protected] and i can get back to you next week with more info. Ive had zero time for my own car, sorry to say its literally my daily driver and on a street tune. right after christmas time i will commence the beatings

btw tonba: the 7670 IWG is a little big for Mick_o's power targets, and will fit as a top mounted only

I've seen a couple of tests where the 6258 doesn't really outspool the 6758 despite the smaller wheel and falling off much sooner. IIRC one comparison was on the ART silvia and the other was a Perrin test. Given how fast the 6758 spools it doesnt matter too much, but still, anyone know what the deal is?

on the twin turbos, 6258's earlier spool is more noticeable. Also, on very small displacement engines like 800cc, 1000cc, 1300cc they do not get much benefit from the 6758. I will say for most 4cyl street cars, 6758 far outsells 6258. whereas for twin turbos and rally cars (restricted to 46mm) the 6258 is the way to go

I do know and have before seen dyno plots which don't represent what happens in the real world - at least in terms of response. Might investigate but either way I see no reason in going smaller than a 6758 as a single turbo on something aftermarket

I agree, its really interesting to take an EFR vehicle off a dynojet and drive it on the street. The EFR turbo cars almost always spool significantly faster and make more boost on the road vs on the rollers

I know how hard they can go on SR's (9 sec ets on radials) but havent seen anything on an RB yet

who went 9s on radials with an EFR powered SR?

Edited by Full-Race Geoff

hey guys i am heading to Indianapolis for PRI - will be in the borgwarner booth all week. If you would like to see any photos of anythign in particular feel free to email me and i will send photos back to you. not sure if i can get on the forum or not but i will try

this is an R34 GTR, stock RB26, drop in tomei poncams, EFR8374 IWG, turbosmart 26psi actuator, E85:

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=889867284373281&set=vb.587452941281385&type=2&theater

I have to agree, 630-650 ultra responsive whp is how i prefer to setup road cars. So often people get caught up in dyno #s and peak power, they forget what its like to enjoy being behind the wheel. I want a car that is "fun to drive" and also very fast. Regardless of what the dyno chart says, if its not driveable and responsive its not fun

7163 sounds like it may be a nice choice. Keep in mind all 7163 are 0.85 a/r (the 0.64 a/r did not offer any gains or earlier spool in lab testing). I would suggest to consider a t3 to vband adaptor on the 7163 vband turbo.

7064 is also an excellent turbo, but i think its physical dimensions would not fit the oem RB manifold as easily and compact as the B1-frame 7163

Mick, it sounds like the twinscroll 7163, bottom mounted is probably what you are looking for. It's formally a 2015 kit according to our schedules and timeframe, but have the manifold and downpipe/midpipe in production if you wanted to do your own piping anyway. feel free to email me [email protected] and i can get back to you next week with more info. Ive had zero time for my own car, sorry to say its literally my daily driver and on a street tune. right after christmas time i will commence the beatings

btw tonba: the 7670 IWG is a little big for Mick_o's power targets, and will fit as a top mounted only

on the twin turbos, 6258's earlier spool is more noticeable. Also, on very small displacement engines like 800cc, 1000cc, 1300cc they do not get much benefit from the 6758. I will say for most 4cyl street cars, 6758 far outsells 6258. whereas for twin turbos and rally cars (restricted to 46mm) the 6258 is the way to go

I agree, its really interesting to take an EFR vehicle off a dynojet and drive it on the street. The EFR turbo cars almost always spool significantly faster and make more boost on the road vs on the rollers

Geoff

No one I know has gone 9's with an RB, but I know of one with an SR20VET setup

Also

Tell the BW guys at PRI to make a T3 internal gate 7163 so I can buy it!

Any pics or info possible on the new BW variable geometry turbine housings, and SX-E turbos if they are going to have any of that?

Also a Falcon in Oz did mid/low 9s with an EFR9180.

Tell the BW guys at PRI to make a T3 internal gate 7163 so I can buy it!

7163 with T3 external gate will be on display at PRI. It is a new option that becomes available next year. sales of the T3 internal gate housings were very slow so any future T3 housings are likely to be external gate only

Any pics or info possible on the new BW variable geometry turbine housings, and SX-E turbos if they are going to have any of that?

Also a Falcon in Oz did mid/low 9s with an EFR9180.

Lith - i will be sure to take some photos of all this for you.

• Like 1

7163 with T3 external gate will be on display at PRI. It is a new option that becomes available next year. sales of the T3 internal gate housings were very slow so any future T3 housings are likely to be external gate only

That's a shame, but fair enough

So what's would be the key differences between the 7163 and 7064?

Thanks, man - appreciated :)

On the off chance you see if Garrett have displays of the GTW range that'd be interesting as well, but I know that's probably "out of your way" as such. The more I hear of specifics the less excited about that I am, however.

92 octane? Which country are you in?

I'd probably go with the 7064 if I were you.

I'm in the US. Washington. E85 isn't available in my area.

Thanks for the suggestions. T3 to band sounds like a good fit. Not sure if running TS T3 to T4 would create too much lag, but I'll do a little more research on it before I pull the trigger.

Yep that clearly isn't an EFR, and is a big frame Precision so kinda in no way comparable. Interestingly enough the Falcon running the 9180 ran a slightly quicker time with a similar trap speed, though... which is pretty impressive considering the weight!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fa-9q9VHocQ

Oh yeah of course, the Falcon is better setup for a quicker time - what I was getting at is its still a bigger heavier car with a smaller more responsive turbo and still traps at similar speeds... so for all intents and purposes probably putting out similar power to the PT7175 despite being only a 67mm turbo with response as it's focus!

I have been well impressed with that result for a fair while, now - could argue the guy with PT7175 could pull that turbo off and put the EFR9180 on and have equal or better everything?!