SAU Community

Brake Pads Users Ratings Guide

Had no luck finding information or price on the Alcon brake kit for the R34GTR ?

Damn, jdl-brakes used to list the prices but they've removed all prices for BBK

Maybe contact them, I remember a few years ago I looked into them for fun then counted my savings and it wasn't a smart idea.

I have been able to contact Tunerwarehouse and ADL brakes and have asked them for a price on front and Alcon brake Kits.

Could not get Motorsports web page contact to work ?I might try on my PC later on as this laptop can be a pain on some sites, might be my security sticking its nose in as usual??

I will let you know how I go

Thanks

Edited by TT350GT

On the street the standard brakes were more than enough and I never ran out but as soon as I started doing track work it was cooking the A1 RM's. Especially at Winton.

If you don't intend on doing track days then your factory brakes will be fine. Just stick some high temp fluid in and a pad of your choice. On the street, any half decent pad should do the trick as you'll never get them hot enough to fade.

These are what I now run for reference but are unnecessary for street use.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/AP-Racing-6-Pot-Brake-Kit-NISSAN-SKYLINE-BNR34-GTR-Front-343mm-BLACK-/150754827505?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2319b01cf1

You are right, my local mechanic has been a track bloke all of his life and had just put some Ultima's on the front and says that these are very good for a DD and you could do a couple of short runs but more than that I would need to get something better.

Not really sure how good they are as these Ultima's were just put on before I took the car to Sydney for the build, they had not really bedded in as some protective coating was still on them.

I just like to have everything ready so I know what I want before I really need them.

As Johnny said, for steet driving, a good set of pads on some DBA 4000 rotors and fresh fluid will do the job. If you are seriously running out of brakes with HC+ or similar, you really should think hard about how you drive on the streets :/

Track on the other hand, repeated stops from near and over 200km/h will cook a lot lesser pads. If you don't plan on going to the track, or only a couple of times at most, forget spending big bucks on a Big brake upgrade.

You could ask for the applicable WINMAX pads from GSL rallysport. They would do a pad suitable for your needs too.

I think people tend to always overdo the brakes on skylines.. they're actually quite decent to be honest for ALL street use and some very light track work.. well depends on the track too.

I do not understand why some people go all out on their brakes because they think they're not good enough for the street.

Usually a poor choice of pads, with aged fluid is the main reason for thinking their inadequate.. and if you're into that stance rubbish.. that too.

Thanks for all of your input, it is great to get help from people that have used different brakes.Manufactures tell you what they think will sell their products, you blokes talk from personal experience .

Please understand I am just checking out alternatives for after I have my build and brakes I can use if I decide to do more with the car.I just like to know what my options are.

Spending a lot of $$$$$s on making a car go quick is one thing ,BUT it needs to stop, I would rather have over kill on my brakes than be killed because they are shit, just because I did not spend a few more $s!

Yeah I'm with TT350GT, of all the silly ways in which we modify our cars, brakes are probably the least silly ;)

Back on topic, just running in my new Remsa pads, so far so good. Good initial bite and progressive feel in moderate braking. They are quiet, and quite dusty, as I expected.

Masters of your own doing :whistling:

I remember back in 1958 I had a 34 Ford coupe with a dinky seat in the boot, V8 and flat out between 70/80 miles an hour and it took a while to get there :rolleyes:

But you could not stop it at anything above 50mph without chucking an anchor out on a rope or put your feet on the tyres and being a short arse I could not reach them ( Kane this was the joke :yes: )

Your brakes should be the best thing on your car, but in your car , a willing Sheila is always better because after showing off, you do a lot of parking and your brakes can cool off, even though your pants are on fire :woot:

Yeh, pissed again :action-smiley-069:

• Like 1