SAU Community

Tarmac Rallying Perpetual Thread

Marlin

yeah I think its awesome to see more events to choose from without the cost and time of heading across bass straight. although there are already plenty of choices I Vic so its a shame NSW RMS won't close roads for these types of events.

I actually prefer multiple runs over a long hillclimb rather than different stages, also much easier logistically requiring less crews all over the countryside with jerry cans,

These sure are going to be some amazing events guys and its great to finally have announced these and hear your feedback.

The point is certainly taken regards calendering, but things aren't always as easy as they may seem.

Arguably, Australia's best driving roads are found up and down hills, mountains and ranges, and alpine regions provide the best of the best.

Due to a number of factors there is only a small window of time in which to operate alpine motorsport events and complications include:

- adverse cold weather due to unpredictable weather at such heights in the cool and cold months

- there are also various issues with running closed road motorsport events during summer, including soft alpine road surfaces which de-laminate with ease thanks to high-G loads of semi slick tyres

- high volumes of traffic on popular through roads such as Great Alpine Road during general and school holiday periods

- fire risk thanks to dry road side vegetation in the warmer months before the chill of winter creeps back

- general threat of Code Red fire danger periods which simply do not allow events to occur

- an already busy general motorsport calendar

When researching date options, popular opinion amongst those entrants traveling long distance was that bundling events closely was very much a positive and actually justified the cost and energy of traveling and freight cars from Western Australia, Queensland and even Tasmania.

Please free to ask any questions.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in. Just flew back from a recce down there. It's going to be interesting trying the east coast loop in the traditional direction. Sideling would be mighty slippery in the wet and early morning.

They've cut out quite a few sections in favour of the South Hobart ones. Im kinda wishing they made it 7 days and they ran all of them :D

Anyway car is all ready besides an oil change. Have gone with 6 medium A050s which could be risky if its a completely dry event.

I'll try and post some daily updates this year for those stuck at home

It'll be good to do the Sideling the proper way again though I think the morning run will mean an 'unclench arse cheeks' note might be needed after the flying finish ;)

We're on the boat Friday week.

There needs to be an event on Bogong High Plains Rd between Mt Beauty and Falls Creek. I've been up and down there a number of times in the past always couple of months before winter. It's still ok weather and only the odd car or two on the road. The Great Alpine Rd is too old and shredded up imo.

It'll be good to do the Sideling the proper way again though I think the morning run will mean an 'unclench arse cheeks' note might be needed after the flying finish ;)

We're on the boat Friday week.

soooo sau drinks?

• Like 1

Ill see all you Nissan enthusiasts around te traps.

Service crew again this year with the les walkden rally team.

The new format will be interesting. I'm not to sure its heading down the right road thoe. Proof will be in the pudding.

Looking forward to poatina stu!

See you all there. Heading down Sunday arv, stepping into the Trophy Sweep car, so will be mingling up near the front. Home early for beers though :P

Very much looking forward to doing the traditional course again, albeit in a slightly altered, smoother layout. Sideling in the tradional direction is awesomesauce. Can't wait!

What aren't you sure of Damo?

Hey Liam good to see you are heading down, good luck!

And Damo and Ben, hope you have quiet weeks on the crew side....

Kel and Steve are not off to an awesome start, they blew something, probably a turbo at symonds plains today....long arvo ahead but at least they have a spare.

Hey Liam good to see you are heading down, good luck!And Damo and Ben, hope you have quiet weeks on the crew side....Kel and Steve are not off to an awesome start, they blew something, probably a turbo at symonds plains today....long arvo ahead but at least they have a spare.

Thanks Duncan. Car passed and ready to race. 4 stages tomorrow. The first three look to have easy base times so most should pass. Georgetown has a 3 min base time so will be a competitive stage for most.

post-43341-0-29362300-1430031705_thumb.jpg

Sounds like the jj crew are in for a busy night!