SAU Community

R34 Gtr Prices -price Projections?

Although I do believe prices will continue to fall, at what rate would be anyones guess. it may fall 10% a year, or it may fall 1%.

But another factor to consider is the exchange rates. Primarily, due to our ever slowing economy, it's doing no favours for seeing the yen going back up and beyond 100.

Btw here's my car with its first official shot in the country :(

post-2802-1219563359_thumb.jpg

post-2802-1219563394_thumb.jpg

Although I do believe prices will continue to fall, at what rate would be anyones guess. it may fall 10% a year, or it may fall 1%.

But another factor to consider is the exchange rates. Primarily, due to our ever slowing economy, it's doing no favours for seeing the yen going back up and beyond 100.

Btw here's my car with its first official shot in the country :(

some say the R35 isnt photgenic, but the same cant be said for the R34

Btw here's my car with its first official shot in the country :sleep:

Ooooooh! Sexy time!

+1 for seeing an R35 in Bayside Blue.

Edited by Iron Chef

Btw here's my car with its first official shot in the country :sleep:

Very, very, VERY nice car you have there :P

You're in Sydney? Bring it to a club event!

It was Spring 2002.

The event was the Pickles Prestige Motor Auction being held at Darling Harbour.

A lovely looking Bayside Blue R34 GTR V-Spec was up for sale.

The bidding was not very spirited for this car, but the auctioneers did a good job of talking up its performance capabilities and low Kms. Finally it sold for $72K. Mind you, without being in the market for such a car, and without having looked at the NRMA report and summation, I thought it was very very very cheap.

3/4 of the way through the auction, an announcement was made. The auctioneer paused and said, "Hello, the man who successfully bid for the Skyline GTR has done a runner! So after this car here before me has been sold, we'll present the beautiful blue baby back again for another try; and remember, when you bid, the last bid is legally binding..."

The car sold on the night for $65K.

How prices have changed - or have they not?

Precaution: I haven't the faintest clue as to whether that car was in good condition or not.

I suspect that not many there on the night would have given a grey import any serious consideration.

But to me, it was an interesting item on the agenda; and others thought so too.

Just an interesting bit of trivia and a temporary change from some of the posts above.

Regards,

Terry

BTW the next Pickles Prestige Car Auction is at Fox Studios is on 8/9/08

Iron chef i totally disagree, firstly people asking top dollar for nur specs dont seem to be getting anything near what they are asking and therefore the same car is sitting for sale month by month. They are not old classic cars, and will not hold their value what so ever. The above R34 GTR is a pristine example and i think well worth the 55,000 that is being asked for it. A lot of the wealthier people that are holding R34 GTRs will be looking at selling once they can easily get hold of a new model R35 (my oppinion) which will further surplus the market with R34s.

I was looking at buying one before and considering how much the prices have dropped in the past few years i think ill still wait a while. I think petrol prices are playing a large part in dictating the prices of all these high performance cars. Even when considering to sell my r33 i cant even see a point considering i will only get 20% of whats gone into it.

Well that all depends on what ppl are trying to sell their Nurs for. There's owners who are trying to sell for 90-100k + and then there's others who are selling for very realistic prices. One good example I see on Carsales is an M Spec Nur asking for 73 grand. Although the mileage may be a little high for such a car, it nevertheless represents great value imo.

Try and find a similar car in Japan these days. M Spec Nurs rarely come up for auction.

Oh another point. They are not old classic cars, but will surely become classics in the future due to their very limited production run. M Spec Nurs, only 250 rolled off the production line. If I had the finances, I would try and secure one today as I have absolutely no doubt they will appreciate over time.

Edited by mxfly

Iron Chef - I think the time is right to let everyone know what you also have coming into the country soon...

:rolleyes:

lol I think I can rest easy that the market price of R34 GT-Rs won't be having much of an effect on my car :D

Iron chef i totally disagree, firstly people asking top dollar for nur specs dont seem to be getting anything near what they are asking and therefore the same car is sitting for sale month by month. They are not old classic cars, and will not hold their value what so ever. The above R34 GTR is a pristine example and i think well worth the 55,000 that is being asked for it. A lot of the wealthier people that are holding R34 GTRs will be looking at selling once they can easily get hold of a new model R35 (my oppinion) which will further surplus the market with R34s.

I was looking at buying one before and considering how much the prices have dropped in the past few years i think ill still wait a while. I think petrol prices are playing a large part in dictating the prices of all these high performance cars. Even when considering to sell my r33 i cant even see a point considering i will only get 20% of whats gone into it.

They are not classic cars YET. Last I checked they're getting older every day. Check any limited edition version of a sports car that is more than 15 years old and check the prices, because they don't drop. Google the price of pristine V-Spec II R32s and you'll see what I mean. The earliest R34 GT-Rs are already nearly 10 years old, and like I said before, many jumped up to the R35, but a fair number also chose to move from base model GT-Rs across to Nurs because they know what will be worth more in years to come.

If prices continue to drop here, all well and good - I'll sell them back to Japan...

prices on carsales are 45-110k, and some have been advertised for months, which suggests buyers are not willing to pay these amounts. How prices can fluctuate by 100% seems sellers have unrealistic expectations. It's like 2 houses side by side for sale if 1 sells for 300k, then the price is set at 300k. Prices will have to come down as 34's aint that rare with the exception of NURS, however there are 2 for sale on carsales 1 for 73k another for 99k. Also TT 6 speed supras (yes i know a different car but comparable) can now be bought for under 30k.

I rekon acceptable prices regardless of mods are

R32 - 15-25k

R33 - 25-35k

R34 - 35-50k

As some have said, the cheap crappy cars make it all a bit deceptive.

A good example is the current state of V35's. You can bring in a V35 Coupe for as low as $20k, however on the exact same site, you will find the same car, with similar specs for $10k more. Why, becuase 1 is a genuine good car while the other for some reason or another is crap.

The problem is that at the end of the day, cheap crappy cars, drive the Aus prices down. Regardless of what is happening in Japan.

As much as heaps of people import cars, the vast majority of cars are still bought locally, so local markets dictate pricing.

I think Baron's R34 is a perfect example. An immaculate clean GTR which is probably worth a fair bit more than what he's asking, however with carsales.com.au being flooded with $45k R34 GTR's how can he compete?? Somone who can barley scrape into affording a $45k R34 GTR has no thought for quality and cannot entertain the idea of buying an immaculate R34 GTR for $60k.

You have an interesting point there but i dare to say it a buyers market out there at the moment, specially with the high end import such as R34 GTRs, EVOs and RX7s are harder to sell as the market are smaller and people just wouldnt justify spending that money on a used import. Plus you have market currently flooded with imports and not much demand for them which is i think another reason bringing down the prices.

did anyone mention the SMH article mid august?

"the sun rises again"

"Serious car collectors find gold in cars from Japan"

(sorry you have to pay fairfax $2.20 to read it now)

The early skyline was mentioned and the guy said he thought a couple of other skylines

would attain that "collectible" status in the next 10 years, that means price stability or

even price rises over time. But then he is biased.. will all R34 unmolested be collectible?

I doubt it.

MX5 is one of the most recent appreciating cars - as long as you kept the first model

that came out. I got one of the first in australia. Sold it two years later. If I had perfect

foresight & kept that car in a climate controlled garage from 1989 onwards its increase

in value would probably not cover the cost of the storage, and maintenance, and

insurance.

The sad part about it is even if you are lucky enough to find the right

example of the right year of the right model, and you don't wreck it, modify it, or sell it,

then any future rise will probably just apply as a discount to it its running costs.. and

thats amazing, for a car, but it isn't making you money.

The only thing I've been blessed with $ appreciation on is watches. By some stroke

of luck I got the right model of panerai at the right time, and the right vintage rolex,

both have gone up over 50% over the last 4 years. I couldn't believe it. But the vast

majority of watches (and anything else) do nothing but decline in value!

everyone selling cars is always going to say the values are still high and worth every cent they are asking. those looking to buy will always point to all sorts of factors to support their argument that prices are falling.

R34 GTRs are a little bit unique at the moment. prices cover a huge spread. both in japan and in aus. you can see R34 GTRs in not so good shape under 3mil yen in japan, right up to 2002 Nurs or Mspec Nurs over 6mil yen. and in aus anywhere from mid-high 40s right up to nearly $100K. that is a massive spread of prices in anyones language especially for a car that was only produced for 3 years.

as for my own car, some may think it's too expensive, some may think it's too cheap. but it's hard to judge price of a car without expecting it. things like underbody condition, documentation etc are all important to me and would affect what price I was willing to pay for a car (or if I was will to buy it at all).

yes I do have 9 kids to feed and hopefully selling my 34 will make enough money for me to purchase an ex government troop carrier to put all my kids and wives in the one vehicle for our family holiday to newcastle and back. so the moral is please buy my R34, you don't want my kids to grow up deprived of a trip to see nanna do you? do you?