SAU Community

Hks Japan 2.8 Engine Build

Hey Marko I was looking at going the Tomei Expreme manifolds but my mate at HKS jumped up and down and said to stick with standards match ported and polished.

He had done alot of their top cars including their Drag 33 and said no reason whatsoever to go with anything else and why change something that works!

that is good hear + they will never warp/crack

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Throttle body manifold also getting the port/polish treatment

2010412673.jpg

2010412674.jpg

2010412675.jpg

2010412672.jpg

2010412676.jpg

2010412671.jpg

2010412670.jpg

2010412677.jpg

2010412678.jpg

2010412680.jpg

2010412682.jpg

2010412683.jpg

Engine assembly room kept at constant temperature

2010412685.jpg

More match port/polish

2010412686.jpg

2010412687.jpg

2010412688.jpg

2010412689.jpg

2010412690.jpg

Garret hairdryers -5's and Tomei dumps

2010412691.jpg

2010412692.jpg

2010412693.jpg

2010412694.jpg

2010412694.jpg

2010412695.jpg

2010412696.jpg

2010412697.jpg

2010412698.jpg

Hypetune R26 Racing Plenumn fitment

Had a few dramas with this as you can see standard throttle studs too long but all good in the end!

2010412699.jpg

2010412700.jpg

2010412701.jpg

2010412702.jpg

2010412704.jpg

2010412705.jpg

2010412706.jpg

2010412707.jpg

2010412708.jpg

2010412710.jpg

Cams and cam gears getting dialled in

2010412710.jpg

2010412713.jpg

2010412714.jpg

2010412715.jpg

2010412716.jpg

Ok motor back in the car with uprated and modified Nismo Super Coppertwin Racing clutch good for around 580kw

Also view of Tomei dumps and head oil return.

2010412766.jpg

More later..........

What do the guys at HKS think of you using other Brands eg the Tomei Dumps and things like that.

I cant wait to see this car tearing up our tracks :down:

further to that - what opinion do hks have about garrett turbo's? would be good to hear feedback straight from the horses mouth

btw i also run garrett turbo's

What do the guys at HKS think of you using other Brands eg the Tomei Dumps and things like that.

Well every time it came down to choice of parts they would say to me .."well HKS make this part but if it was my car I'd recomend using this brand..e.g Tomei etc.

They didnt hold back on advising me what was best to use, absolutely no push to use HKS, only to use what they thought was best for the job !!

I cant wait to see this car tearing up our tracks :)

Love all the pics mate. That is one of the dream set ups I would love to have in my car, one day maybe :O Hopefully we'll see it out and about on the Gold Coast shortly.

Me too fellas, its been a long, long wait ! ..hopefully sometime in August it will all be complied and registered...

further to that - what opinion do hks have about garrett turbo's? would be good to hear feedback straight from the horses mouth

btw i also run garrett turbo's

Marko they hadnt done many setups using the Garretts . They were surprised to compare the -5's to the Hks 2530's on similar setup engine dyno graphs. Garrett -5's was holding peak power for a little longer than the 2530's.

And hi octane sump extension and hypertune plenum? do they like the aussie stuff?

lookin good tho Mark! not long away now!

Hey mate hows things??

Cars all finished (well this stage) and hopefully not far off from hitting aussies shores.

I'll probably cop a bit of flack here but they definitely were impressed with the Aussie gear and pricing but...there were a few little things in finish quality that would stop them selling in Japan.

Had to do a bit of grinding to get the sump to sit up flush and had a few leaks on the welding but we sorted that all.

The plenumn...they kept stressing about the alloy being to thin and would bulge or deform but once it was on that was thrown out the door. They are quite thinner than Jun plenumn. Also the standard stud mounts were too long and they thought should have been addressed with the plenumn build.

Thing is in Japan, when your a customer and you buy a part form say Jun, Trust, HKS, Tomei, Nismo or any of the big manufacturers, you are buying something that should fit first time and with no mods. Thats the service the japanese expect !!

I think with a few of the small problems addressed the Aussie gear definitely has a right to be in the market with the big guns.

While you are at it ask them about Hypertune plenum vs Nismo?

Mike this will open up a can of worms but we built this engine keeping in mind that it was being built for power and performance but also that at latter stage I might want to go for more grunt. Right now its tuned at bit over a lazy 440kw (600ps) and with right fuel setup and turbo/ s it was built to cope for around 580kw (800+ps)

Anyway the original call was to use Endless plenumn http://www.endless-r.co.jp/pe-ji/orijinaru.htm (scroll down)

but with the Aussie dollar impersonating the peso and talking to a few crew that were using the Hypertune plenumn it made sense and finacially to go with that. Havent looked back as they reckon its super high quality and the response is awesome, the only hiccup was the dramas with mounting.

The Nismo plenumn was never on the drawing board but it would have been easier to use as with the Hypertune we had to cut a hole into the wheel fender for the plenumn piping. (Pics to come)

I think for what your going for Mike, the Nismo will be fine. You got to remember the headwork done to my motor was pretty nuts as it got the full treatment from Naprec and then the HKS GTR meisters went to work on it.

Hope that all makes sense fellas!!

FREAKIN AWESOME BUILD! Really appreciate you sharing your photos with us, but i just have one request, are you able to organise them into an order which is closer to the actual build process? Sorry, i dont mean to complain but it seems as if the photos are all over the place. Maybe its just me!

in reference to the quote below, (my quote button doesnt seem to be working)

"The plenumn...they kept stressing about the alloy being to thin and would bulge or deform but once it was on that was thrown out the door. They are quite thinner than Jun plenumn. Also the standard stud mounts were too long and they thought should have been addressed with the plenumn build."

They are absolutely right. I have seen the one on Godzillas drag car and it has bulged/ballooned way out of shape. This may well be because of the amount of boost that is run. not to say that the hypertune is a bad product but i guess thats probably why jun/endless etc charge what they charge.

Keep the pics coming!

FREAKIN AWESOME BUILD! Really appreciate you sharing your photos with us, but i just have one request, are you able to organise them into an order which is closer to the actual build process? Sorry, i dont mean to complain but it seems as if the photos are all over the place. Maybe its just me!

in reference to the quote below, (my quote button doesnt seem to be working)

"The plenumn...they kept stressing about the alloy being to thin and would bulge or deform but once it was on that was thrown out the door. They are quite thinner than Jun plenumn. Also the standard stud mounts were too long and they thought should have been addressed with the plenumn build."

They are absolutely right. I have seen the one on Godzillas drag car and it has bulged/ballooned way out of shape. This may well be because of the amount of boost that is run. not to say that the hypertune is a bad product but i guess thats probably why jun/endless etc charge what they charge.

Keep the pics coming!

Yeah I know what you mean with the pics but the ones I'm posting up are ones taken and sorted by HKS themselves and theres a few hundred of the buggers so trying to put them in some sort of order. I'm posting them up in the order they were given to me.

The main bulk of previous pics were mine and tried to do them in order of the build. When I get time I'll go through them again and see if I can sort them a bit better.

With the plenum, what I was told normal boost up to 2bar is supposed to be no problems at all.

I cant remember exactly how much but Godzillas is way more than that.

Marko they hadnt done many setups using the Garretts . They were surprised to compare the -5's to the Hks 2530's on similar setup engine dyno graphs. Garrett -5's was holding peak power for a little longer than the 2530's.

power to the garretts!

Mike this will open up a can of worms but we built this engine keeping in mind that it was being built for power and performance but also that at latter stage I might want to go for more grunt. Right now its tuned at bit over a lazy 440kw (600ps) and with right fuel setup and turbo/ s it was built to cope for around 580kw (800+ps)

Anyway the original call was to use Endless plenumn http://www.endless-r.co.jp/pe-ji/orijinaru.htm (scroll down)

but with the Aussie dollar impersonating the peso and talking to a few crew that were using the Hypertune plenumn it made sense and finacially to go with that. Havent looked back as they reckon its super high quality and the response is awesome, the only hiccup was the dramas with mounting.

The Nismo plenumn was never on the drawing board but it would have been easier to use as with the Hypertune we had to cut a hole into the wheel fender for the plenumn piping. (Pics to come)

I think for what your going for Mike, the Nismo will be fine. You got to remember the headwork done to my motor was pretty nuts as it got the full treatment from Naprec and then the HKS GTR meisters went to work on it.

Hope that all makes sense fellas!!

Cheers for the reply I really do think the jury is out on aftermarket plenums. Interesting info none the less!

Once again, great build, credit to you.

While Quality is up there at least the Jap stuff fits, Eg the Hypertune Plenum above and the High Octane Sump that leaks.

I would be Pissed if I spent 3k on a plenum and it didnt fit straight on.

While Quality is up there at least the Jap stuff fits, Eg the Hypertune Plenum above and the High Octane Sump that leaks.

i agree - i guess not all aust made bits are at the same caliber as jap stuff

Yes, although the design of the hi octane sump is good, it really is very poorly finished. Casting is VERY rough and like you say a lot of them leaked in the beginning. I suppose attention to detail is what makes Japanese products eye candy to us all. Having said that, not all Japanese products are as well developed as some found in the States and here in Oz.

Edited by AtomicBomberMan

Ive never seen the Hi octane sump up close, I guess with the Plenum, Its not hard to source some shorter studs, but if you are paying labour by the hour it would be a pain.