SAU Community

Hks Japan 2.8 Engine Build

Cheers Andrew..Yeah mate its bloody good to finally see it all together, its about 3 weeks shy of 1 year since I dropped the N1 block off and the whole build began but one can really see the light at the end of the tunnel. Just got a few more things to bolt on, injectors,fuel rail, the 2 month wait hose and few little odds and ends and all done.

The plenumn needs a few mods to get it all to fit flus some pipe fabrication for intake from intercooler. Got to than Paul Dirt Garage for his input and pics as well as Ross (Giant) , thanks fellas !

I'll try get some better close up pics of the plenumn mods on the weekend but you can see the fitting we welded in for air sensor.

Clutch was normal Super Coppermix Twin plate rated at 570ps/493kw but has been fitted with Super Coppermix Twin Competition Model clutch cover and modified and now rated to 780ps/574kw so should ample to handle power output. Be interesting to see if there is ant difference in pedal feel.

Also picked up a bit of a suprise a month or so back. Brand spanking new, in the box GT500 Engine block which I'll be bringing back to oz next year!! I'll put up some pics of that puppy soon.

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Marko..

Originally we were going for an easy 600ps around 440kw by my calculator(http://www.locost7.info/converter.php) but guys reckon we should get closer to 650ps (470 odd kw) but whatever it should be plenty.

Richard

Thanks mate. Yeah I cant wait to hear it fire up, should be soon..

Heres a few more pics..

More head shots during port and polish

35252bf3.jpg

5bb844b6.jpg

9491d87c.jpg

745a9ba4.jpg

5775d85a.jpg

5775d85a.jpg

0cff0935.jpg

Sunline Racing Carbon Cooling panel

b1323395.jpg

Friend of mine makes these Carbon Grills for GTR33's

b77d62d3.jpg

More pics to come later .......

head looks good. same as mine basically. removed squish pads on one side. gives a compromise between response (you loose a little) but you can run more timing/boost with less detonation without them. looks very nicely done. :(

head looks good. same as mine basically. removed squish pads on one side. gives a compromise between response (you loose a little) but you can run more timing/boost with less detonation without them. looks very nicely done. :O

Those pics were before polishing was even finished.

HKS do a build photo documentery for customers and will get CD of pics when all finished. I was away when head was finally done so will post up finished polish pics later.

Thanks for moving the post :)

filf!

cheers :)

GT500 block...Hmm.... I am so jealous!

Yeah that was a find and a half !!

Head work looks great.

I sent the HKS guys your build V-Cam build Matt to have a squizz at, be interesting to see what they think, reckon they will be impressed !!

Throttle Body Port & Polish

8f2a2016.jpg

45d9e84f.jpg

3259b641.jpg

b8d6e355.jpg

2b6274ab.jpg

8db7c70d.jpg

49a0189f.jpg

Using Standard manifolds but they were given the port/polish treatment as well. Ay time of pics not quite finished!!

49a0189f.jpg

P9170224.jpg

P9170227.jpg

P9170231.jpg

Proposed new position for intake pipe to plenumn

JF0S1761.jpg

25215a92.jpg

ENGINE AND GEARBOX IN......Hoobloodyray!

Cam cover is just dummy cover to prent knocks and scratches etc

8fe0dffb.jpg

Good clearance with Hi Octane sump

6033fe82.jpg

Well off to Nismo Festival and Nagoya for a week of debauchery !!

Everything with the engine should be finished by the time I get back and time to fire it up !! Cant wait!1

Only thing we are waiting on is some silicon hoses from Samco.

• 2 weeks later...

Well as per usual while I was away at Nismo festival there were a few hiccups with a delay on hoses and couple of gremlins and the fact that 4 customers decided they wanted engine rebuilds done by xmas that has seen the car not completed yet but should be fired up Tues or Wed this week fingers crossed.

Heres some pics on work to date !!

The end is near!!

19a2796f.jpg

69886edb.jpg

New 90mm Inlet Pipe to Plenumn and new hole position

7b993e34.jpg

New BOV

dea9b475.jpg

Hopefully in the coming week I can throw up some completed pics.

Out of interest would like to hear peoples opinion on running the HKS BOV.

The HKS guys reckon the standard GTR's leak slightly and they want to run to Atmo but going to run plumbed in so hopefully dont get defected back in oz and could not stand hearing a loud pssshhht all bloody day long.

Opinions on aftermarket Bov, + or - welcomed

im not sure about hks bov's but i do know that factory gtr bov's are well and up for the task on big hp setups

where is dirtgarage (aka gtr wikipedia) when u need him?

Yeah I wanted to stick with the standard but they swear they leak and over here everyone seems to run aftermarketand to atmo.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. it's easy to change. rather than p1ss them off by telling them everyone in aus reckons run standard plumb backs just run whatever they recommend. if you hate it or have problems down the line it's not a big deal to change back to a standard type set-up or just buy a trust type R which work great either plumb back or vented to atmosphere. I have run both ways and never had a problem with either. my last GTR making around 330rwkw ran standard and the current one runs twin blitz ones vented to atmosphere and both set-ups work fine.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. it's easy to change. rather than p1ss them off by telling them everyone in aus reckons run standard plumb backs just run whatever they recommend. if you hate it or have problems down the line it's not a big deal to change back to a standard type set-up or just buy a trust type R which work great either plumb back or vented to atmosphere. I have run both ways and never had a problem with either. my last GTR making around 330rwkw ran standard and the current one runs twin blitz ones vented to atmosphere and both set-ups work fine.

Thanks Richard..

Can you or anyone clear something up for me.. is running the Bov to atmo illegal in OZ ???