SAU Community

Hks Japan 2.8 Engine Build

Also with that setup it was going to be an easy 700ps+ and honestly for street setup I think 600ps is plenty.

I personally think its on the bigger turbo setup you really notice the difference. If I decide to throw it on later it will be interesting to see the difference between setups of before and after V-cam.

What I have noticed on cars I have driven that have it is they are smooth. the drivabilaty is great, doesnt feel like you have peformance cams until the lead foot hits and then whammo, that torque hits early !

There are some drags on next weekend that I'm going to unless it rains and there are a few cars going that I know so will try get some vid and pics!

It's never enough power with sticky tyres and especially once you get the hang of it.

It sounds like a good idea to install the V-cam later for comparison but don't you have to reshim the lifters etc etc

It might costs more in the end.

From what you are describing it sounds like one will get more out of the v-cam with an ecu that is capable of dual maps. One map for the v-cam off and one map for the v-cam on. That probably explains why your mate at HKS doesn't think the FC is capable. Most other ECUs in Australia, Autronic or Vipec/G4 or Motec, should be able to do this though.

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would love to test it out on my OS rb26/30 + Jun 11.35 setup but fund doesn't permit either and was hoping that elrodeo666 did not change his mind.

Hey Dan check this http://www.osgiken.co.jp/pro_spec/rb30kit-hks.html

Its OS Giken RB30 running V-cam. You can see how much earlier boost comes on. Trade off is you lose a bit of max rpm and top end power, but the grunt comes on early.

We were talking about it today and for eaxample same engine without V-cam they would set limiter at e.g 9000rpm and with V-cam at 8-8500 rpm.

Also max cam is the 264 with 10mm lift!!

OS has a special on these at the moment .. http://www.osgiken.co.jp/topics/rb315kit.html

Hey Marcus and 9krpm,

You gotta give Benno from Racepace two thumbs up for his tuning prowess with the Power FC, technical knowledge and expert craftsmanship.

The combo of HKS 2.8 Step 2; garrett 2860-5; and V Cam Step 1 Type A - Valve timing 90-120 degress, valve lift 8.6mm, duration IN 248 and ex 256 makes for a very fast and super smooth street car. The idle is much quieter and smoother than my NUR engine, probably partly due to the full counterweighted balanced crank and minimal tolerance engine fabrication.

Ben encountered no problems at all with the installation and wiring of the V Cam. I believe the first one to be installed and tuned locally, independently and successfully in Australia. The V Cam behaves pretty like a piggy back module and operates independently of the Power FC, in fact the power FC receives no input signal for the V Cam at all. The V Cam controller is tucked away under the dash - out of sight.

As Marcus says, the V Cam puts much more oomph in the lower rev range. Th butt dyno can certainly feel that. It makes the car feel 'lighter' off the line, and you feel less urge to rev the crap out of the engine

Here's a teaser picture, more to come soon:

post-32660-1252325427_thumb.jpg

Looking forward to more updates Marcus!

Cheers

Matt

Hey Matt

I think the problem some guys are having is they are using V-cam systems that have been tuned in Japan and not straight outta the box new. Pretty much any V-cam controller that has been tuned here in Japan, especially anything done by HKS will have password lock on the software and will need the tuners pin number to change it. From what I've heard and been told here. is no matter what settings you punch in it will revert back to a limp type mode or previous locked settings and you'll need the software writer and codes to change it.

I could be wrong on this but thats coming from the horses mouth so to speak. Sounds like using new outta the box you have had no probs. Now you got me thinking I should get it done after I get back to Oz.

Good to hear you have had success with it. Drivability of the car is impressive hey, like normal until you hit the angry pedal!!

Keep us udated for sure Matt!!

The V-cam fits in well with those cam covers!!

That's awesome news Matt.

If you can, could you show the dyno of vcam off and vcam on?

What rpm does the cam switch over and is it a gradual switch or immediate?

Beside, rpm is there any other factor (eg throttle position, load etc) that affect this transition?

It's very interesting that you are using the v-cam with a small-ish pair of turbo. Most results I've seen are with huge turbo, which make this even more interesting to see :P

Hi,

I shall ask Ben the exact specs of the V Cam setup, as he does not like to tell his client too much technical details. The truth is in how the car drives he says, and not what the specs are!

I will post dyno graph of V Cam with Garrett-5 compared with Stock NUR with N1 turbos.

I have not got a graphical comparison of V Cam on and off reading. I will try and get that comparison graph at my first 1000km service and tune.

Cheers

Matt

Thanks Matt

Thanks for the "expensive carrot" mate.

It would be nice to have some more midrange power but I have to save it for tyres and other bits for the circuit.

The car has missed enough track days for R&D. It's time to get back and have some fun and worry about the midrange power later.

I do hope that you get it though :blush:

Heres some more porting for Beer Baron

P9100660.jpg

P9100661.jpg

P9100662.jpg

Milk crates seen the norm in Japan for head work

P9100666.jpg

Engine finally out

P9100679.jpg

P9110695.jpg

P9110692.jpg

P9110693.jpg

P9110694.jpg

Nismp Copper Twin clutch apart ready for upgrade parts to Competition model rated close to 570 kw

P9110691.jpg

They were working on this freaky little thing yesterday

P9100657.jpg

HKS RACE EVO

P9100685.jpg

P9110686.jpg

Off to the drags tomorrow for the weekend.

Race day sunday so hopefully weathers good and can get some good pics and video.

Suppose to be 100 plus cars going but its Japan and anything can happen

P9100661.jpg

It's good to see your project is progressing well but I cringe every time I see these pics.

elrodeo666 please help your mate and tell him to wear a P1 mask (equivalent to a paper mask at least). The aluminium dust is associated with Alzheimer and early dementia, not to mention other problems associated with metals and silica impurities exposure from the casted head.

Edited by 9krpm

lol, the ol milk crate. same as tets except he uses a wedge of wood instead of the fancy plastic wedge they have at HKS, and he does wear a paper mask. :) the amount of alloy dust that comes out is amazing. lots of material removed and you want none of it in your lungs. tets is covered in it after a good porting session, in his ears etc. d'oh!

• 2 months later...

Well after waiting 2 long months for a small engine hose from Nissan (a#$ewipe,f#$kheads) Japan the part finally arrived and engine is finished and ready to drop in.

A little bit of fabrication being done positioning new inlet pipe for hypertune plenumn first then engine will be put into its new home!!

Seriously Nissan japan are complet A-holes. I was there when the parts manager dropped the hose off and normally in Japan, for making a big company or even little company for that fact, to have to wait so long, old mate would have been bowing and grovelling so low and uttering "we are so sorry" a million times. NOT NISSAN.

Nope it was just sign here and goodbye !! I dunno what it like in Oz but they are pretty shit when it comes to customer service in the spare parts dept! Actually they are useless full stop and pretty arrogant for Japanese.

Anyway engine is done, finally and first tuning should all be done by the time I get back from Nismo festival.

Heres a few pics

New HKS Oil Cooler

JF0S1760.jpg

RH9 Hi Amp Alternator, ATI Balancer and N1 Water Pump

JF0S1754.jpg

HKS Adjustable Cam Gear

JF0S1755.jpg

Engine Rear View

JF0S1756.jpg

Carbon cam pulley cover and Coil pack cover

JF0S1750.jpg

Engine view front