SAU Community

Hks Japan 2.8 Engine Build

Not alot going on with car at the moment.

Got back from 10 trip driving to Tokyo and back to do first run in. Cars in back at HKS for next tuning which we start this thursday.

They are flat out there at the moment having 4 engine rebuilds come in just before xmas. The HKS Step 0 2.8 kits are real popular here and HKS have sold outof stock and nothing new until late Feb/early March.

We are working on a new gearbox solution at the moment as real difficult to get hold of OS Gearsets these days. Got one lead on a set so see how it ends up.

The car is supposed to be delivered to Osaka in mid march to be sent to OZ but contimplating putting that off for 6 weeks to get new box done plus have new Nismo 400R front bumper and lip that could possibly go. Not sure yet as may sell them, havent made up my mind . Seeing the car is going to end up in Oz I was thinking the standard look maybe better in not attracting boys in blue attention.

Anyway will hopefully put up some pics and vid of next dyno tuning and hopefully some charts.

The run to Tokyo and back was fun. Bit of a let down having the car tuned with 4000 RPM limit and bugger all boost but even squeezing the go fast pedal ever so lightly you can feel the grunt this thing has. Feels like a caged animal waiting to be set free...soon..very soon.

Definitely will have to change the rear exhaust and muffler, running HKS Silent high Power but it aint that silent and definitely think I'll get pinned in Oz for that, plus I think the constant droning will get to me in the end.

But for now the grumble on idle with the cams sounds great and it was a blast to drive the thing after 5 months off the road, now looking forward to driving the thing in anger!!

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Mike its just a high response kit using standard turbo or the GT-SS turbo's or alike.

Lightweight Counter balanced crank but not forged.

Max 8000rpm and around the 600ps power output.

• 3 weeks later...
The car is supposed to be delivered to Osaka in mid march to be sent to OZ but contimplating putting that off for 6 weeks to get new box done plus have new Nismo 400R front bumper and lip that could possibly go. Not sure yet as may sell them, havent made up my mind . Seeing the car is going to end up in Oz I was thinking the standard look maybe better in not attracting boys in blue attention.

Mark, are you bringing the car back as a personal import?

Mark, are you bringing the car back as a personal import?

Yeah mate ..personal import otherwise I'd be up for a wack of coin to change it back to standard.

Hopefully get it around mid may in time for Superlap but reckon I'll be pushing it theres a few little things being done before it can go plus waiting on import approval paperwork .

pimping

Cheers mate

do you plan to drive that car in australia? as awesome as it would be, that car will never pass compliance the way it is.

Its coming in as a personal import bloke !!

Go away D/H

thanks Bigmikespec !!

There hasnt been alot going on as HKS's f$#king dyno shat itself and we've been waiting on parts to fix it. Car need 2 more tuning setups which they will do after I leave and then the car will be sent. Well thats the plan anyway.

We chucked in a high capacity harness and relay setup and moved the HKS EVC5 boost controller inside the arm rest compartment to try hide it. Also setup a Scramble boost switch on the dash to give 10 seconds of 2 bar boost which outta be fun. :rofl:

I'll chuck up some pics later

d/h?

just that nearly all the experience i have had with police have ended in defects for some people. they usually go over the cars with a fine tooth comb to find something to fine ya for.

what suspension work has been done? when it comes to australia, plan to hit the tracks?

No offense intended bloke.

Its just running Nismo S Tune front and rear.

Hicas has been replaced with ATTKD Hicas cancel bar and Whiteline Swaybar, camber kit and Whiteline suspension bushes kitted out through whole car plus ATTKD Alloy bush brace .

The thing handles pretty bloody well but havent has a chance to drive it at full anger with the new engine.

Yeah hopefully I'll get it on the track at sometime. Plan was to give it a belt around roads around Tokyo and Osaka before putting it on the boat but my visa has finished so have to leave in a couple of weeks.

Probably wont drive it much initially in Oz as still a work in progress as have a box being built , some brakes to source and I'll have to get them sent from here in Japan later on.

Hey Mark, awesome car man, love the set up, so jealous. since u are in japan and are in contact with hks, would you be able to do me a favour, could you ask them do they have rebuild kits or anything for hks coilovers still, as i have a set in my R33 gtr, and was wondering how they go about them in japan when they leak? as im sure i will come across this sooner or later, and they are an awesome coilover. so far performance wholesale here in qld seem to be the sole hks distributor in oz, and i was told by them nobody in australia services them really, then was told to try a local place in brissy who might be able to rebuild them.

You can PM me info if u find anything out

Many Thanks

Darren

Hey Mark, awesome car man, love the set up, so jealous. since u are in japan and are in contact with hks, would you be able to do me a favour, could you ask them do they have rebuild kits or anything for hks coilovers still, as i have a set in my R33 gtr, and was wondering how they go about them in japan when they leak? as im sure i will come across this sooner or later, and they are an awesome coilover. so far performance wholesale here in qld seem to be the sole hks distributor in oz, and i was told by them nobody in australia services them really, then was told to try a local place in brissy who might be able to rebuild them.

Many Thanks

Darren

Darren, i got mine rebuilt in Brisbane...cannot recall the name but my friend who put me onto them will know. Ill find out for you tomorrow and let you know.

Many Thanks

Darren

Hey Darren If i was you I'd follow up Pauls offer to get them fixed up in Oz because it would cost you some solid $ in postage to get them sent here to rebuilt and send them back.

I can find out for you and let you know but I'd follow Pauls lead first !!

nah i wasnt going to send them back tpo j-land, was just wondering how they went about fixing them now that apprently hks dont make rebuild kits for them anymore. are they binners once they leak or they just use aftermarket parts or something.

Paul i was told to use TSR (total shock reco) @ slacks creek by performance wholesale. maybe this is who your thinking of, anyway mine are out of the car at the moment, and i need to get them looked at by somebody to tell whether or not they need a rebuild, then il look into rebuilding them. also depends on cost aswell, might not be economical, which would be a shame if they need doing.

nah i wasnt going to send them back tpo j-land, was just wondering how they went about fixing them now that apprently hks dont make rebuild kits for them anymore. are they binners once they leak or they just use aftermarket parts or something.

Paul i was told to use TSR (total shock reco) @ slacks creek by performance wholesale. maybe this is who your thinking of, anyway mine are out of the car at the moment, and i need to get them looked at by somebody to tell whether or not they need a rebuild, then il look into rebuilding them. also depends on cost aswell, might not be economical, which would be a shame if they need doing.

Yes thats them...i think it was $800 for the set to be done.

Thanks Richard..

Can you or anyone clear something up for me.. is running the Bov to atmo illegal in OZ ???

it's probably technically illegal but really ANYTHING non-standard is technically illegal. will you have a problem with it? depends on which state really and who pulls you over. personally I've never had a problem and had lots of cars with them over the years. :laugh:

if you need any help with the import side send me a message. it should be no problem at all to import and register in your state of choice. :laugh:

Thanks for that Richard..I have someone on it at the moment, he has a cooking show named after him !

Been meaning to throw a few more pics and info up lately but been flat out packing 2 houses up for move to Oz.

Well theres been a delay on the tuning as HKS's Dyno Pack computer decided to shit itself and has taken almost 3 weeks to get fixed but the car was back on the dyno getting some tuning done today.

They should have final tune done by March 15th.

The classic is they want to do road tuning after that... 2 of them screaming down the highway, one driving and one tweaking on the computer..the Jap tuning way. They reckon they squeeze and extra2-3% more performance outta the car after a final full boost dyno tune.

I think if I was going full bore on going big power on the car I'd go for it but happy to leave it as finished with the Dyno tune and get the thing to Oz asap and then I drive the bloody thing. Just waiting for import approval to come through.

We had the car on the dyno yesterday doing the base setting of 1.2 Bar for the A setting Standard) on the Boost controller.

The Dyno's computer decided to play silly buggers and we couldnt get a reading of max output but going on the graph they reckon it was making a bit over 400Kw's atw and final boost setting will be around 1.5 maybe 1.6 and should make a comfortable 450 kw's.

Not sure on the scramble boost limit yet but somewhere around 1.8bar to 2bar for 10secs of woooosh !!

Whatever it finishes up with it should be a handfull !!

It should be all tuned by tomorrow or Monday at the latest and ready to send to Oz. Just waiting on import approval and send the bugger off.

I'm in Tokyo then Nagoya for a few days of Sayonara with some friends and some business.

We're about to head off for a feed then off to Daikoku futo for a bit and some runs later on the highways..e.g Wagan !!

Hopefully sometime next week I'll have a dyno chart to put up here.