SAU Community

Got Over 400kw Atw?

T04GTR

I would say they would just support two Walbro 460's, if you were mad enough to try and run twin intanks at that kind of insane power. Realistically at much over 400kw you would have to look at upgrading them I think, but there is no reason stock lines shouldn't flow over 600kw of fuel. Keen to try it out?

The evo I just built has a 4mm restriction in the return line in-tank, and the reg can still bypass enough fuel to keep the fuel pressure under 30psi at idle using a single 460L.

What did u change to fix it?

I went with twin in tank pumps and twin feed to the rail. Relays, wiring all that stuff was done too and it's running perfectly. Iv also got custom adaptors and lid to make it all work.

I would say they would just support two Walbro 460's, if you were mad enough to try and run twin intanks at that kind of insane power. Realistically at much over 400kw you would have to look at upgrading them I think, but there is no reason stock lines shouldn't flow over 600kw of fuel. Keen to try it out?

The evo I just built has a 4mm restriction in the return line in-tank, and the reg can still bypass enough fuel to keep the fuel pressure under 30psi at idle using a single 460L.

Why would you want to have your fuel pressure at under 30psi? Or is that standard for mitsubishi?

Unless you plan on running 40+psi (but you doing that wouldn't surprise me :P)

While we are on the topic of fuel systems.

Is there an option for an aftermarket or custom fuel tank lid? One that would allow bigger electrical connections and fuel lines?

I'm going to run a single 460 Walbro intank and at the track just keep the tank almost full.

But for the wiring I'm going to drill a hole in the factory lid and feed some 25A wiring direct to the pump and bypass the connections. Then I'll seal it up with something that doesn't react with ethanol or petrol.

I've always thought that in the future if I changed to a bigger snail and had to upgrade the fuel system I could install a transformer of such and step the voltage on the 460 up over 14V to keep up. For a street car a single intank pump is an attractive option

Their website appears to be down atm

but

There was one for sale on here the other day

http://www.sau.com.au/forums/topic/456453-fs-powerhouse-racing-fuel-hat/?hl=%2Bpowerhouse#entry7532045

That looks like a pretty good option. How do the pumps sit in the cradle though? Or do they just hang and you somehow sit the pickups on the floor of the tank?

Ah nice.

This must be how they sit (below), I'd never really looked at this as an option previously but it looks nice and neat. I'm sitting on the limit of my single in-tank walbro 460 as well with 450rwkw.

Here's a pic I found but can't embed:

http://www.nissansilvia.com/forums/index.php?s=8af826ece3f8929f2721f38bcd721dfe&app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=344551

I used a Gorilla supplied PHR bulkhead with twin 255 walbros as lifts, and a Holley 1800 pressure pump. The 255's flow 300lt/hr with no head pressure, which can keep up with the 1800.

I have paired one lift with each side of the pressure pump, and use speed control and pump staging.

As Darren suggested though, the 5LT AI tank with 1-5 pumps makes good sense. Use the stock or a 460 as a lift pump (R32's only), and use the large surge tank as a main supply source.

This makes the most sense or R33/R34's too, as there will be no issues with the size of the return pressurising the surge tank, yet the syphon venturi will still work.

I'm sitting on the limit of my single in-tank walbro 460 as well with 450rwkw.

Why would you want to have your fuel pressure at under 30psi? Or is that standard for mitsubishi?

Unless you plan on running 40+psi (but you doing that wouldn't surprise me :P)

I have the injector overhead to run lower base pressure, and that allows the pump to flow much more, especially as the boost climbs. Yes I am running 32-34 psi at the track on a Hypergear highflow atm. :)

JH32 have you tried lowering the pressure a little? If you do your pump will flow a little more. Depends how much more you need out of the fuel system. No way I would be spending $1200 to get a twin intank setup going, the Stagea twin 255 setup cost me nothing.

Whatever you do, don't drill and seal the tank lid for thicker wiring, it will definitely leak, I have seen it a few times. Do it properly with an alloy lid spun up on a lathe, then get your own bulkhead fittings and a multi pin sealed plug if you can find one. EFI hardware may have the parts you need.

What about the boost a pump voltage boosters?

Ken bell is a brand I think.

They are used with commodores to make the stock pump cope with turbo or supercharging.

Agreed, the Walbro can handle 18V or more, and it will actually lower the current draw of the pump. That will help with leaning on the 460's flow. You would need a Dc to Dc converter willing to push 30amps continuous though.