SAU Community

The Greatest Car Movies

Duncan

This one is a doco more than a movie. I've had it for years, and can't understand why I'd forgotten to add it, but it's "Super Speedway." I'm sure I'm not the only one who's seen this.

It features Mario and Michael Andretti, and is narated by Paul Newman. The cars used are from the Newman/Haas team, and it was filmed for IMAX, so the quality, even today, stands up quite well!

Set up your home theatre, turn up the volume and play this one on a big screen!

SuperSpeedway.com

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bullit was just on TCM tonight, I switched over for the chase, and the cool music & muscle car sound

esp. mcqueen double de-clutching.

then switched off. Great movie if you've not seen it.

how great the cars sounded even with those tiny straw exhausts!

Now you know it was only a matter of time before I found this thread right :blink:

I'm voting for a "Love The Beast" night at the drive-in near Eastern Creek?

It has a chance of being good cos there's a chance of seeing our broken 32s in the background... without giving away the ending we ended up parked in a holding yard next to Mr Bana's beast :P

all time fav is smokey and the bandit, theres something about a black trans-am that does it for me, lol

and theres a film about some irish car theives made in the 80's and i cant think of the name, joyriders maybe, was a good flick too.

Pretty sure the movie you're thinking of is Shopping.

Cool movie.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0111173/

hahathat s funny. no steat beltgs in the tarnsam either

smokey and the banfit 1977u

knight rider 1982

poontic got som egoood exposure back thnefor their direbird,. not sure what ot counts for now they've all gone brokr though

• 3 weeks later...
Bullit and running on empty
Running on empty is one of my favourites

oh man you have to be careful with movies.

turns out running on empty is also a classic movie with river phoenix discovering his amazing talent as a pianist while on the run with his hippy pacifist parents. don't accidently download the wrong one, it is veeeeeeeeeery boring.

watching duel instead.

any other suggestions?

Heres a list of most of what's in my cabinet re: car movies

I've added a few worthy mc and truck flicks, there's some gold in amongst this mountain of crap.

vanishing point

le mans 71

american graffitti

christine

dual

running on empty

madmax 1

madmax 2

wages of fear (trucks)

on any sunday (mc)

easy rider (mc)

hell riders (mc)

deathproof

the getaway

bullitt

2 lane blacktop

faster pussy cat..kill kill

thunderbirds episode "move and you're dead"

the FJ holden

the gumball rally

gran prix

the wild ride

gone in 60 seconds (original and remake)

junkman (original gone in 60 seconds sequel)

cherry 2000

taladega nights

metal skin

roadkill

wraith

repo man

Darwin awards (for the rocket car)

the fast and the furious (1940's)

They always play that running on empty on foxtel! Annoys the shit out of me when I get in to bed and see that in the program and turn to it and have no cars :unsure:

turns out running on empty is also a classic movie with river phoenix discovering his amazing talent as a pianist while on the run with his hippy pacifist parents. don't accidently download the wrong one, it is veeeeeeeeeery boring.

watching duel instead.

any other suggestions?

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

watching duel instead.

any other suggestions?

ahaha finally got to watch running on empty and it is gold!

paper money! omg this was made in 82 and is an absolute crack up! and he runs NOS! 2 of the big bottles muahahahha. It is seriously hilarious. I've never seen an XB falcon cop car either. not to mention a blind, drag racing, inspirational mechanic. and ugly dave as a cop. not to mention open racism from the days before political correctness "what a lot of sauce from such a small piece of spagheti"

And they dead set wreck at least 2 GTHO falcon which is min of $1.5m these days. I guess this was before they got expensive judging by the budget for the rest of the film.

And we get to see deborah conway's boobies before she got famous (if in fact she ever did. get famous I mean. I guess this was only the beginning)

this review sums it up sooooo well:

The aim of this eccentric, almost so-bad-it’s-good, film made by the Film Corporation of West Australia but set in NSW, seems to have been to produce a kind of Rebel Without A Cause meets Mad Max. Centered around the character of Mike (Terry Serio) and his girlfriend Julie (Deborah Conway) who are involved in a illegal street-racing scene, we get treated to an unholy mix of post-teen romance, gawd-awful 80s fashion, farce, awful acting (or the absence of it), car stunts, red-necks, bare-breasted skinny chicks, repressed homosexuality and 50s rock n’roll. On the upside the cinematography by David Gribble is excellent, particularly in the country scenes, which capture the Australian blue and gold with a near hyper-real clarity, and the stunts are well-done for their day. Everything else about the film could be used to blackmail those involved. Aside from his character as written, Max Cullen’s turn as Rebel, a blind mechanic and self-styled philosopher of the zen of road-racing is ludicrous, if not downright embarrassing and Deb Conway who, despite a brief singing appearance in Peter Greenaway’s Prospero’s Books, rightly concluded that her future was not in film, bad as her wardrobe was, should have kept what she had on. Fortunately for her, success was not far off with the band Do Re Mi and their song Man Overboard, 1985. Had this film not been such a dog’s dinner (was that the aim? who knows? ), Terry Serio, who like Conway, also fronted pop bands (in his case The Elks) might have gone on to be another Mel Gibson. As it was, he stumbled through a few more unsuccessful features and turns up in occasional in local TV dramas. The film was released as Fast Lane Fever in America where the street car fraternity apparently take it seriously. BH

everyone seriously must watch this. get drunk first it helps