SAU Community

The Greatest Car Movies

Duncan

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 years later...

The Wraith and Corvette Summer are pretty good movies.

Oh dammit. I was told this 2 1/2 years ago but never watched it until now.

Wraith is an absolute classic car movie. It had everyting you could want:

* A genuine running prototype (a dodge turbo of all things).

* Charlie Sheen before he was cool. then uncool....spouting philosophy and hitting on the chick with 80s hair (yes, both he and the chick sport classic 80s hair)

* The super tought gang members apparently have helmets rolling around in the footwells that they put on when they do their racing up to the lookout.

* They have fast forward driving scenes that knight rider would be embarrassed about

* The same car exploding 3 different ways in the same crash

* A spectacular mid 80s sound track

On a much sader note, and a reminder about the days before verything was computer generated....one of the film crew was killed, and another paralysed, after a crash while shooting a chase scene. These guys did it the real way.

Wraith is in my collection. Love that guy with the crazy hair saying "It's a Wraith man! and evil spirit or somthing." And of course Gutter Boy and Skank - lol!

Hard to believe we thought that long tail dodge was that shiat back in the day. Look how high it is! And pretty young Sherilyn Fenn in it too - hubba hubba.

If you like really cheesy 70/80's car movies there was this B-rate jobbie with Ron Howard - Eat My Dust. He steals a race car camaro and proceeds to outrun the cops everywhere. Basically a rip off of smokie and the bandit.

check out midnight wangan little bit cheesy but there are some cool race scenes between an old school black bird porsche and a cool old 280z

sometimes carbies are cooler then turbo

Edited by vorse

yeah Chris, for sure. I reckon Ronin might be *the* best car movie. I was ->| |<- close to choosing it tonight.

The problem is once you know the twist it takes some of the interest out.

But still "A+++ would use again"

yup !!

Worth getting the DVD on how this was made...

I don't think "Against All Odds" has been mentioned yet.

Woods in a 911 Vs J Bridges the Maranello man

Some of those YouTube movies are from studios that no longer exist, or similar circumstances where there's no-one left to claim royalties or whatever; others are there because they're available (or have been released) under a Creative Commons licence.

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2012/06/monday-night-web-movie-500-full-length-movies-you-can-stream-completely-free/

many years ago I saw a black nd white movie with a car chase through a euro city rome or paris or who knows.

Very vague here but the cars were possibly a peugot and a fiat or similar.

At the time it was coined as the father of modern car chase movies and the driving was incredible.

No special effects or gimmicks just raw talent steering through some of the tightest strteets you could imagine.

I hav been trying for years to get a handle on it but cant find it any where.

Any old fogies here remember it ?......Terry :action-smiley-069:

I can only remember the old B&W footage of Fangio fanging it through the streets of Paris in the early hours of the morning.

There was an extremely impressive boat chase through the canals of Amsterdam in the film called "Puppet On A Chain" circa '71 I think

I've always been on the lookout for this at Cash Converters to see if my memory has built up the awesomeness of those few minutes into an expectation far in excess of what it really is Noel hehe

Well, I'll just have to google it think. I've always thought it was better than the chases in Moonraker