SAU Community

Hypergear Turbochargers and High flow Services Development thread

Yeah as above, it depends on the cams. For all intents and purposes, as far as you're concerned you won't lose VCT. I don't think there's any point whatsoever putting any cams in the RB25 for testing purposes that don't retain VCT. 256deg Tomei poncams seem to be the best and most common cam upgrade for mild/street RB25s, and I believe they retain VCT. Not NEEDED, but they fatten up the midrange.

Got the Fnt turbine ended T67 dummy fitted today, and went for a little test cruise with my current SS2 tune.

oncar.jpg

I personally recon its pretty laggy for every day road use. It does have very decent top end, but its down in power and torque mid range. on 22psi In 3rd foot to floor its starts to pull really hard from 4500RPMs all the way to 7200 limiter. With limiter at 8500RPMs on tracks its probably alright, I think I will be seeing close to 400rwkws on my next tune. Since the the FNT housing is in .82, the smaller 10cm turbine might produce better response.

I got a overlay print on my final SS2 run, This graph explains about the missing mid range very well.

Blue is my last .70 SS2 bush bearing high mount Ex Gate

Red is .60 SS2 Ceramic roller bearing ported stock manifold internally gated

Pink and orange is 10CM T67 on high mount Ex Gated

All running E85

t67vs.jpg

t67vsboost.jpg

Seems to be what most people are getting out of E85 from the dynosheet section, even Simon's T67's not showing true potential till 7000RPMs+, there is no match in mid range power and torque to SS1PU.

fypbrah

Tao, u change turbo's every week :)

Yes, and high mount made it easier, all back to the SS2 now :P. I should be hitting up strips more often.

Most of customers are using it for road, I would prefer turbos with very good power and torque within usable rev range on stock cams and cam gears.

Making the external gate billet SS1 and SS1.5 at moment. They should be super duper responsive on road.

2ndly do you guys get up really early or never to go bed at all?

Hey stao, just out of interest; how much would it cost to convert my ATR43G3 nissan 6 bolt internal gater to this current SS2 nissan 6 bolt internal gater?

Haha, about time :)

Hey stao, just out of interest; how much would it cost to convert my ATR43G3 nissan 6 bolt internal gater to this current SS2 nissan 6 bolt internal gater?

New comp wheel and comp cover only ;) the rest of it is reused.

Shouldnt cost much but should be epic as all fek.

Wasteland does not sleep.

But then again do you ever sleep & when you do are your dreams about turbos?

No I dream about hot chicks licking my turbos :P

To do that we need to:

Sleeve and re-profile the comp housing and back plate: $150

Compressor wheel: $200

Balance & Assembly the CHRA assembly then the turbo assembly.: $70

Total: $420

It will becomes a SS2 in .70 comp housing used on the test car with Nissan IW assembly. It won't be able to unleash its full potential till fitted with a proper exhaust manifold and externally gated plus a good tuner of course.

Some updates on the new billet SS1 and SS1.5:

I've had both housings machined to suit the core.

IMGP8732.JPG

They will be using a SS1PU's externally gated turbine with 3inch outlet. This housing was customized to suit my current front pipe that was made for the SS2, so looks bad after been chopped and welded it few times but I got it fit on the end.

IMGP8733.JPG

IMGP8737.JPG

All fitted up and ready to go. will do some road tests tomorrow.

IMGP8748.JPG

Well I can't really do much till its tuned. This turbo has a totally different rear wheel and housing compare to the SS2 so I'm not very confident flooring it at this point. How ever I did let it on 12psi external gate pressure and its very responsive and probably due to the effect of the external gate and manifold the torque was incredible.

Driving wise it feels like having a R34 turbo on a R33, turbo comes a live with just a little bit of throttle, ie tap 20% throttle and the turbo whistles to boost, floor it = a very big pull.

There are generally two kinds of feed backs, its either this car's got some serious power or this car is very fast. I think All SS1xx series belongs to the 2nd category. I've swapped the SS2 back on so I can drive the car, will post results for all turbos once Trent gets back from overseas. at moment I'm modifying the 10cm turbine housing to suit my front pipe, be interested to find out the on road behavior of my billet SL2 20G and 25G on Rb25det.