SAU Community

Hypergear Turbochargers and High flow Services Development thread

Had a big day yesterday. I've had both new comp wheels trailed. Both of them are super responsive, feels like stock turbo pulling big power. Results are based on E85 fuel, high mount and plumbed back external gate.

The new billet SS1 with 60mm wheel:

Maxed out at 276rwkws, made 20psi by 3500RPMs. This turbo is bit small for a Rb25det, it is perfect for a SR20det and Rb20dets. when used as a bolton turbocharger internally gated with pump 98 it is good for around the 220rwkws mark.

IMG_014.jpg

The SS1.5 made 298rwkws peek, also 20psi by 3500RPMs. This turbo can be used on Rb25det, Rb20det or Sr20dets. Used as stock bolton on pump fuel, it is capable of around the 240rwkws mark.

IMG_008.jpg

IMG_009.jpg

Stao I had been waiting for these results for some time now, but I can see that the SS1PU on 98 fuel is still trumping them in every way?

On 98 the SS1PU (71mm) has more power and torque @ 3000 and 4000 RPM than both. In theory the 60 and 64mm compressors should at least have more @ 3000 and I would have thought the 64mm would have more at 4000? Especially considering the 60 and 64 were tested on E85 and highmount and the SS1PU was not.

Ultimately I cannot see the SS1PU doing anything but smashing these turbos in every way once on par. Considering your SS1PU result was on the stock manifold and 98, and these are on a highmount EWG with E85.

Any thoughts?

Yeah, I'm wondering if its something to that effect or if the SS1PU is just superior.

By COB next week I will know just how well the SS1PU performs on my SR.

The new billet SS1 with 60mm wheel:

Maxed out at 276rwkws, made 20psi by 3500RPMs. This turbo is bit small for a Rb25det, it is perfect for a SR20det and Rb20dets. when used as a bolton turbocharger internally gated with pump 98 it is good for around the 220rwkws mark.

What trim is the 60mm compressor wheel?

It doesn't show much on the dyno as it is 4th gear 100% throttle. But through every day driving using 20%, 30% or 50% throttle the difference is very noticeable. And this is probably as responsive as it can go in terms of not chocking the engine.

I've also trailed two bigger turbos yesterday, while the maximum that I could reach was 370rwkws regardless size of the turbocharger. Which is probably at factory cam shaft's limit.

Below is G3 in Type A rear housing:

IMG_011.jpg

and SS3 in Type A rear housing

IMG_012.jpg

After comparing results it appears the SS2 is probably one of the best turbos in its range for Rb25dets with factory cam shafts. It can perform reasonably well internally or externally gated and used as a bolton turbocharger.

While the SS1.5 and SS2 are the best turbos for people chasing mild power while maintain factory's driving ability.

The Billet SS1 and SS1.5 would be an excellent upgrade for factory Rb20det and SR20det's interms of mild power and response.

Also is the ss1pu overlayed in those results in pink or not if so seems to make more power and torque nearly everywhere down low there's barely any difference seems the better choice

If the ss1pu result was on e85 aswell not 98 should have made up for the power and response down low

Edited by hy_rpm

Pink is also ss1.5 the whole sheet represent the 1.5 with different boost levels. Also it could because the SS1PU was trailed on a stock manifold, the billet SS1 and 1.5 is definitely more responsive.

Turbine side of the SS1xx is identical, only the compressor size is different, theoretically small comp wheel deliver better response. I've used a large .86 turbine for the Rb25det, Smaller .64 turbine housings are used when configuring SR20det and Rb20det engines.

Because I didn't have a ready built SS1PU on that day other wise it should make very decent power on the high mount setup. Will trail that on my next visit to Trents.

With the SS1PU If you can run 23psi of boost, they can make up to 280rwkws on stock manifold internally gated. Other wise they generally be making around the 260rwkws on 18psi.

I'll see how gtscotts car goes what cams you running in your sr20

Mine is running Poncam type R's 256/11.5

Also a freshly built motor, bc springs/retainers/gears, cp pistons, manley rods, 850ccs, the works. The only thing im worried about is my HD clutch, fingers crossed on that front.

It will be dropped off at unigroup on Tuesday and ill be telling them to put my backyard skills to the real test.

lol thanks man. so far so good, it runs well and sounds solid without a drop of oil or smoke.

Its taken me 6 months to build it, funds permitting, so Im really looking forward to a rewarding result wherever possible.

Sweet same place I get my car tuned Unigroup yavuz is a great tuner

Got the same cams aswell buts yours has VCt as if you had larger cams would be laggier but more top end

What boost you going to run ?

Are you going to test it out at wsid after ?

Edited by hy_rpm

Non VCT man, I ditched the VCT because its too problematic in the SR's. Went with S13 type cams and got adjustable gears instead.

I'll just let them boost it till it stops making power to be honest lol, yeah I will get out to the creek once its all done for sure. Never been before though so for the first few times I plan to be just watching the traps to see if it backs up the power. Dont have any bags either so a little worried about what tyres to run too.

Further update: This is SS2 turbocharger have trailed of our newer brass bearing setup with alternative oil delivery gallery. Video shown turbocharger after the car has been shut from idle. On road it starts building boost and build boost to full just noticeably faster